UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 1999 M900- questions re exhaust and also neutral switch

Old 17-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #16
marksmugglers

Thanks. That’s a lot more clearance than I have at present.
Old 17-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #17
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
As mentioned by Slob earlier, the silencer hangers may be bent, (the sort of triangular shaped ones).

You could take the hangers themselves off and see if the silencers move into a 'natural sit' position, if they do, it would give you a starting clue as to what may be out of line.

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #18
marksmugglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt1548 View Post
As mentioned by Slob earlier, the silencer hangers may be bent, (the sort of triangular shaped ones).

You could take the hangers themselves off and see if the silencers move into a 'natural sit' position, if they do, it would give you a starting clue as to what may be out of line.
Am definitely going to give that a go. Thanks
Old 17-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
marksmugglers

Ok quick update.

I took the brackets off the original silencers and offered them up. Still way too close into the swinging arm. It’s nothing to do with spacers, or brackets, but everything to do with the angle the silencers come out of the exhaust at.

It’s as if the exhaust pipe, after it comes underneath the engine, does not splay outwards as much as it should do.
The aftermarket silencers were fine but the orginals don’t fit.
Dumb question: do aftermarket silencers also come with a new exhaust pipe? Am wondering if the exhaust is non original and more suited to the aftermarket exhausts than the originals.
I guess I could buy a new exhaust pipe (if I can get one?) but it seems an expensive way to find out. Any suggestions?
Old 17-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

You might have an exhaust from an SS or even an ST? Or as you suggest an after market system of some sort.
It would help the knowledgeable folk on here no end if you could show us some pictures.

If it turns out to be something unusual, then a standard set of pipes is not too much second hand and they are easily polished up as they are Stainless.. You might even come out with a profit if you have something interesting on there.
Old 17-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Heres a bracket.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #22
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Heres how they should look.

And now with a tiny bit of cleaner and removed the brackets too before. and a little file of the burr on the scrape.

Old 17-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #23
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

complete exhaust system.

I do have this set of headers and manifolds spare.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #24
rbt1548

There are exhaust numbers visible on Ducati pipes, the front pipe has the numbers stamped on just below the sump and the rear about 3" from the head, if you check there and find the numbers you can check you have the right pipes as Mr Gazza suggested.

Mine is a 2000 M900Sie and the numbers are ;

Front 570.1.0201A
Rear 571.1.018.2A

On checking parts books numbers they are the same as a 1999, it is the front one that , probably!!!!!, would matter as it has both outlets for the silencers.

Just noticed Albie posted pics, the numbers are clearly visible on his second and last pictures.

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie

Last edited by rbt1548; 17-06-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Old 17-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #25
marksmugglers

Have taken some photos but am struggling to upload them. Will have a go from a pc tomorrow.
My standard silencers are exactly the same as your photos - including the brackets.
My exhaust is a) very rusty and b) I’m fairly sure the ends that connect to the silencers come out at a shallower angle to the one shown and I think that’s my problem. Albie I may be very interested in your exhaust!
But will upload the photos tomorrow as I’d really value your opinion.
Thanks again for all the input.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmugglers View Post
Have taken some photos but am struggling to upload them. Will have a go from a pc tomorrow.
Try using a photo hosting site like www.postimages.org/signup.

Once you've uploaded your picture, click on the 'share' icon and select the 'hotlink for forums' address, copy it and paste it into your post.

If you preview the post before submitting it, the picture will appear in the preview if you've done it correctly.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #27
marksmugglers

Here is the aftermarket that Was on bike

Here is the standard exhaust that came with the bike that I’m trying to fit

The angle on standard is sharper than the aftermarket

Meaning clearance is too tight

Here is the exhaust pipe. It’s as if the angles the silencers come out at aren’t sharp enough.

I am fairly sure it’s the right silencers

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Old 18-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
rbt1548

Looking at the picture of the two silencers it does seem that the unpainted one's inlet end is at a different angle than the black one, but at that angle you would think it should, if anything, push it out from the swinging arm further.

What you could try is, loosening the whole system, attaching the silencers then tightening it all up piece by piece, for example, nip up on one bolt/nut, then the next and so on, going back to the first nipping it again going round the system until all are tight, it may realign the system and allow you the space you need.

Good luck

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 18-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #29
marksmugglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt1548 View Post
Looking at the picture of the two silencers it does seem that the unpainted one's inlet end is at a different angle than the black one, but at that angle you would think it should, if anything, push it out from the swinging arm further.

What you could try is, loosening the whole system, attaching the silencers then tightening it all up piece by piece, for example, nip up on one bolt/nut, then the next and so on, going back to the first nipping it again going round the system until all are tight, it may realign the system and allow you the space you need.

Good luck
Yes I know what you mean. But the issue is the angle at which the silencers come out of the exhaust pipe, which is fixed. Because it’s too shallow (in my opinion), the sharp angle ont he standard silencers means they start pointing back in towards the swinging arm, if that makes sense. If the exhaust came out at a sharper angle, away from the centre line, everything would be fine.

I thought this would be a simple job but it’s proving a bit more painful than that!
Thanks for all the input
Old 18-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #30
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Hi Mark I have read your pm regarding sale. Lets not get to ahead you spending money if not at all necessary. I wont be selling firstly the 2 exhausts in the pictures as they are a good set of chamfered spares if ever I need as mine runs unchamfered which are rocking horse poo. I do have another spare good condition left hand one. I did also have a right hand one but I cut ends off considering adapting sleeve for unchamfered copy as couldn't find one at time. The headers or system is certainly available but it does have minor damage on bottom through kerbing in its history but I replaced it for better.
That and the other system was disgusting condition like yours but cleaned up with wire brush and scotchbrite pads to the finish shown in an afternoon.
Looking at your pics it looks to me like with the stock system its not yet against the mounting hanger so there is possible clearance. Having new bush rubbers also help and these are not expensive from Moto Rapido ( ask for UKMOC 10% discount )
Check also your footrest hangers too for wear on them rubbers. They also have backing washers around a 1mm thick. If they are missing it can close hangers inwards. You could also add washers another 1mm if your bolt lengths are stock.
That mounting plate may be deformed too. It has a curve in it to cup the exhaust but is a specific shape to mount solid and has flex on the hanger mount.
My last concern is to question whether or not that black replaced exhaust was fitted after a mishap accident and may have hit the deck causing the header system to bend in on that side. The system is stainless steel although low grade hence the bad colour but it could easily be bent out a smidge with some tube but I would not a standard exhaust. I would find pipe the inside diameter and just tweak it out.
Measure the outlets at rear inside to inside and I can measure my system across to compare.

Last edited by Albie; 18-06-2019 at 07:59 PM..