UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Starting Gremlins!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
tweedy

Starting Gremlins!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with some recent bike starting issues I've been having ...

Ducati Monster 796 2010 model. Approx 5k on the clock.

______

About a week ago I had a little bit of an issue starting the bike. Ignition on - dash lit up, made all of the usual noises but then when I pressed the starter it didn't even want to crank / start. Made a small electronic noise and nothing else.

I turned the bike off and waited a minute, then tried again .... again, nothing there.

I flicked the indictors on and off, headlights, kill switch etc ... but when I pressed the horn the bike reset and then started after I re-pressed the starter. STRANGE! but didn't think anything else of it ... off I went on a ride in the sun.

I then went to go out Wednesday just gone ... the bike started first time and it was left to idle on the side stand for a minute or two whilst I locked the house up. As soon as I got on the bike it cut out and the red oil light lit up. At first, I thought it could have had something to do with it being on the side stand. The oil is toward the upper line on the sight glass and the bike hasn't even done 1000 miles since its last service.

I popped it onto the paddock stand and started it again after a few minutes. it starts to run then cuts out ... again, with the oil light. After it cuts out, it won't start again.

My initial thought before the oil light kept coming on was maybe it was the battery? The bike doesn't get used daily and I'm not sure if its ever been replaced over the last 9 years.

I will be getting access to the battery over the weekend to check the Voltage / get some details from it incase I need to order another. But I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what they think it might be before I do buy another battery!?!

Thanks in advance!

Tweedy.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Tim88

Bike: M1100evo
This may not help with your problem I'm afraid because the symptoms are not quite the same. Monster starting/re-starting problems are quite common however and it might be good to gather them all together somehow? Maybe as a thread?. I have had a couple, and one which is a little like yours occurs when I am coming back from a run and just creeping along the pavement to my house in first, I flick it into neutral while holding in the clutch, then pop down the centre stand release the clutch ...and the bike dies and will not restart. Seems to be that sometimes the neutral switch does not fully activate and the bike thinks it is in gear and hence cuts out when the clutch is released with side stand down. A lot of problems i think are related to these three switches; side stand, neutral swithch and clutch switch.
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Two 796s with starting problems in one day? Must be something in the water! (See jonzi's thread.)

You say the the oil light comes on - did it do this before it cut out or only after the engine stopped? If it illuminated while running then it needs investigating but if it only comes on after the motor's stopped, there's no problem - that's what it's meant to do.

As for the battery, have you checked the voltage on the dash (pushing the mode rocker switch forward once should display the voltage on the dash (at least it does on the Evo).

Nine years is certainly old for a battery so it could well need replacing. Have you seen any error messages on the dash e.g. 0008 r.SW and/or 0005 r.SW?

It's always a good idea to check both battery terminals are tight and clean plus the main earth connector and the line to the starter solenoid. Also check that the injector relay is pushed fully home. Mine worked its way loose and caused similar symptoms to yours.

Good luck!

The injector relay is number 15 on this diagram:

And lives on the battery box (number 6 on this diagram.

Last edited by Luddite; 05-07-2019 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Diagrams added
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
tweedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Two 796s with starting problems in one day? Must be something in the water! (See jonzi's thread.)

You say the the oil light comes on - did it do this before it cut out or only after the engine stopped? If it illuminated while running then it needs investigating but if it only comes on after the motor's stopped, there's no problem - that's what it's meant to do.

As for the battery, have you checked the voltage on the dash (pushing the mode rocker switch forward once should display the voltage on the dash (at least it does on the Evo).

Nine years is certainly old for a battery so it could well need replacing. Have you seen any error messages on the dash e.g. 0008 r.SW and/or 0005 r.SW?

It's always a good idea to check both battery terminals are tight and clean plus the main earth connector and the line to the starter solenoid. Also check that the injector relay is pushed fully home. Mine worked its way loose and caused similar symptoms to yours.

Good luck!

The injector relay is number 15 on this diagram:

And lives on the battery box (number 6 on this diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim88 View Post
This may not help with your problem I'm afraid because the symptoms are not quite the same. Monster starting/re-starting problems are quite common however and it might be good to gather them all together somehow? Maybe as a thread?. I have had a couple, and one which is a little like yours occurs when I am coming back from a run and just creeping along the pavement to my house in first, I flick it into neutral while holding in the clutch, then pop down the centre stand release the clutch ...and the bike dies and will not restart. Seems to be that sometimes the neutral switch does not fully activate and the bike thinks it is in gear and hence cuts out when the clutch is released with side stand down. A lot of problems i think are related to these three switches; side stand, neutral swithch and clutch switch.

Thanks for your replies!

Pretty new to the monster (got it October 2018) so still working out bits and bobs on the bike.

Im pretty sure the oil light just came on after the bike cut out. If it did, it sounds re-assuring that its supposed to do that.

I have had the bike apart this evening. Battery out, multimeter on it and it's reading 12.7. It is a Yuasa yt12b-bs ... seems cheap enough to pick up another anyway, but I've got the other one on charge for now to see if it makes any difference.

Ive had a good look at the terminals around about and all are fully home. The terminals on the battery were clean and tight too. What seems strange to me is that the bike is cutting out after a short while of idling, then will not restart. Its what's making me think more down the lines of sensors ....

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Im supprised google / youtube / the forums haven't flashed up with more info tbh. Might call into my local Ducati dealership tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks a lot!
Old 17-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
Mark9

Have a look at the 12v feed connector to the solenoid, the small wires that go to the solenoid, check that the connectors are clean and not loose.
Old 17-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think Jonzi's issue was TPS setting. He did a reset and I believe its all ok now.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Wasta

Bike: M900
Have you checked the airbox for a blockage of any kind, mouse nest etc. It could be getting choked.
I had a similar problem years ago and a rag I kept under the seat had blocked the air intake.
Old 17-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
have you opened the filler cap after the bike cuts out? if it opens with a ‘hiss’ you may have a blocked breather, which would make sense if the fuel pump is effectively working against a vacuum.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote