UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4R Won't Start - Getting me Down - Part 2

Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #16
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloguy628 View Post
The injectors may be clogged. You say the bike was parked for years so even if the injectors are not completely clogged it's a good idea to get them cleaned and flow matched.
When my Mini wasn't running right, several people said it was probably clogged injectors and suggested getting them cleaned in an ultra sonic jewellery cleaner - they're about £25 to buy so it seemed like a good idea.

I didn't get round to trying it myself so can't say if it works as the Mini ate its gearbox a week later...
Old 03-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #17
Dilkris

Input from rman - what is a CPS....???

Input from blah blah - I pis*ed myself laughing reading the mini story - (I hope it was written in humor and that am not offending you.) For sure, you can pick up ultrasonic cleaners (for small items) on the net for sensible money. Thing is - how often do I want to clean something that warrants this? What did we do back in the day without them....?
Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #18
rman

Sorry, Crank Position Sensor
Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #19
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilkris
...What did we do back in the day without them....?
used carburetors rather than injectors

or soaked bits in a jam jar of redex (not recommending this)
look for commercial cleaning service that tests injectors

another basic test: remove injectors put 12v across connector and you should feel/hear the relays clicking in the injectors

with similar age 2v motors (1000ie)
1. lift tank (less than 1/2 full so hinge not overloaded)
2. remove airbox lid & filter
3. hold throttle open and shine torch into intake
4. turn on ignition, as pump priming you should see spray below butterfles
5. repeat for other throttle body

these are indicators of problems not any kind of testimg of measured delivery

Last edited by slob; 03-06-2019 at 08:58 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #20
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
used carburetors rather than injectors, or soaked them in a jam jar of redex
And checked the points gap with a bit of rizla or the thin pack they came in.
Simpler times for sure but just as much of a pain as electronics can be, and of course the mechanics are just a bit better, no bevel drives with a range of custom spacers and those skanky pressed tin can cased switch blocks that make the Chinese switches look like NASA quality items!!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #21
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
JHP has a injector testing rig
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #22
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilkris View Post
Darren 69 - The ECU light as you describe it, is what the manual refers to as the EOBD Light correct? (It is the orange light immediately beneath the neutral and oil pressure warning lights in the instrument console)

Unfortunately it is not lighting up, other than when you turn on ignition, it then goes out after maybe 1-2 secs, suggesting there is no error.

Slob - sorry to hear you are in hospital and your kind offer of help if you were not, comments noted re: haloguy, if I was bright enough - and probably wealthy enough - his advice would I'm sure be invaluable.
Yes, that's correct. That it isn't lighting up suggests there is no issue with CANBUS but the ignition is not CANBUS so will not trigger an error if it is not working, so coil sticks and ignition signal could be the issue. I suspect a faulty connection break somewhere in the ignition feed as it was working after cleaning but somehow stopped now for no apparent reason.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #23
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Sorry, Crank Position Sensor
If CPS was faulty then I'm sure CANBUS would error and ECU light would be lit. Which is not the case in this instance.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #24
haloguy628

Don't give up bud. The S4R is a great bike and worth the effort.

My prior post may sound too complex and expensive but it's not. The IAWDiag software is free, the cables may end up costing you $30 - $40 and if you don't have laptop computer I'm sure you can borrow one. The S4R map is also free and it's very simple to flash the ECU.

Hook up the cables,
switch ignition on,
start the software and wait till it connects to the ECU,
select find the file on the laptop,
and then just press GO. It will do everything by itself.

There is also an Android software called TuneECU that you can pull the codes from the ECU with;

TuneECU

Here are cables for both IAWDiag (JPDiag is the same) and TuneECU Bluetooth from Lonelec in UK;

IAWDiag - JPDiag - GuzziDiag Cables

TuneECU Bluetooth Kit for Android Don't worry it's for all Ducatis not only Multistrada.

There are also links to the respective websites. So don't give up. Get motivated. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #25
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I use tuneecu on all my triumphs and its very simple bit of software to use.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #27
Dilkris

Some comments to the recent threads received - many thanks for your input and advice everybody.:-

Darrren 69 - well from everything you have highlighted it would appear that it is not a CPS that is at fault.

mjgt - tuneecu maybe an excellent piece of software but their web site advises that the software is for the 5AMHW610 ECU only and haloguy628 has previously advised that he believes my S4R will be running the 59M ECU - please don't be impressed by my apparent understanding of this is to be honest I haven't a clue which ECU the bike is running...! - see later.

slob - I like your idea of testing injector "activity" - I will give it a go and Mr Gazza suggested something similar in one of his threads.

haloguy628 - I have tried downloading the software - bit confusing that it says nothing about Ducati's and seems to focus on Motoguzzi - I get going with it and then come to the pop up window where I am supposed to specify which motorcycle, (see attachment if I have pressed the correct keys - I obviously didn't as no way could I find how to make the jpeg or even pdf version small enough....), I believe this is not to specify which motorcycle but which ECU - am I correct?? This being the case - can you please advise which ECU I have - please refer 2nd photo - (Same comment as above... I failed with this.)

haloguy628 - as an afterthought, can the ECU be sent away for testing, or can this only be done in situ on the bike??

Sorry Guys - I just could sort out how to make the file size of the 2 pictures small enough for the web forum to accept. Is there a "how to" link somewhere?

The ECU on the bike has S925P009 and 3X-18LA3E on the side - any use...???
Old 05-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #28
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilkris View Post
... can the ECU be sent away for testing, or can this only be done in situ on the bike??

Sorry Guys - I just could sort out how to make the file size of the 2 pictures small enough for the web forum to accept. Is there a "how to" link somewhere
Avanti Racing can remap and repair ECUs by post and list the S4, S4R, S4RS and S4RT models as being ones that they can deal with so have a look on their website and consider contacting them for advice.

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=19

As for attaching pictures, use a picture hosting site - I use PostImage www.postimages.org/signup.

Once you've uploaded your picture, click on the 'share' icon and select the 'hotlink for forums' address, copy it and paste it into your post.

If you preview the post before submitting it, the picture will appear in the preview if you've done it correctly.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #29
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You can test the CPS error by disconnecting it and switch on. You should get the light. Same goes for injectors, fans and either of the temp sensors.

There's a thread on here somewhere about the software and leads if you search JPDiag you should see it.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #30
slob

i was talking to avanti this morning, about something unrelated*, he in italy til after weekend but again. he’s your guy for marelli ecu

*sorry, needed to focus
slob is offline   Reply With Quote