UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Thinking of a Monster......

Old 09-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #46
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Echo what Flip says. He recommended I too replace the fuel lines, pump and tap on my M750 with new but as a skinflint I only replaced some of the fuel lines ,notably the main ones from the tap/ pump. My bike's PO had already rebuilt the vacuum pump with the Allen's kit. The taps had gone up in price considerably when I checked with MR and some of the lines were NLA. I managed to get a s/h tap off this Forum and had to improvise with some of the fuel lines that were NLA.
I'm hoping my misfiring issues are not ethanol related as I always run my bike on super unleaded E5.
May be worth a test ride on the bike you are interested in if possible to check it out more thoroughly?
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #47
motomartin11

A few on here have fitted an aftermarket manual fuel tap as well as or instead of the OE one.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #48
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
is virtually impossible impossible to get it from first to neutral when cold. A bit too much clunk from neutral to first too.
What do you think?
The first to second / neutral to first is often down to chain tension, the 750's I've had and the S2R were/are very touchy about it.
Round town the clutch could be an issue as they tend to be heavy, depends on traffic but the motor is very flexible. Slightly more cranked levers also help.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:42 PM   #49
Brian.

Hi all, and thank you again.

I'm going to have to make my mind up about this one. Earlier contributors to this thread, plus a couple of friends that I've talked to, have suggested that perhaps it'd be best to walk away from this one and that was what I had decided to do.

But - it's in good physical condition, clean & tidy, and the engine sounds really good. It's still got the pillion cowl, has not had a tail chop, and is pretty much standard spec throughout including the silencers. Has a twin front disc conversion. Under 15,000 miles, and three owners including the current one. Very sensible price in comparison to others. But no service history to speak of, prior to the current owner there's been several gaps in the MOT history, it's been used on track days - how much I don't know - the tank has been repaired (but in fairness, very well) & been lined, and has the 1st to neutral problem.

Maybe go for a proper ride on it. It's sorned at the moment so I've only been up & down the seller's road. Maybe bung him a tenner (if he wants it) to tax it for a month and go out on it for half an hour.

I'm not usually one for umming & aahhing like this. It's a case of heart vs head, I want it but my gut feeling is walk away.

But if I don't have this one, I'm definitely having another one.

I'll let you all know - thank you all again for your advice & opinions. Really, thank you.

Brian.

Last edited by Brian.; 09-10-2022 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Missed a bit out.
Brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:22 AM   #50
350TSS

Bike: M900
I sense you problems with this bike are:
1. difficulty of finding neutral - they all do that to some extent - it can be ridden round and there may be an amelioration of the issue with different engine oil, bleeding of the slave cylinder, chain adjustment/replacement - for me this would not be one strike and your out issue
2. the fact that it has been used on trackdays - The engine cannot be over revved - the inlet manifold configuration means that the power drops off naturally - it cannot get enough air/petrol mixture into the cylinders to produce any more power, it is hardly an over stressed unit anyway at less than 100bhp /litre. My 750SS always ran much better after a sound thrashing and in any case the fact that it has been on track days does not mean it has been used that hard anyway. Most novice track day riders do get not to full throttle for much more than 5 seconds a lap, the worst case is if someone changes down too many gears and over revs it that way and the most likely outcome from that is broken piston rings (which if it runs sweetly it obviously does not have), Desmo means the valves cannot interfere with each other. This would also not be a terminal consideration in my book.
So it is down to the price vs the lack of service records vs what else might be available, if you think the price is good and you think the mileage is genuine then it could be an excellent bike.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #51
Brian.

Thank you, some interesting facts for me to consider there.

Thank you
Old 10-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #52
motomartin11

Is it possible to assess the genuiness of the seller Brian? You usually get a feel for these things when you meet up face to face.
What does he have to say about belt and oil changes? These IMHO are the important factors. Does he know what oil is in ? I was told to use semi synth to avoid clutch problems but how vital that is I don't know.
Tyres are another but having said that mine runs and handles fine on old rubber of different makes. Am going to change them but bike keep throwing up other problems!
Again history can be subjective. Mine had covered very few miles in the last 10 years or so before I bought it and I've still probably only done less than 2K due to reliability.
The tank started leaking on mine which doesn't seem a problem with this bike of your's. I had to get another of Ebay which was a risk but has turned out OK.
I don't find the single front disc to be a problem but I suppose 2 are better than one .
Longer test ride seems to be worth the effort if you can then report back on here and help will be on hand.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #53
Brian.

Hi Martin,

With regard to the genuineness of the seller, yes I do think he's quite open about stuff, he didn't waffle over any of the the searching questions I asked.

I've sent you some other stuff in reply to your pm too

Regards, Brian.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #54
Brian.

Just to update you very patient & helpful folks, I spoke to the seller last night and made him a firm offer, from which I've decided I won't increase by more than £50. Definite.

If I don't get it for that then I'll carry on looking, I'm in no rush

Back to you later.

I'm very grateful for all the experience & knowledge you've all shared with me, by the way.

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #55
Brian.

So, I now own a Monster

Some photos here:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q47wodakgq...2cde6.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h20tayeem7...0734f.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhea05nmfp...cae61.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/848mivr53n...93d6c.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/op0a9io12s...93516.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n4zs6fk4s...3c89e.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdvql32m78...b2147.jpg?dl=0

I stuck to my offer, and he accepted it. Will pick it up in the next few days, I need to see when my infinitely better half can take me to collect it.

Thank you all! Very much. You'll be relieved to know that I will be out of your hair now.

Until I get my toolbox out, that is

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #56
motomartin11

Looks to be very original spec to my untrained eye.

Glad you have been able to negotiate a better price.

Don't be afraid to post up any further questions as there's lots of help on hand here.

Also you can use the search facility .
Old 11-10-2022, 04:48 PM   #57
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Nice clean looking bike :mand
We are here for banter as well as tech help
Old 12-10-2022, 11:03 AM   #58
350TSS

You do know that the red ones are faster?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #59
900Rebuilder

Looks very tidy from what I can make out from the pictures
Old 12-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #60
Nickj

Bike: S2r
Now that does look very tidy, glad to hear the negotiations went OK.