UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » About to start a 750 refresh...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #16
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by davky
Maybe the photos and doing it (in)justice but it looks in really good condition for an early 750.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
davkyt

Thanks all have another crack at getting that off tomorrow.

As I go, I'm planning on cleaning parts up as I go... I've already ordered new bolts for everything I've took off because they're all shot.

Do the rubber grommet things come out and are they reusable? They are in surprisingly good condition and don't look like needing replacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
The seat lock cable has balls on the end, well cylinders really, one of them fits to the levers at the lock end and the other the lever that pulls the latch open.
With the adjuster screwed back they can be taken off.. assuming the adjuster will undo, lots of lube and good fitting spanners.

Remember the worst bits for corrosion as when you stick it all back together yo can lavish a bit more attention on them.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #18
davkyt

It's not too bad.... It could probably last another 10/15 years untreated and properly stored and maintained.... But that only takes me to the age of 55.....
There are a couple of rust spots on the frame that need attention before they get any worse.
The swing arm and rear shock need attention.
... And obviously the engine..... Which is far and away the worst part.
O and a few rubber type pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Maybe the photos and doing it (in)justice but it looks in really good condition for an early 750.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #19
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Yes just squeeze the grommets out. Cheap as chips to replace but don't use fracked ones. A bit of lube helps old ones in and don't lose the special spacer washers too. They too are available cheap. I think you may have left the lock nut off the under tray they bolt into a welded nut then sandwich the under tray with a nut. Don't forget the engine earth lead and nut on the right hand side footrest hanger before you cannot undo one bolt. Look at the Stein dinse parts to show you what bolts washers and nuts should and may be there. Footrest hanger rubbers available too not bolts as to why don't break them.
You may break the seat lock mount bolts as usually rusty. M4 bolts about 10mm long. Mine didn't surprisingly.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #20
davkyt

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I don't understand what you mean? Could you please elaborate further for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
. I think you may have left the lock nut off the under tray they bolt into a welded nut then sandwich the under tray with a nut. Don't forget the engine earth lead and nut on the right hand side footrest hanger before you cannot undo one bolt.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
davkyt

Another question... All of the bolts are discoloured... We're they originally silver or gold?
Old 03-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #22
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

They're zinc plated/passivated (light gold colour) but made of Italian cheese neither of which is very robust. Replace with good quality stainless, fit and forget.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #23
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by davkyt View Post
Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I don't understand what you mean? Could you please elaborate further for me?
The rear seat clip is bolted through the frame through nuts welded to frame and then the plastic mudguard is sandwiched onto that mount and a nut keeps that up.
Yep most of the bolts coloured zinc.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #24
davkyt

On closer inspection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Old 03-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #25
davkyt

Thanks.... I've had a closer look and now understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The rear seat clip is bolted through the frame through nuts welded to frame and then the plastic mudguard is sandwiched onto that mount and a nut keeps that up.
Yep most of the bolts coloured zinc.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #26
davkyt

I still can't see how to get this off without either cutting or bending something?

(the wire part)

Old 03-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
TimDW

Bike: S2r 1000
You need to bend it a bit open. But be gently
TimDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #28
davkyt

So today the seat latch, lock etc is all off. The the rear 4 sections on the exhausts are off. And the mudguard is almost off......
This bolt just spins... I've tried pulling it, turning it and a combination of both.
Any suggestions how to get it off?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #29
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Ducatis famous nutserts, they just like to spin. You may have to drill it out if a combination of pulling and twisting doesn't shift it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #30
davkyt

I knew it was on the cards... I'm surprised only one extent has knackered so far
It just spins tho... It's an Allen head so I can't drill and hold the bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Ducatis famous nutserts, they just like to spin. You may have to drill it out if a combination of pulling and twisting doesn't shift it.