UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Exhaust studs and nuts

Old 27-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
don_matese

Exhaust studs and nuts

I found that the exhaust manifolds need an M8 stud, are these suitable for a 1995 M600 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANIFOLD-S...-/181160613270 or are they too long?

the nuts on mine have a habit of loosening after a ride so I want to replace them with nice shiny new ones and add a spring washer to help clamp it a bit better...
Old 28-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
fireman sam

Bike: S2r
screwfix

They do a stainless domed M8 that look well and put on a good lock washer
fireman sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I use stainless dome nuts too, but its important to make sure that the stud doesn't bottom out in the dome.
I also fill them with copperslip, but not so much as to cause a(n) hydraulic lock. Maybe drilling a small hole in the end would be worthwhile.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I got new exhaust studs and nuts from the Ducati dealer, they were not expensive...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
zhango

I agree with Dukedesmo and use the Ducati ones. The studs linked to on ebay are 4.6 grade and the workshop manual for my bike states a tightening torque of 24Nm so they would fail.

The copper plated nuts on ebay are staked and while this would stop them coming loose it does mean that you cannot use a torque wrench to tighten them so you have to guess it.

In my opinion, split helical spring washers are rubbish.
Old 29-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
I'd be a little careful with torque figures on older bikes and use a little common sense as to the application of what you're tightening is i.e: Is it safety critical or not?

In the same way as people swap their engine case bolts for Stainless- all well and good but if you try and do them up to many of the stated torque figures you may well rip the thread out of the Alloy or if used in other areas you need to know the alloy rating of the stainless as it is generally weaker than high carbon steel and so cannot be torqued to the same value thus rendering the critical tightness obsolete.

If you want a chuckle you should read one of the workshop manuals for the old Ducati singles where the tightening torque is described as 'Quite Tight' or Very Tight' and so with things such as the exhaust being secured by a threaded ring directly into the head you just wouldn't risk to torque it ......as I say common sense should prevail.

Oh yeah I knew there was something, I second the use of Dome Nuts on my exhaust studs and as mentioned just make sure the profile is correct so as not to bottom out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Exhaust.jpg (33.6 KB, 24 views)