UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Side stand issues

Old 15-03-2022, 05:15 PM   #1
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Side stand issues

For some time I have noticed that the side stand on my Monster Evo hasn’t gone forwards in the down position as much as it should & today the bike rolled forward on the stand & nearly fell over. I put it on the lift & discovered that the end of the small pin on which the spring attaches (via a flat but curved bracket) had sheared off. The pin is secured through the mounting plate, it looks like it’s an old fashioned rivet affair. There are two pins, this is the smaller one of the two behind the plate on the crankcase side.

The plate is a complete unit with the two pins & a replacement is an eye-watering £120

I reckon it should be possible to drill the pin out and have someone talented to make a replacement on a lathe. The pin is 7.38mm diameter x 18.30mm in length. The pin needs to have a 2mm wide groove all the way around to accommodate the curved spring bracket thingy.

The stand assembly is shown on page 62 of the parts catalogue.

Anyone else had this problem?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Ron1000

Not had this problem but my side stand made the bike sit very upright. I bought another used from ebay…hoping it to be different and once fitted it had the opposite issue and made it lean really far…still using it and still working fine just looks weird.

Anyway for your issue have a look on ebay. I got a full assembly with all the parts for like £50
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Update:
I managed to drill out the pin using a pillar drill, starting with a 2mm bit the increasing to 5mm in 0.5 increments.

I replaced the pin with a stainless M5 button head socket screw and a nylock nut on the other end. The S shaped bracket that hooks on to the 2 springs fitted nicely around the head of the socket screw. On testing the stand, I found that the screw rotates slightly so hopefully the wear that caused the original pin to fail should be minimised.

I had the screws & nuts to hand so zero cost compared with potentially shelling out £120.
Old 17-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #4
Luddite

Nicely done, Paul. And even more satisfying when you know you've saved a big chunk of cash too!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Nicely done, Paul. And even more satisfying when you know you've saved a big chunk of cash too!
Especially when the bike insurance is due at the end of this month and the PS needs new tyres
Old 26-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Update:
I managed to drill out the pin using a pillar drill, starting with a 2mm bit the increasing to 5mm in 0.5 increments.

I replaced the pin with a stainless M5 button head socket screw and a nylock nut on the other end. The S shaped bracket that hooks on to the 2 springs fitted nicely around the head of the socket screw. On testing the stand, I found that the screw rotates slightly so hopefully the wear that caused the original pin to fail should be minimised.

I had the screws & nuts to hand so zero cost compared with potentially shelling out £120.
I’m a great believer in DIY fixes, but are you sure this socket screw is strong enough to take the loading it is subjected to? I doubt that it is as strong as a solid pin, as a screw is not designed to take a sideways load.
Old 26-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #7
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
I’m a great believer in DIY fixes, but are you sure this socket screw is strong enough to take the loading it is subjected to? I doubt that it is as strong as a solid pin, as a screw is not designed to take a sideways load.
You make a valid point and the honest answer is “I don’t know”. All I have to go on are the following observations:

Firstly, the original fixed pin had sheared at the point where the “s” shaped bracket (attached to the two springs) had it’s anchor point. I am assuming that as the bracket swivelled on the pin as the side stand was operated, this caused a groove in the pin which eventually cut through it entirely. On examination this would appear to be the case.

Secondly, the replacement socket screw actually rotates as the stand is operated so I would hope that this should minimise any wear on the socket screw.

Thirdly, the sideways load should be minimal as the bracket is attached just below the socket screw head and in any case the gap between side stand plate and the underside of the socket screw cap is no more than 3mm. Most of the socket screw length is held within the plate and old pin housing (20mm) so only a small percentage of the full screw length is subject to a sideways force.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your comments & I will keep a closer eye on the repair than perhaps I might otherwise have done ��
Old 26-03-2022, 02:10 PM   #8
Ron1000

I might have a full assembly you could have. I’ll look late today.
Old 26-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #9
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
I might have a full assembly you could have. I’ll look late today.
Thank you, that’s very kind. I did look on EBay but none were available
Old 26-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #10
Ron1000

This bit?

Old 26-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #11
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

That’s the boy! It’s the pin on the other side of the plate that failed.You can see the head which looks like a rivet head in the photo
Old 26-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #12
Ron1000

PM me your address and I’ll stick it in post for you.

Best give a wee clean up tho
Old 26-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #13
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
What a great forum this is.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #14
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
What a great forum this is.
Agreed! Terrific!
Old 27-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #15
crawsue
Bronze Member

Who said “ charity begins at home” ? !!!!!
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote