UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 916

Old 24-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
jonyb

ok , i have been asking your opinions of 695 v s2r but what really floats my boat is a 916 monster!! a few senna 916's floating about. they look awsome. my idea of a retro monster? only mod is termingnolis tail pipes. what would you pay ?
Old 25-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
916 Monster?

916 in capacity only- a completely different animal to the engine in a '916' and a completely different animal to the air cooled Monsters too.

I'm not going to set the debate off again but I have had my 900 around fourteen years now but back around 2005 I bought an S4 with the intention of keeping the bike I preferred the most.

Bearing in mind at the time I also had a beautiful (shhhh!!) 1996 Suzuki GSX-R750WT SRAD, I was expecting to prefer the faster, better suspended and more modern feeling S4 but after constantly riding the Monsters back to back I just couldn't help loving the old air cooled character more.

There has honestly never been a bike I have owned that has ALWAYS put a smile on my face in the same way as when I first rode a bike (SUZUKI TS50ER) legally on the road on my sixteenth birthday!!

Don't get me wrong, if I could make some more room I would have as many bikes of all kinds (Okay- I mean more Ducati's) in my garage as I could but there's no way I'd make space by getting rid of my old 900.

As I said in your previous thread- try and ride as many variants as you can before making your mind up but if you do only ride just one and go for it, as long as it's a good 'un I doubt you'll regret it.

On a side note, worth remembering if you have to pay someone to service it the 4v motors are a fair bit more to look after with twice as many shims and more expensive belts etc. so make sure nothing has been skimped on in it's past.
Old 25-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
jonyb

thanks. in no rush too buy. to much choice .
Old 25-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Ride a S4 - they're not for everyone - love mine and prefer it over all the other Monsters, it suits how I ride but is "special" to say the least and not everyone's cup of tea.

You'll know if it's for you or not once you've ridden one - have fun.

Mechanics and servicing - do it all myself and no more complicated nor expensive than my other bikes - just different.
Old 25-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
DaveDude1976

Loved riding my S4.....................before it got nicked, but now getting it back together. Hopefully riding again next week if my parts arrive
Old 27-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
mholc123

OK I love my M900 and sadly it's now part of my retirement plan, but the S4R was a totally different kettle of fish, faster smoother and more refined. The 1200 is another step up ................. and I love it.
It actually doesn't matter which Monster you buy you'll love it.

Mike
Old 27-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
would have thought around the £2800-3200k mark for a decent S4 although I have seen them go a little cheaper than that

do look for a decent one with a service history

the S4 is a great bike but it will be a harder bike to ride than the s2r/695 especially at lower speeds
its 20KG+ heavier, it has stacks more torque and it also has a dry clutch that makes keeping the beast under your left finger tips that little bit harder work.

go ride one to see if you like it
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Duncan

I like to think that when Galluzzi designed the Monster as a minimalist bike it embodied the spirit of Ducati and that air cooling, light weight and simplicity was an intrinsic part.
Bolting a bog ugly water cooled lump with the plumbing associated with it might have satisfied a part of the market wanting BHP but it was at the expense of its looks.
These bikes are great but in my opinion they don't look like an air cooled Monster. I would buy an air cooled S2R 1000 for my money. They go well and are smooth.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Mechanics and servicing - do it all myself and no more complicated nor expensive than my other bikes - just different.
Quite possibly but my point was that compared to an air cooled Monster there are twice as many valves to check/replace shims of and the belts are more expensive if servicing costs are an issue when paying someone else to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholc123 View Post
OK I love my M900 and sadly it's now part of my retirement plan,
Don't say it's tucked away waiting to go up in value puuurlease???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholc123 View Post
It actually doesn't matter which Monster you buy you'll love it.
I do agree there is a good chance of this however!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I like to think that when Galluzzi designed the Monster as a minimalist bike it embodied the spirit of Ducati and that air cooling, light weight and simplicity was an intrinsic part.
Bolting a bog ugly water cooled lump with the plumbing associated with it might have satisfied a part of the market wanting BHP but it was at the expense of its looks.
These bikes are great but in my opinion they don't look like an air cooled Monster.
I'm saying nothing!!!
Old 27-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Go with an S2R with the 1000DS motor, it's a peach and without four valve servicing cost and an ugly radiator.

With a bit of tweaking the 1000DS can make 100bhp and masses of torque

Ped
Old 27-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have an S4 and a m750 and I love them both used to have a M900 too S4 is much smoother and more powerful and i have a hankering for a similar bike in the UK but I wont sell the M750