UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Regions :. » Area Rep List » Forest of Dean (Gloucester?)

Old 19-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Forest of Dean (Gloucester?)

Hi guys, I know I'm still pretty new to the site but I've not seen a rep in here for FoD/Gloucester area.

Now that I've finally got my bike working since buying it (just in time for the crappy weather ) I'll be looking to become a more active member of the community. In Nov/Dec I'll be moving to Blakeney, Gloucester and haven't spotted any names down as an area rep.

What do you need to be considered?

The last post I saw in the Gloucester forums were from back in 2014 so I would happily start trying to get some regular local meets together in the FoD area if there aren't any already, as that'll be my back garden once I've moved, and maybe even find a campsite to invade through the summer somewhere in the forest for a decent meet. But if there's nobody around in charge, and there's enough interest in the area through next summer, then I don't mind throwing my name in the hat next year as a FoD rep if that worked out well as a trial.

If there is already a rep in place, then apologies if I've overlooked it, but I'm more than happy to help out with anything and start joining in when I get over there.

Last edited by Macflurry; 19-10-2018 at 04:35 PM..
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Frome to Blakeney is err, on the positive side Blakeney has it's own variety of plum which makes very good jam!
LOL No FOD rep, it may well be a bit of a place all of it's own but not enough to warrant it's own rep. County wise it's not as active as over in the east, Kenties are very busy with stuff
You do want to pick your bank, lot of closures around the forest. I needed a bit more cash than the machines would let me have and faced a run over to Newport or back to Gloucester! Nat West isn't a good choice.
On the other hand you do have the 'road of death' on your door step and once you go exploring some really good roads to play on. Not many monsters around but I remember there was someone in Blakeney with a 748. Luckily the sheep menace is a rarity these days, but watch out for the boar... they are suicidal and a bit more solid than sheep, Oh and the deer who are equally road aware NOT.
I was over in Five Acres, well just got a few bits to shift and I'm out and established in Cheltenham so only half hour or so away.
Old 19-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Macflurry

Ha, excellent!! Thanks for the heads up. Kamikaze boars will be a new one for me!!

I guessed it could go either way as an area for members and may just be a quieter area that would adopt others travelling further for a ride out.
Old 19-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Nickj

A nice loop for you to try sometime ..

Head out of the forest towards Chepstow through St Braivels (B4228)
At Chepstow head for the race course and follow the road all the way up to Monmouth (A466) .. Time for a quick coffee and admire the fortified bridge.
Option 1 ... Then back up into the forest on the A4136
Option 2 ... Follow the A40 to Goodrich, right onto the B4229, pick up the B4234 back into the forest.

If you go option 2 hang a left in Lydbrook to scoot through Joys Green, no number back roads Dog and Muffler is an OK pub and middling eatery, out through Ruradean (Who killed the bear?) and then back to Blakeney through Ruspidge and Soudley.

Enough variety to keep you amused at bimbling speeds, and not too lethal if you want to move a bit .. well mostly
Old 19-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
95 members registered in Gloucester.
If you go to the "members" page and click on "search", then click on "advanced search" when the box pops down. You can then select a County to reveal the members therein.
You only need to select one parameter to initiate a search, but there are lots of options there.
Next step is to send a PM to all the members listed in your area with a meeting place and time and before you know it you have a thriving section, like the North-West.
Old 20-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Moco1961

Happy to help

......what Gary says....plus there are folk on the forum only too happy to advise encourage and assist, once you get the ball rolling it's very rewarding.

Good luck
Old 20-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Macflurry

Awesome, thanks guys.

I just went on the search and filtered it for Gloucester, with a post count of 1 or more and posted in the last year which brings the total down to 9.

So, I think I've found the core of people to start chatting to!! Once I get the move out of the way I'll start badgering people to come out and see how it goes from there. I'm looking forward to next year and actually getting out on the bike and meeting people from the site. Was supposed to be this year but it took me longer to fix than I had thought!!
Old 20-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
Zimbo

Bike: Multiple Monsters
There are a few monsters around, I'm in Stonehouse just the other side of Gloucester. I tend to join in with the Wilts / Hants lot occasionally, they're quite active.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macflurry View Post

I just went on the search and filtered it for Gloucester, with a post count of 1 or more and posted in the last year which brings the total down to 9.
That's not necessarily an indicator of who will be an active member in the real world. I meet a few people on a regular basis, that don't bother with the forum very much.
You would be surprised who will respond if they find out there's something actually going on.

...and what Moco says. There's lots of nice folk out there waiting to be friends..
Old 20-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Welcome to 'Cloud Coocoo' land!
Don't mean that - honest.

Yes, the forest will provede some beautiful rides and the Wye valley as a whole - Ledbury, Malvern and The Fosse Way are all in range. ( gone 'off' the Forest since I came off two years ago on the hill into Monmouth)

Good luck, hope to meet soon, Chris.
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswilly View Post
gone 'off' the Forest since I came off two years ago on the hill into Monmouth
That's one road to be aware of recent weather, there's a spring that soaks one bit of shady road and a few sections where there are some run offs from the fields & side roads that dump lots of gravel across the road.
It's also fun when there's snow about
Old 20-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macflurry View Post
Hi guys, I know I'm still pretty new to the site but I've not seen a rep in here for FoD/Gloucester area.

Now that I've finally got my bike working since buying it (just in time for the crappy weather ) I'll be looking to become a more active member of the community. In Nov/Dec I'll be moving to Blakeney, Gloucester and haven't spotted any names down as an area rep.

What do you need to be considered?

The last post I saw in the Gloucester forums were from back in 2014 so I would happily start trying to get some regular local meets together in the FoD area if there aren't any already, as that'll be my back garden once I've moved, and maybe even find a campsite to invade through the summer somewhere in the forest for a decent meet. But if there's nobody around in charge, and there's enough interest in the area through next summer, then I don't mind throwing my name in the hat next year as a FoD rep if that worked out well as a trial.

If there is already a rep in place, then apologies if I've overlooked it, but I'm more than happy to help out with anything and start joining in when I get over there.
You just won a job, welcome!

Ped
Old 20-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Nickj

That seems to be pretty unanimous.

Now all you need is the official rep hat

Old 20-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
Macflurry

Ha!! Definitely happy to take it on if I get to wear that!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: