UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 evo Lambda sensor post-Rexxer question

Old 04-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #16
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Great, thanks guys.

Did you have any issues removing the O2 sensors from the exhaust? Did you do it with the exhaust still on the bike?
The rear one is easy as access is pretty unrestricted but, if I remember correctly, there's not enough clearance to release the front lambda in situ so you'll need to remove the front section of the exhaust.

The lambdas are tightened to 45Nm, the exhaust collars are 11Nm and the flange nuts are 24Nm.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
Uncle Bob

And I bet you knew those torque settings from memory as well didn't you? ;-)

Typical that it wouldn't be as straight forward a job as I'd hoped. I haven't even looked at what's involved in taking the exhaust off, but knowing my luck you probably have to remove the tank, and, probably foolishly, I put the bike back together last night including all the bodywork!

I only have basic spanner skills, yes, really, but I'm learning! The electrical connector blanking plugs should arrive tomorrow, so I may be just putting those on and leaving the lambdas in situ for now and re-cable tieing the cables back out of the way. If I do that I guess blanks for the plugs on the actual sensors would be a good idea too.

Fingers crossed for tonight then. Re-fuel and TPS 'training', so time to annoy the neighbours by letting it idle for 20 minutes, or whatever it takes to get warm...

Thanks again for your help.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Luddite

My exhaust has been off and on so many times, those torque settings are etched on my mind now!

Don't worry too much about removing the exhaust - it's not a difficult job. You can probably get away without replacing the exhaust gaskets (although they're only a couple of quid so it's handy to keep a couple in the spares box along with the oil filter and drain plug washers).

Only a couple of things to note - you'll need something to unhook the retaining springs. A sturdy cable tie works or you could easily fashion a spring puller - I used a length of fencing wire, which does the job.

Also, when tightening the flange nuts, wind them on evenly before finally torqueing them down so that you keep the clamp parallel to the head.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
fastnfat

Yes, the O2 sensors come of with headers on the bike, well I managed it anyway. I’ve also removed the cable along with the servo motor and kept them for when I eventually sell up(not got any plans for that for the foreseeable though).
Just seen Slobs comment about lockwiring and I might just go for the overkill now meself 🤔
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #20
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnfat View Post
Yes, the O2 sensors come off with headers on the bike, well I managed it anyway.
That's good news - no reason why you shouldn't have everything tidied up by tonight then, Bob!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #21
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
That's good news - no reason why you shouldn't have everything tidied up by tonight then, Bob!
Unfortunately I ran out of time... I managed to get the rear facing O2 sensor out quite easily after the TPS reset warmed the exhaust up for about 15 minutes, so that's all plugged and tidy.

Sadly, the black connector on the front O2 sensor won't fit between the frame and the engine, so I can't really remove the sensor from the exhaust until I can get that out!? I'm hoping that if I remove the horizontal cylinder's timing belt cover it'll have enough room (I think the cover is in two pieces?). I can't see any other space that'll be big enough for it to slip through...
Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #22
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnfat View Post
Yes, the O2 sensors come of with headers on the bike, well I managed it anyway. I’ve also removed the cable along with the servo motor and kept them for when I eventually sell up(not got any plans for that for the foreseeable though).
Just seen Slobs comment about lockwiring and I might just go for the overkill now meself 🤔
Cool. I'll have another go as soon as I can. Re: my comment above about the black O2 sensor connector. Once disconnected from the loom, can you remember if you managed to find a route out of the frame for that without too much faffery?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #23
Luddite

Quote:
Re: my comment above about the black O2 sensor connector. Once disconnected from the loom, can you remember if you managed to find a route out of the frame for that without too much faffery?
Sorry, Bob, although I can't remember having any problems removing the wiring, to be honest, I can't actually remember how easy or difficult it was so don't put too much stock in that.

I probably did it while I had the tank off to refit the ECU so access and visibility would have been better.

Don't forget, it will probably run a little erratically at low speed for a couple of hundred miles until the self adaptive parameters have relearned all the relevant settings so don't be surprised if the tickover hangs around 2k before settling down again.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #24
Uncle Bob

Thanks, yeah I'll try to bear that in mind!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #25
Uncle Bob

A little update: Today at lunchtime I managed to get the forward lambda sensor out (ordinary 22mm spanner) without taking off the front section of the exhaust. I managed to get the spanner onto the nut by going in underneath the bike, and there's plenty of room for the sensor to unscrew out of the exhaust pipe. Result.

