UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » 1st MOT Failed!!!

Old 22-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
1st MOT Failed!!!

took my bike for its 1st MOT now its 3 yrs old

i was petrified that my arrow exhausts with "NOT FOR ROAD USE" stamped all over them would fail me immediately and couldnt be fagged to put the OEM ones on again so i asked my friendly Ducati mechanic to take it to their MOT place that are more used to ducatis

sure enough, they didnt bad an eyelid at my loud cans. in fact they even commented on how good they sounded, and reved it for a while twhich brought all the other staff out for a look see what the din was about.

but they failed my on my plate!!!

its the right regulation size but the space between the letters had been moved to make it read S2R .. instead of S2 R..

had to get a plate made up quick but they didnt even make me fit it to the bike wtf

and the added cheek , the actual MOT cert lists my plate as one long string of characters no spaces at all and lists the model of the bike as an M800!

cant believe they can overlook the cans but get pedantic about the plate.

guess i should count my blessings that they did not fail me on the cans too...

ho hum, live and learn at least its all done till next year. now roll on more dry weather
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
SazzaG

The problem is that you fail on the cans if they are loud "in the testers opinion". However, they've recently changed the rules on the plates so that it has to conform exactly to the rules.

My monster failed on that as well, but P&H just stuck a large plate on, retested it, and then told me that it had failed.

I had my off-roader tested last week, so had a large plate made up purely for MOTs. I think that's the way to go in the future!

I hope you didn't get charged for the retest!
Old 22-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not due for one until next year, but kept my old plate, mounting bracket and reflector for just such an incident. Just throw it on for the test then keep it safe the rest of the year.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
sheepshearer

stupid isn't it? we have to comply with EU regulations on all kinds of crap, yet French and German number plates have lettering that's way smaller than ours
Old 22-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Their's are made of metal as well so you can bend and shape them!!!!

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Ducmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepshearer View Post
stupid isn't it? we have to comply with EU regulations on all kinds of crap, yet French and German number plates have lettering that's way smaller than ours
The latest number shields from Germany are bigger than the British ones. I had to bend mine up so that it does not rub on the rear tire when I carry a passenger.
Old 22-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
sheepshearer

> The latest number shields from Germany are bigger than the British ones. I had
> to bend mine up so that it does not rub on the rear tire when I carry a passenger.

where's the sense in that? it's all so that ANPR systems are happy - they aren't going to go away, but maybe they'll improve enough for number plate dimensions to come back down again. yeah, right.
Old 22-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
French bike plates are generally plastic not metal and although the numbers/letters are smaller the police are still as hot on enforcing/fining for "bending" the rules and they're having a real crack down at the moment (plates, exhausts, indicators, etc. etc.)

Me on the other hand with a tiny plate on my S4 and one that's nicely hidden on my Z get away without any probs or fines as both are UK registered and over here on "holiday" ...is 8 years still classified as a holiday

There's still no MOTs on bikes and won't be until 2012 at the earliest
Old 22-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepshearer View Post
> it's all so that ANPR systems are happy - they aren't going to go away, but maybe they'll improve enough for number plate dimensions to come back down again. yeah, right.
And the ANPR's are spreading real fast... Now almost everyone will know where you've been.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ou/8064333.stm
Old 18-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Diego

the same place (i suspect) just failed my MOT for plate size and my fully floating discs.

he marked the floating discs as excessively worn.....sure there pros and contras but my discs are not freakin worn. my plea fell on deaf ears.

not happy at all.

Last edited by Diego; 18-07-2009 at 11:38 PM..