UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Single side s/arm conversion?

Old 20-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Single side s/arm conversion?

Single side s/arm...

Does the S4RS and variants from 06/ 07 & 08 bolt on to a 900ie 02? Anybody know or have a suggestion where to find out?
Old 20-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Yes it certainly does.

s4 02/03 frame same as 900ie

My s4 I converted. Better with the footrests too but you may get away with stock but I never tried and ground them off and fabricated pillion mounts on the frame. Also shock is different and if you run the piggy back s4r one you need a clearance cut into frame as its mighty close.

Finished!

[/

Last edited by Albie; 20-05-2019 at 09:25 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Being controversial - why would you want to spend money to make your bike almost certainly heavier and more likely to lose adhesion on the rear wheel?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Being controversial - why would you want to spend money to make your bike almost certainly heavier and more likely to lose adhesion on the rear wheel?
Because you can and it looks better..?

Alternatively you could sell the 900 and buy an S2r - a quick google shows that an S2r is 173kg, a 900ie is 188kgs so the single sided one is lighter
Old 21-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
Nickj

S2R lacks the clutch rattle but on the up side does have a basic slipper clutch ..... but I guess a conversion out to a 748 clutch side casing wouldn't be out of the question but then it's starting to get a bit more involved.
Old 21-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Just because...

I certainly haven't decided to to do it, just musing over the possibilities.

Why would the bike be more likely to lose adhesion on the rear wheel?

My bike is a bit lighter than standard (i really should get it weighed) and has a few extra ponies too. I would never sell it for an S2R - 900 is the classic number and its all I need & more.
Old 21-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Why would the bike be more likely to lose adhesion on the rear wheel?
Increasing the unsprung weight with a heavier swingarm assembly would make it more difficult for the spring and damper to keep the wheel on the floor, but lighter wheels, brakes etc could more than compensate compared with standard: though lighter everything would be a better target for performance and handling.

Last edited by Darkness; 21-05-2019 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Spell wrecker.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Increasing the unsprung weight with a heavier swingarm assembly would make it more difficult for the spring and damper to keep the wheel on the floor, but lighter wheels, brakes etc could more than compensate compared with standard: though lighter everything would be a better target for performance and handling.
OK thanks for that - I follow the logic. Still in a real world scenario, how applicable is it really? Is the weight difference between single and OEM s/arms enough to make a noticable difference? Also how much traction do you lose 1%, 5% or more?

Is this not a case of yes there is less traction, because there is more weight, but in reality it is negligable?

I've ridden a few 916's and this didn't seem to be an issue... I'm an old git, riding an old bike, and its hard for me to think this is something to be concerned about - but happy to learn different.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 21-05-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
350TSS

I am also an old git, single sided swinging arms to me seem to be a solution looking for a problem. At the engine end the SSSA fits either side of the crankcase for good reason to provide rigidity at the pivot point, why abandon that rigidity at the wheel spindle end? I believe Honda first started using them on the RC30 to enable rapid wheel/tyre changes during endurance racing. Not something the ordinary road rider needs to worry about too much.
The 916 series bikes made SSSA “fashionable”, for the 999 series Ducati saw sense reverting to double sided SA and made their most successful WSB bike ever, unfortunately it was not the hoped for rampant sales success.
For what is effectively a stub axle to be as rigid as a shaft supported at either end the axle has to go up in size from 25mm to something approaching 60mm with a) much more metal required to ensure the wheel is retained pointing fore and aft and perpendicular to the crankcase pivot, b) much larger heavier bearings, c) almost compulsory large eccentric chain adjuster, d) concomitant bigger wheel boss all of which is for the most part un-sprung mass so the damper has to work harder to keep the tyre in contact with the road.
Unfortunately I have never ridden a 916 series bike, my only experience of SSSA is from a Honda Bros 650 which I commuted on for about 3 years, probably 15000 miles. The rear suspension unit/ damper was standard and probably past its best when I got the bike but you could feel the weight of the SSSA assembly particularly on London’s potholed streets where you could feel the rear wheel struggling to follow the uneven surface. The Bros was a really nice package let down by unreliable electrics (brittle thin insulation cabling in the wiring loom around the headstock) and the rear wheel’s inability to deliver traction or braking inputs over corrugated surfaces.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Nickj

Lack of adhesion isn't something that I've noticed on either my S2R or my 748R and they're both SSSA's.
The 748 carries stupid corner speed and is stable with a ton of rider feedback. If you get the chance to try a 916 or 748 you really should take it. They are not the comfiest ride but that's made up by the way they ride. OK I'm biased but the 748R is probably the best handling bike I've ever ridden, you throw it at the road and it just says no problem. The reviews that say it's handling is sublime really aren't over rating it.
My S2R not quite the same as the rear shock is poor and pretty much EOL, jump between the two and you really notice the difference.

Given a good shock with half way decent set up and making sure the overall geometry isn't changed by more than a degree/cm or two then it's really unlikely the difference would be noticable in normal use.

And yes the single siders are about easier wheel removal, if you like them they also look quite cute.
Old 22-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

My S2r gets to the edges of the tyres with no drama when making progress so I'm not sure I need any more traction in the real world... okay, the suspension isn't standard now but it did the same on the stock suspension so what do I know