UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 Evo mods - an addicts tale

Old 05-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #106
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
I'm also a user of the tinted screen thanks to Luddite...

Must be the bargain of century as far as ducati mods go...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #107
fastnfat

Bike: M1100evo
Mr Luddite, Just purchased a carbon thingy for the pillion cover and I see you also have one and was hoping you could tell me how you attached yours (silicon/ double sided tape etc.)

Thanks

Colin
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #108
Doggy

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnfat View Post
Mr Luddite, Just purchased a carbon thingy for the pillion cover and I see you also have one and was hoping you could tell me how you attached yours (silicon/ double sided tape etc.)

Thanks

Colin
That Luddite fella really is a bad influence on people on this forum . I myself have just parted with some cash on the carbon4us website that he mentioned previously .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #109
Luddite

Yes, sorry, Doggy and Colin, I am infected with the spending bug and am definitely still contagious. (There is no cure!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnfat View Post
...tell me how you attached yours (silicon/ double sided tape etc.)
For the tail piece, I've tried two ways of mounting it. My first attempt on the red seat cowl works but is overly complicated (I didn't trust the double-sided tape). I removed the rubber pad and drilled a hole through the cover. I then epoxied a countersunk M6 screw to the carbon cap, which enabled me to fasten the cap to the cowl with a nut and repair washer. You have to make sure that the end of the screw is smooth and doesn't protrude past the nut to avoid damaging the seat material. That method does allow you to easily remove the cap but that's really its only advantage over adhesive.

I was going to swap the cap over onto my new white cowl but decided to get a new one from Carbonworld (www.carbonworld.de), which I stuck onto the original rubber cap with the double-sided tape supplied and also black silicone adhesive between the strips of tape.

I clamped the cap down overnight while the silicone set to ensure that it sat flat against the cowl and it's fine. (I still wouldn't trust the tape on its own though.)

The silicone adhesive is good stuff and I've used it to attach the carbon air vents to the tank and also this ABS guide to the front mudguard.

Don't forget to post some pics of your machine, Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
I myself have just parted with some cash on the carbon4us website that he mentioned previously.
So what have you just bought, Doggy??
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #110
fastnfat

I think i’ll go the silicone route, i’ve Ordered some of that stuff you use so finger crossed��.
Thanks for the advice and i’ll Put some pics up soon when I've figured out how to post them :-)

Last edited by fastnfat; 24-04-2019 at 05:25 PM..
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #111
Luddite

The bug has bitten again!

If you look back to post #44, the question of the headlight frame was mentioned and it's been niggling away ever since! I've never really been convinced by the grey finish of the original as it didn't match either of the yokes and the finish doesn't appear anywhere else on the bike.

So, when Ryan (Rrawlings) bought my Desmoworld db eaters I decided to "reinvest" the proceeds in a black frame from the Diesel edition (82919673AC).

I'm really pleased with the result and the headlamp now looks more "finished" to me; the black now matches the bottom yoke and rear subframe so doesn't stand out anymore.

A bit extravagant for a small cosmetic tweak I'll admit but, when the itch strikes you've just gotta scratch it!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #112
Luddite

Spot the difference (again)...

Termignoni stickers removed and replaced by laser engraved versions courtesy of PMP Laser Technology in Havant https://www.pmplasertechnology.co.uk/ (More details here http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d=1#post566914 )

Also, while the exhaust was off, I was cleaning the rear caliper and noticed that the pads were getting low, so a quick call to Simon at WSC Performance https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/wscperformance and a set of Brembo 7BB2035 pads were on their way for £20 including postage.

I thought I'd bleed the brake while I was at it, (although it seemed fine), and I read recently that, to fully bleed the system, you should activate the Anti-lock system prior to bleeding. So I got the ABS pulsing before removing the caliper and flipping it and, sure enough, a couple of bubbles came out. So perhaps there's something in the ABS advice after all. Of course, a problem arises if you don't initially have enough pressure to trigger the ABS; you'd have to bleed it, reassemble everything, go for a ride to activate the ABS, then disassemble it all again to do the final bleed.
Old 23-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #113
Luddite

I can't believe I haven't done anything to the Evo for over a year! But as far as mods for the Evo go, I think I've reached the point where the law of diminishing returns is kicking in. The things that I can do, (or am prepared to do - no suggestions of carbon wheels please!), are few and far between now and the effects on the bike, minimal.

I do hope neither 350TSS nor buzzer post any updates of their mods today, as I'd be ashamed to call this a "mod" in their company! Let's refer to it as a "tweak" instead. It's cheap and quick, (£10 and 10 minutes), and it does slightly change the look and feel of the bars.

I'd noticed that one of my stock grips had a slight nick and, being a bit anal about such things, I planned to change it. But, rather than a straight replacement, I fancied something different so went for a set of Domino grips. While I like the pattern of their A250 Road Racing grips, they only come in two-tone with no plain black option. So I went for the Dakar grips, which have the same pattern as the original 1993 Monsters, (if that style's good enough for Albie, it's good enough for me!).

I got mine from Bike Torque Racing https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/b...4006-1.htm#eq1

Be aware that Ducati grips tend to be longer than many other marques, 128mm as against 120mm - 125mm for, say, Honda or Yamaha, so check the grip size before ordering.

No glue needed, just a judicious application of alcohol and job done. They feel a lot softer, thinner and grippier than stock. I've not ridden with them yet but like the way they look and feel in the garage.

Old 23-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #114
Ron1000

Almost the first thing I do to all my bikes, get the grips off and get nice aftermarket ones on. My grip of choice is the progrip 717 grip.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #115
Darkness

Bike: M900
Your handlebar grip of choice is the current Domino version of the original Tommaselli Monster grips @Luddite.
Old 23-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #116
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Your handlebar grip of choice is the current Domino version of the original Tommaselli Monster grips @Luddite.
No wonder it looks so at home!
Old 23-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #117
Doggy

Bike: M796
Nice tweek! . I was thinking about some different grips, how was the throttle side to replace? Was it a pain or awkward due to the throttle tube?
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #118
Ron1000

Doggy. Throttle side grip is slightly bigger ID so is no harder or easier than the clutch side.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #119
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Luddite: I do not think I should be mentioned in the same breath as Buzzer as he is a proper engineer and I am just a shed bodger. A fact proven by my originally mismatched hand-grips solved by buying some cricket bat handle rubber for £2 off e bay which was rolled on (like some other rubber products) and lock wired in place. Cutting the ends neatly was a challenge but it does have two advantages, first, the OD of the grip increases by about 5mm and second, the double thickness of rubber gives a very good insulation from any vibration.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #120
Luddite

Don't be so modest, Richard. If there was a Roll of Honour for this forum, I'd have a number of nominations including, but not limited to, (I can't list them all), you, buzzer, Kato, Albie... basically, anyone who inspires me.

Looking forward to reading your next update, (as long as it's not today!).