UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Reasons not to choose an old monster over new

Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
Wrider

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It looks like a fairly clean example. I notice that its been butchered at the back end so i would be looking at how well or not that has been done. For me it would probably be a no no but if its been done well it might be ok and will look better with the cans shortened to match. It depends how much you prefer originality and these are becoming classic bikes now too.
I did it on my 620 😮
Wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
Flip

Bike: M900
Well like a few here it seems I too am in the category of having owned both a carbie 900 and an S4 so here's my few pence worth.

I bought my 1997 900 around Christmas 1999 off a friend who bought it new, the few years previous I had been through a few of the Japanese sports middleweights (FZR600/YZF600R Thundercat/CBR400RR etc.) and was currently riding a GSX-R750WT SRAD which was awesome in every respect- the roads were somewhat quieter (and better surfaced) back then and we were all about wheelies and three figure lunacy.

But I had loved the look of the Monster from the moment I saw one in the press but obviously back then they were ridiculously expensive and on paper at least, way down on power compared to Jap fours plus the fact no one wanted an un-faired street bike unless it was a street-fightered GSX-R and you had a story to tell how you'd crashed it, ripped off the plastics and since fitted straight 'bars for better wheelies.

Anyway, I digress, cash changed hands, my friend moved abroad and I was now in procession of a two year old almost 1000 miles on the clock Monster and it was crazy fun like my first bike all over again. Mad- torque everywhere my GSX-R didn't and a ride so lively yet so 'old feeling' it never failed to make me smile.

Fast forward to around 2005 and I saw an S4 for sale- faster, more refined, modern even in comparison to the 900. What's not to like I thought so I bought it with the intention of riding them back to back, deciding which I liked most and likely putting the 900 up for sale in favour of the S4.

Well that didn't really go to plan. Yes the S4 was quicker (despite not quite delivering the promise of the 916 engine as it used the detuned ST4 motor), handled better (until I got the 900's suspension sorted properly), plus I didn't like the look of the 'plumbing' on the S4 and I found the ST4 handlebars uncomfortable (the fat bar'd S*R's were not out yet so there was no easy top yoke and bar swap available) but I did (do) like the five spoke Marchesini wheels and the spattering of carbon fibre as standard.

Added to this, the 'old feeling' 900 with all it's quirky character had somehow got under my skin by this time so it was the S4 that I waved bye bye to and a tad under twenty years later the 900 is still the bike that makes me grin and has just got better over the years.

It's never suffered with carb icing like some say theirs have and aside from the usual wear and tear of a twenty two year old bike it's never really caused me much trouble. As I have said in another thread, all the earlier bikes whether they be carb'd or injected, air or water cooled are getting on a bit in years now and with that comes the usual wear and tear of things like suspension and bearings etc. or (probably more so with the 4v motors) the creeping neglect of multiple owners and the odd missed service which we all know Ducati's don't take kindly to and they're probably not the best 'hop on and go' kind of bike compared to their more modern relatives.

Obviously, all those things are correctable if you have the time/money/inclination and at the end of it you'd have a very nice motorcycle I'm sure, and that's it really- as Nick said, it's really down to the bike that will make you smile on those rainy days when you pop out to the garage for a sneaky cuppa just to look at it sitting there as much as when you're riding down your favourite bit of road when the sun is out and all is right with the World.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #18
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea the standard S4 bars are pretty horrible and ugly too. S4R much better looking and easy to swap them or fit clip ons.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
jerry
Old Git

My very much modified S4 has done over 30,000 miles around south east asia ,, in very challenging conditions ,,Its not perfect and as standard it handled and ran crap,and i began to hate it , but with all the mods i have done to engine and suspension its now awesome ,, only real hassles are regulators burning out in the heat ,,now i have a mosfet relocated to front of bike ,

mods are 996 forks with K tech internals and 8.5nm springs ,,, yoshimura yokes and renthal fat bars
....ohlins prcs 46 rear shock ...mofified rockers and cams , modified airbox, k&n filters ,PC3 and custom maps,,termis low level,,,now bike has 112hp ,, and many other cosmetic mods ,,,upgraded LED rear light upgraded headlights , 42 rear sprocket ,,

I love my M750 more but i doubt i will ever sell the S4
Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #20
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
S4, probably the worst Monster ever. I had one and found it disappointing. Finally sold it and got the S2R1000, 12 years on we're still together. Newer ones like the 796 do very little for me as the styling is not for me, the headlights, really? That said I think Jan put a round light on his and that one simple change makes them look OK. You say S4's are 3.5k to 4k, buy a 796 then if that's your desire.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #21
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
No need to spend £4k, this is £2.5k and open to offers......

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ducati-mot...16-/1345516488
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #22
Wrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
No need to spend £4k, this is £2.5k and open to offers......

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ducati-mot...16-/1345516488
Thanks but it’s 160 miles away from me 😬
Old 11-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #23
slob

worth travelling if you find the right bike, you’ll be blue in the face if you hold your breath and wait for something to pop up 50 miles from home
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #24
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Find one close to home for a test ride and then look further afield for the right bike.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #25
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
I drove 147 miles each way to see, and ultimately buy without even riding, my evo (it was persistently chucking it down and the garage was unsurprisingly unwilling to let me cover a pristine naked bike in filth).

I also gave them a holding deposit before I even set off from home. If it's the right bike you don't want to miss it!
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #26
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
Thanks but it’s 160 miles away from me 😬
Surely that makes it a nice ride home from picking it up then?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Not that far away

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #28
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

This one looks good price for the spec. Is that an ally DP tank? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254282257835

Old 13-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #29
Wrider

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...rce=ios_social
Old 13-07-2019, 03:25 AM   #30
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford View Post
S4, probably the worst Monster ever. I had one and found it disappointing. Finally sold it and got the S2R1000, 12 years on we're still together. Newer ones like the 796 do very little for me as the styling is not for me, the headlights, really? That said I think Jan put a round light on his and that one simple change makes them look OK. You say S4's are 3.5k to 4k, buy a 796 then if that's your desire.
thats how i felt and it took several years and £6000 to get it right