UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Reasons not to choose an old monster over new

Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Wrider

Bike: S4r
Reasons not to choose an old monster over new

Hi, so I’ve narrowed down what I want to either an S4 or a 796.
There are quite a lot of low mileage standard S4’s around for about 3.5 to 4K. (Will need to source hi level termis) Back when I had my 600 and 620 I always wanted an S4, but for not much more money you can get one of the newer monsters. Though in my opinion they are not as good looking as the older monsters they are still beautiful bike.

So is there any reasons why newer would be better? I know I won’t be disappointed with which ever I choose.
Wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
lower mileage isn’t necessarily good, bikes that are used and serviced regularly are what i’d be looking for. bikes that have spent long periods not being used can be potential money pits (up to the point where you’ve rectified any defects)

also bear in mind a 796 will be more like the 600/620 you used to have, albeit with quite a bit more grunt and a much nimbler chassis.
s4(r) will handle more like the 620 but is an insane revvy missile compared to a small aircooled 2 valver
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
I have had both, imho
They start easier on the battery
Servicing is cheaper
Lighter more economy To the tankful

But

S4 is more original with bags of power in reserve
Dry clutch rattle
Heavier
Look the dogs danglys
Old 09-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I would always say the 1100 is the best all rounder. Just dont like enough 821 and bigger to want one.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 AM   #5
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
1100s But I'm biased and a little Englander.

Last edited by Mossleymonster; 10-07-2019 at 01:58 AM..
Mossleymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

I have both S4 and M900 carbie and whilst the S4 is undoubtedly faster it is nowhere near as engaging a bike to ride, it feels sanitised (almost Japanese), it is heavier and it is not as flickable, also a right PITA if you have to do any work on it, pipes and wires everywhere. Maybe I was unlucky but my first S4 twice had a problem with oil leaking from the vertical cylinder base "gasket" and the front cylinder stick coil failed twice in 20k miles. Do not get me wrong I like the S4 but I love the M900.
I also have a 750SS which is also a very engaging bike on which I have done 4 trips to Italy and about 30k miles with the only unreliability a blown oil pressure switch so do not discount the 750 Monster
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Only had the 1100 Evo, fantastic bike.....even better when fettled a little.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
I've had my S4 for 5 years now and once you've sorted the starting/charging issues it's been a fantastic bike. They are also ludicrously cheap at the moment, there was a senna grey on ebay, with high level termis, that went for less than £2k last week.

I had a 796 courtesy bike recently, the power delivery was woeful, I actually thought it was restricted in some way (it wasn't). It also felt really small compared to the S4, so I guess it depends on what bike you feel more comfortable on.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I think there may have been a recall for the rear base cylinder gasket leak on the S4. I read somewhere it was a common issue for early bikes. The rear coil stick on mine failed/intermittently misfire and cost £125 from Ducati but I have since found that there are cheaper alternatives from some UJM's (They're a Japanese sourced Denso part afterall). I agree about the wires and pipes everything is a bit tight when they tried to squeeze a 916 engine into a monster frame. I disagree about the ride being sanitised though I think it's everybit as engaging and very similar to a 916 (in fact it is slightly more powerful (torque and power) than a standard 916. And I have owned a ridden 750SS/900SS/M900/900SSie/748/916 and carb icing is a pain, injection much better suited for these engines.

Maybe more can go wrong with injection but they seem pretty robust. One fault that affects most inj or carb from that era is charging/reg-rec issues and alternator coming off). The earlier the bike the more likely to be a potential problem. Later 3 phase bikes are better but can still have alternator come loose.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
newer or older isn't the real point, it's what gives you that warm glow.
IMHO the older series bikes have an edge in styling. Best to try a few and decide from there.

Oh saw an S4 hacking through the traffic of Naples yesterday, didn't seem to have any problems though everyone on the roads is bat **** insane !?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
Nasher

When I read 'old' I thought you meant 'old' not 'slightly older'.

Old means carbie to me, which is what I'd choose by the way, but I don't do a lot of miles and I enjoy the whole workshop thing as much as riding them.

Nasher.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Martin Duke

Choices, choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
Hi, so I’ve narrowed down what I want to either an S4 or a 796.
There are quite a lot of low mileage standard S4’s around for about 3.5 to 4K. (Will need to source hi level termis) Back when I had my 600 and 620 I always wanted an S4, but for not much more money you can get one of the newer monsters. Though in my opinion they are not as good looking as the older monsters they are still beautiful bike.

So is there any reasons why newer would be better? I know I won’t be disappointed with which ever I choose.
Try and get a test ride on each of your potential new bikes and see how you feel about them.

I have no experience of carbed Monsters, but am warming to the idea of an early M900 - carbs will be a new thing to learn about.

I'm not keen on the looks of any of the "new" Monsters (821 onwards) but am sure the 1200R would be great fun. I have an S2R 800 and an S4RS and I wouldn't part with either - they are my favourites in the looks department with the single sided swing arm and twin stacked exhausts. The 800 is easy peasy to work on and fun to ride, the S4RS is considerably quicker and makes a wonderful noise. I much prefer the wet clutch of the 800 and with slightly lowered gearing it is a sweetie to ride in traffic as well as being economical and cheap to service. The S4RS costs more to run in every respect, is not brilliant in traffic but goes like the clappers.

Have fun making your choice!

Martin

Last edited by Martin Duke; 10-07-2019 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Wrider

Bike: S4r
Thanks for the response guys. Have a test ride on this beauty Saturday .
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01904167033829
Wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It looks like a fairly clean example. I notice that its been butchered at the back end so i would be looking at how well or not that has been done. For me it would probably be a no no but if its been done well it might be ok and will look better with the cans shortened to match. It depends how much you prefer originality and these are becoming classic bikes now too.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

There's a nice looking blue n white mostly original S4r in Hull for 4k and a nice black S4 but its at Westcoast stolen motorcycles and higher mileage but does look very clean. Its been for sale for ages. Anyone lost one?