UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Powder coating, paint or stove enamel?

Old 18-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #31
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosse Foxfight
Huh? If youre decals are self adhesive I would not recommend lacquering or varnishing over them, if that what youre referring to. Leave all paintowrk/enamelling for 2-3 weeks before even touching it and then just apply the decals bare and thats it. Relying on different coats and materials to expand and contract at different rates is too risky, besides they just dont need it........now go on tell me you werent even referring to this

ta ra me ducks

Sean
The decals are only going over the paintwork on the tank, seat unit etc. As it happens, none of the bike was powdercoated or enamelled anyway - I can't exactly remember why but I think it was down to paint matching - couldn't find the right shade of red that I was after. So after all this pub talk banter, I went for paint and polish all round.

Hope this clears up the confusion

best regards

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #32
Fosse Foxfight

Halfords Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesini
The decals are only going over the paintwork on the tank, seat unit etc. As it happens, none of the bike was powdercoated or enamelled anyway - I can't exactly remember why but I think it was down to paint matching - couldn't find the right shade of red that I was after. So after all this pub talk banter, I went for paint and polish all round.

Hope this clears up the confusion

best regards

simon
Hmmm, still a tad ...what was the reference to Halfords Best...the message is still the same...dont lacquer over the decals.

S
Old 18-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #33
M900Dom

Quote:
Hmmm, still a tad ...what was the reference to Halfords Best...the message is still the same...dont lacquer over the decals.

S
You Can laquer over decals, just need to know what your doing and use the right laquer and technique.
If you pick up a spray can of Cellulose you`ll get a reaction.
It all depends on the paint.
Any Decent Decal Manufacturer will tell you what to use and what procedure to follow.
It is a risk though, and a fine balancing act between tricking it to work with very very fine "Dust coats" which is really hard to get a decent finish, or laying on a bit thicker to get it to flow and running the risk of a reaction.
Water based or Acrylics are less likely to react, but harder to paint with.
Some 2K LAquers can be OK as well, but it depends on the decals.
HTH
Dom
Simon, I`ll be in touch
Old 18-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #34
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
The plot thickens?

Quote:

S
Now you're confusing me. I thought it was common practice to lacquer over decals - never thought it was a problem. The only time I haven't had it done was when I knew I wanted to remove the decals at a later date i.e. race numbers. Besides, when using wax over decals, it leaves an ugly residue around the edges which doesn't look pretty.

Why shouldn't you lacquer over decals? Don't all Ducati's have the logo on the tank with lacquered over? Must say that I haven't looked that closely but I was sure that the Ducati decals are not removeable.

Confusion reigns

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #35
Fosse Foxfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesini
Now you're confusing me. I thought it was common practice to lacquer over decals - never thought it was a problem. The only time I haven't had it done was when I knew I wanted to remove the decals at a later date i.e. race numbers. Besides, when using wax over decals, it leaves an ugly residue around the edges which doesn't look pretty.

Why shouldn't you lacquer over decals? Don't all Ducati's have the logo on the tank with lacquered over? Must say that I haven't looked that closely but I was sure that the Ducati decals are not removeable.

Confusion reigns

simon
Hehe, you answered your own question. When theyre lacquered theyre not removable. If youre doing it yourself and you lacquer and it buggers up...its almost definite that youre gonna have to start again. If you let the pros do it then OK....but imho still best on our Monsters that we remain as flexible as possible. It leaves room to get fed up with your decals and change should you wish. Most classic bike restorers used to "coat" their decals/transfers on simply because the adhesives werent available, using varnishes and shellacs.
Put it like this.....lacquer em on...theyre there to stay........dont lacquer em on, and a kettle of boiling water and some lighter fuel and you have a clean surface ready to change style or position of your decals when you get bored.

ta ra

Sean