UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » S2R1 Single SSA to Double

Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
Mr.Number

Bike: S2r 1000
S2R1 Single SSA to Double

Is there any of the other Ducati models that have a double sided swing arm that fits the S2r's. When I had my 1k when pushed I would feel the faintest of wobbles when leant over, may well have been the suspension but I bought an FZ8 which is incredibly well planted at any speed in the bends even with the standard shock, which by all accounts isn't particularly well regarded and even though the FZ is heavier I'm wondering how much the double sided swing arm contributes to stability ? I sold the FZ8 and are now looking for another S2R 1000 as I've missed that bike so much.
Mr.Number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:28 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
M620/695/750/800/1000(S)ie & S4 for sure

possibly M900(S)ie & ST2/3/4(S)ie models, but I’m less sure.

although I doubt the SSS was the issue. Tyres, suspension and bearings are far more likely IMHO
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post

Possibly M900(S)ie & ST2/3/4(S)ie models, but I’m less sure.

although I doubt the SSS was the issue. Tyres, suspension and bearings are far more likely IMHO
Definitely M900ie models after mid 2001, or in other words after the hoop was superseded.M900Sie makes no difference.

ST models have a wider rear hub so I imagine that would alter the swinging arm, But I think there would be an issue with the clearance of the rear exhaust pipe too?

I'm with Rob and would think it much more likely that it was an issue with suspension or tyre condition.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
SSSAs are the work of the devil. Intrinsically heavier overall (bad), definite increase in unsprung weight (bad), chain adjustment means change in ride height (bad), seizure of the axle end adjuster due to corrosion promoted by galvanic action (bad) - only good point could be faster rear wheel changes (provided you have a scaffold pole and a couple of mates available to hold the bike.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Suspension, suspension and probably a bit of suspension too.
Single siders are heavier and that makes them rigid, the suspension and tyres have to work harder.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
slob

you’re right gaza, not m900ie
Old 09-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

No M900ie will be compatible after mid 2001 models when the M900ie and Sie changed from hoop to rod link and 25mm axle.
(choice of steel or alloy arms depending on model and spec.)

But why go looking for an S2R1000 to covert to conventional swing arm? Just look for an M1000ie or Sie, which will have a metal tank too.

The conversion will also involve the rear wheel, footrest hangers, exhaust, hugger and probably the suspension link rod among other things... What a palaver!
Old 09-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #8
slob

tie rod is the same, adjustable on s models.
i agree about the hassle, look for an older bike

but again, there should be nothing wrong with a properly set up SSS.
tyre pressures can be critical, for example michelin pilots have stiffer sidewalls than pirelli diabolos, so the diabolos are a little more forgiving on suspension settings
Old 09-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Oh, and you'd need to change the shock too!

I'd agree with Rob's comments above, nothing wrong with standard single cider handling, but why not spend much less money than mucking about with swinging arm conversions and just treat your new S2R to a trick shock and new tyres, or even just a shock overhaul? that transformed my M900Sie, which was probably much wobblier than your S2R before the overhaul, even if it is an Ohlins.
I was told the service interval on the shock is 16000 miles.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #10
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Don't know about the swap, would be interesting but, as above I don't think the SSSA is the cause of any wobble at least not unless there is something flimsy about the swingarm on that model?

Better or worse SSSA worked very well in WSBK for many years and even when Ducati tested a 916 with a double-sider to see it if was of any benefit they ultimately didn't go with it.

I'm no riding God but I've never had any complaints with the handling of my 916, it is rock-steady under all conditions, my M900 whilst very good is certainly not as planted.

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:55 PM   #11
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Number View Post
Is there any of the other Ducati models that have a double sided swing arm that fits the S2r's. When I had my 1k when pushed I would feel the faintest of wobbles when leant over, may well have been the suspension but I bought an FZ8 which is incredibly well planted at any speed in the bends even with the standard shock, which by all accounts isn't particularly well regarded and even though the FZ is heavier I'm wondering how much the double sided swing arm contributes to stability ? I sold the FZ8 and are now looking for another S2R 1000 as I've missed that bike so much.
Switch swing arms for any reason you like except for improving its performance, as it won't change a thing.
Old 13-09-2022, 10:12 PM   #12
Mr.Number

Bike: S2r 1000
OK guys thanks for all those who responded.
Mr.Number is offline   Reply With Quote