UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » A newbie wants to join in and have some fun in rideouts

Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
yantheman
Bronze Member

Bike: M620sie
A newbie wants to join in and have some fun in rideouts

Hi all,

Being a newbie I don't really know what to do in a group ride out. I have my monster for about 5 months now and have been riding alone and would like to join the others. I passed my DAS last October and still learning to ride my bike properly and worried that i would be left behind/slowing people down in a groupie... or am I just being paranoid?

Anyway hope to meet some of you on the board. Here's the picture of the bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg duc.jpeg (38.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by yantheman; 07-05-2008 at 06:04 PM..
yantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Look out in the area section of the forum, slob and Headhunter look after London so I'm sure they'll be along in a minute.

For a big day out, The Monster Weekender is in a few weeks!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
yantheman
Bronze Member

Thanks Pedro. I think my concern is how to behave in a group rideout? since I 've never been to one before and really haven't got a clue...

Is there some sort of group etiquette I need to be aware of?

thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

All will be explained at the Weekender about the national rideout.

Most of it is common sense, staggered road positioning, leaving space etc, you'll get the hang of it in no time

Ped
Old 07-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Most groups behave very well as far as those I have been on. The newbies or slower are best up the front and the faster ones tail behind as they can catch up if traffic splits groups up. In our kent group not often more than 10 most times so is quite good. You can come out with us anytime.

JP joined us a year ago with limited experience and he now leads us at times. Even I do and Im not fast rider.

Its all about enjoyment not racing and trying to get killed. We have rules and those who disregard them usually get a public roasting on this forum sometimes.

Welcome anyway.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

If you can get to Box Hill (close to junction 9 of M25) this Sat, pop along & come for a natter & meet some people. No pressure to ride out - the ride there & back will prob suit to start with (thats what I did the first couple of times). You'll be suprised at how quickly you'll get to know strange people you meet from the internet when you are standing in a car park full of bikes...
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
yantheman
Bronze Member

thanks Pedro and Albie... that scares me to death already

and CK & AK... two people in this profile I believe?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantheman View Post
and CK & AK... two people in this profile I believe?
CK = Charlotte K
AK = Alan K

Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
No No No dont be scared. Its great fun.Lucky you dont have to ride 2 up like me all the time. Come to Arrow Mill. Its going to be a gentle bimble up there. Get a tent and bag and have some fun with us.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
No hard and fast rules more common sense, but I like this one.
Gives you time to see what's going on in front.

The two second rule: The leader starts out in the lane's left track. The second bike is in the right track of the same lane and is only one second behind the leader. Then the third rider will be in the left track of the lane, two seconds behind the leader. The fourth rider is in the right track of the lane, two seconds behind the second bike, and so on down the line. Maintaining this formation, and these distances will discourage other vehicle from cutting into the group. However, if a vehicle does try to cut in between riders in the group, back off and let them in. Safety of the group, is the first concern.

Also
Don't centre your focus on the bike in front of you. Scan ahead instead, just like you do when riding alone.
And if they're going to fast DON'T try to keep up let them get on with it you'll see them later.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.

Last edited by Stafford; 08-05-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
LoughtonLion

Where abouts are you in London? There's a few of us meeting up at High Beach in a few weeks time. Check out the Essex forum. Steve
Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #12
yantheman
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the reply

CK & AK - Thanks Charlotte & Alan, I will try to make it to Box Hill this Sat no doubt!

Albie - Is there a rideout in Arrow Mill soon? Sorry I might be mistaken, is that the The Monster Weekender that Pedro mentioned?

Stafford - Thanks, that sounds a simple enough rule to follow, I will bear this in mind

LoughtonLion - I am in South Tottenham, about 10 mins from M11. The picture of the bike was taken in Epping Forest 2 days ago
Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Hi Yantheman,

Hopefully I'll be arranging a few ride-outs for June or organising a London contingent to meet up and ride down to one of the Surrey/Sussex, or Kent meets.

At the moment my weekends are spent back in Oxford doing some mods to the bike but once they're out of the way (should be by Sunday) I'll be able to sort a few events out.

There's a group meeting up tomorrow night at the Ace Cafe, if you fancy it - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...&highlight=ace

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Headhunter; 07-05-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
Gimley

What time at Box Hill

CK, think it might be a good idea if you mention what time youll be at Box Hill.
Wouldnt mind coming along myself as Ive never been there for a meet and only live in Epsom...

G
Old 07-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Gimley - here you go mate: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=27650

all the info there sir

and also in this thread too: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=27525

look forwards to seeing you there