UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Leaky Alternator cover... torque settings?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by davkyt View Post
Lean over to the right how far roughly?
As above, until it doesn't leak.

But if you get the bike level and see how far the oil is on the other (window) side then it's the same on the left side so, probably a fairly good lean angle required to stop it spilling out - certainly more than a 'side stand lean'.

For what it takes I'd drain the oil and if you really don't want to pay for fresh stuff just refill with the old.

If you're really concerned with threebond blocking the oilways then; you're using too much but there are gasket sealants* that get round the problem by only setting in the absence of air (anaerobic) with any excess just washing away with the oil, not sure if they seal as well though?

* e.g. Loctite 518 or for a cheaper equivalent this stuff; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/518-Anaer...53.m2749.l2649

Also, good call on checking the alternator nut torque whilst in there but you will then require a flywheel holding tool...

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
davkyt

I’ll use the Three bond. Rather than squeezing **** loads out of the tube tho I might brush it on or use a smaller syringe
Old 14-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
If you're really concerned with threebond blocking the oilways then; you're using too much
I agree but my point was cautionary given the amount of spread possible from the 3mm bead they recommend.

As I say, the flexible silicone sealants are really cost saving exercises for the factories and being a bit old school I tend to make my own gaskets when they’re no longer available.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F141462465314