Once the sensor was unscrewed from the exhaust there was enough wire available to find a route out of the frame for the connector plug, with a little trial and error. Phew!

Exhaust plugs in (M18 x 1.5 with a little copper crush washer and an internal hex head), plus blanking plugs for the loom end of the sensor wires (thanks for the info on that one Luddite sir). Rear sensor wire and connector is cable tied up out of the way of the exhaust to prevent meltage.

So that's my first bit of 'modding' done on the evo! It wasn't too scary (well, perhaps a little bit!). Now it's just a question of riding the thing...
Old 06-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
Luddite

Well done, Bob! Glad you didn't have to remove the exhaust after all.

Removing the lambdas, disabling the exhaust valve plus the richer Rexxer map will really sweeten the low speed running. Definitely money well spent. Let us know what you think once you've put a few more miles on the clock.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #27
Uncle Bob

1st ride update: It's excellent! Not entirely sure how many miles we did because some idiot forgot to check the odi before he left... Ahem. But, I reckon 60 odd.

1st impressions, it's not perfect, but it's WAY better. However, listening to the great advice I got on here I'm quite prepared to put more miles on it before any final judgement.

Low speed fuelling is a lot smoother though. No lurching/hunting at 30mph, SO much more user friendly! That's what I was really hoping for and that was the entire reason for doing this, so I'm a happy camper already.

Also, what I didn't really expect is the improvement to the mid-range torque! It absolutely pulls like a train! Honestly, if any Evo owners on here are riding a stock machine I seriously recommend that you consider these mods. £260 ish and a couple or three hours of fettling has really transformed this bike.

Thanks again for all the help that you guys (big shout to Luddite) have given me. Now it's a case of what to do next (apart from ride it, oh and the suspension definitely needs setting up).
Old 09-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #28
Luddite

Really pleased you're happy with this mod, Bob. I think this is the best value mod in terms of improving your enjoyment of the bike and Neil's service is excellent.

You're right about the suspension too - there are plenty of threads on here on that subject and I can personally recommend both K-tech and Maxton for fork work. Chris.p's posted some good information that you may find useful:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=51391
Old 10-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #29
Uncle Bob

Thanks for the reminder, and yes although I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, props to Neil at Cornerspeed for his excellent service and advice. Sadly Cornerspeed is a bit far for me to be a regular customer, but based on my experience this time I would say that those of you who are within reasonable distance are very, very fortunate!

http://cornerspeed.co.uk/

Yeah my homework reading starts again now, just with a different topic! To be honest I'm hoping to improve it just with a setup, at first anyway, because I don't really know what it's capable of (or not) in standard trim.

I know from reading on here that the stock kit isn't held in particularly high regard, but suspension setup\performance is SO subjective and there are so many variables in play...
Old 10-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #30
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Thanks for the reminder, and yes although I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, props to Neil at Cornerspeed for his excellent service and advice. Sadly Cornerspeed is a bit far for me to be a regular customer, but based on my experience this time I would say that those of you who are within reasonable distance are very, very fortunate!

http://cornerspeed.co.uk/

Yeah my homework reading starts again now, just with a different topic! To be honest I'm hoping to improve it just with a setup, at first anyway, because I don't really know what it's capable of (or not) in standard trim.

I know from reading on here that the stock kit isn't held in particularly high regard, but suspension setup\performance is SO subjective and there are so many variables in play...

Sadly the standard suspension is “Shocking” (no pun intended), even if you spend the money on new springs, re valving etc you will still not be happy and will have wasted a fair bit of cash for nothing, believe me when I say a decent shock and new fork internals are a must, I am 63, admittedly I used to be a club racer and a trackdayer so suspension is important in my mind, but I will reiterate, the standard Evo suspension is REAL bad.

Please read the thread I posted and that Luddite kindly put the link to on his post.

Check out the vid attached from a trackday i did, never adjusted the suspension from the settings I have for the road, Willbers rear, K-Tech front internals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dftUO9UouPo

Last edited by chris.p; 10-06-2019 at 11:06 AM..
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote