UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Are some bulbs more equal than others?

Old 28-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Mark9

Are some bulbs more equal than others?

I’ve just fitted some small rear indicators to my M900, now the indicators front & rear are flashing more quickly, (as though I had fitted LED’s without resistors), the indicators are cheap Chinese ones that usually earth to the frame, I fitted identical ones on my Scrambler and added a negative terminal inside the indicator bodies, they work fine, on the Monster I have taken the original plastic mounting bracket off and added a steel bracket, I’ve then connected the negative indicator wires from the loom to a single bolt on the bracket and fitted the indicators to the same bracket (with the live wires from the loom connected to the bulbs), I’ve made sure there is metal to metal contact between the bracket and indicator bodies, but I have this fast flashing issue, the front indicators are still standard.
Could it be the bulbs in the Chinese indicators are of a different resistance to the bulbs in the Ducati front indicators and it’s confusing the flasher unit?, or do I have a bad earth?, all ideas gratefully received, thanks Mark.
Old 28-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If the earth was the problem, I should think that the rear indicators wouldn't work at all.

I think my money would be on the wattage of the bulbs (aren't some of those micro-bulbs 5w rather than the 21w standard?). Can you remove one of the new ones and see if the wattage is shown?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
Mark9

I think you’re right, found a thread on the motorcycle forum and it was different wattage bulbs causing his problem , I’ll fit the small front indicators tomorrow so that all bulbs match (hopefully the flasher unit won’t mind the lower wattage if they are all the same?, electrics are my weak point as you can tell!), I’ve used up my energy quota for today, maybe just one more ride!
Old 28-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You'll most likely find that they still flash too fast or even faster. You might be able to find a more suitable flasher relay or fit ballast resistors.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Maybe something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Motor...AAAOSwbShbOfMV

Old 28-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
You'll most likely find that they still flash too fast or even faster. You might be able to find a more suitable flasher relay or fit ballast resistors.
Agreed. (Assuming the bulbs are low wattage ), it's not because the front and rear are different wattages that causes the problem, it's the fact the wattage is lower than the standard relay is designed for.

I think you have three options:

1. Change the bulbs to 21w (assuming that's OE on your bike)
2. Change the relay. There are adjustable ones available like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-Spe...id=1488328314& so you could tune the rate to whatever wattage you are running.
3. Fit resistors. (Not really worth considering as either of the first two options should be cheaper/easier)
Old 28-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
You beat me to it, Darren!
Old 28-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I can't speak from experience as I've not done the mod but it would make more sense to me to fit a more suitable relay like the one I mentioned than messy ballast resistors with more connectors and finding space to put them.

Old 28-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
If the bulbs in question are of a low wattage ie 5 or 10 watt then they will flash at a higher rate due to the lower resistive load they offer to the flasher unit.

Different flasher unit required - or fit standard flasher bulbs 21watt.
Think that's correct - long time since I was with 'Marconi'.
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Rizoma when fitted to my 1100 needed two resistors per indicator. Same indicators fitted to scrambler needed none. I believe the ECU figures it out.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If its an M900 (ie) then unlikely to have an ECU smart enough to figure anything other than running the enginel If its a carb bike then no ECU at all to worry about. Happy days.

Old 28-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
Luddite

I just noticed that the M900 uses a three-pin relay so those examples that Darren and I flagged up won't work as they're only two-pin. You'd need something like this instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Pin-Car-...r/143206430999

I'd still first check the wattage of the new bulbs and try higher wattage versions if appropriate.
Old 28-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
Mark9

Great, thanks for the replies, the adjustable unit looks like the way to go, I did look earlier for some small 21w bulbs on eBay but didn’t see any, apologies for the delayed response I’ve been wrestling the radiator out of my mini, don’t ever buy a mini!, Cheers.
Old 28-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #14
Darkness

Bike: M900
If the new lamps are only 5w, how bright are they?
LEDs at that wattage are great, provided the light goes where you want it, but tungsten lamps would be pretty dim and pointless.
Pedantry of the Day. We put bulbs in the flower borders!
Old 28-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #15
Mark9

To be honest they are quite good, I’ve got them on my Scrambler and they are more than bright enough in daylight, I agree 5w doesn’t sound enough but they can clearly be seen.