UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » 2ND Service

Old 25-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
forresterone

2ND Service

Getting the 696 serviced on wednesday, 2nd service(12 months since the last serv), only done 2700 miles, what will the service cost me ?
Old 25-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
MrsJel

Mine cost about £400 - but I was told that because I'd done 7500 miles, it had to have everything done. Not so sure about that - will definitely query next time, because I'm heading for 11000 a year at the moment, and £400 every 7-8 months is just plain stupid.

Hopefully yours will be less than that.

Carole
Old 26-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Lucati

Had my 696 done at Pro Twins last week, 3500 mile 2nd service with a set of new brake pads came to £250. (the pads were £25 and labour about the same so i'm guessing £200 ish without extras)
Old 26-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresterone View Post
Getting the 696 serviced on wednesday, 2nd service(12 months since the last serv), only done 2700 miles, what will the service cost me ?
Nothing? - cos you got it as an 'incentive/extra/freebie' when you brought the bike?
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Whoo Hoo Someone who actually seems to do what is considered the typical average mileage.
Shame on you Jeff, go get some serious miles in LOL
Old 26-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
walpole68

cost me £9000 but came out a new bike,oh yeah it was a new bike Sorry Jeff not helpfull at all,but these dealers are dangerous places !
Old 26-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
JMo

It's really down to whatever the labour rate is at the dealer you take it to?

To be honest, if you've only done 2700 miles on the bike I wouldn't bother getting it serviced until the end of the summer anyway (I'm presuming based on the miles you're not one for riding through winter anyway?) - neither the belts nor the oil really need changing yet, so I'm not sure what exactly they would be doing for your money anyway?

xxx
Old 26-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
walpole68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
It's really down to whatever the labour rate is at the dealer you take it to?

To be honest, if you've only done 2700 miles on the bike I wouldn't bother getting it serviced until the end of the summer anyway (I'm presuming based on the miles you're not one for riding through winter anyway?) - neither the belts nor the oil really need changing yet, so I'm not sure what exactly they would be doing for your money anyway?

xxx
Servicing is every 12 months or 7500 miles max,or good bye warranty !
Old 26-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
Servicing is every 12 months or 7500 miles max,or good bye warranty !
Yes, I'm sure that is what they scare you with... however, I can't see how a couple of months or thousand miles is going to make any difference?

I'd done over 8000 miles by the time I got one of my 6000 mile services done - didn't make a difference to the warranty at all...

What if the bike had not been used for a year? - now two years (regarding the belt change) might be a different matter, but otherwise time does not affect any element of the bike?

It is bullsh!t to make you spend money unnecessarily that's all...

xxx

ps. I've never heard of anyone who was refused a warranty claim because their service schedule was not adhered to to the letter?

Last edited by JMo; 26-05-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Old 26-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
walpole68

bit of a risk to take over £200,if a engine goes bang and service over due they dont have to do a thing,how stupid would you feel then.
Old 26-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
JMo

Oh I'd tend to agree if it was only £200... but Mrs Jel paid double that?

My point was simply they are bloody solid engines anyway, and I'm sure you can afford to go a few extra miles (or months) on one...

I couldn't tell from the initial post if forresterone was balking at the potential cost or not? I guess if they've already booked the service anyway then it's academic and they're going to have to suck it up whatever the price is anyway...

xxx
Old 28-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
walpole68

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresterone View Post
What was the damage Jeff ? What work was carried out on your bike ? Did you take out any thing for a demo while you were waiting ?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
forresterone

Got it done today...4th July Harley davidson open day at riders, glad i got there early, cost me £180, for what was an oil change, aslo had the TPS and all perimeters checked and reset, as i thought it wasnt running as smooth as it could, sounds slightly different, and seems to go alot better to now,(physicological maybe)... did enquire about a p/ex on a 1100 ...most resist....didnt test any demo's as some guy there seemed to be riding the whole fleet.....he was proper pleased with the hyper, it did sound good with the termi's, plus those harley riders had pretty well grid locked the carpark,no room to swing a fat pig....