UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Aftermarket rear sets

Old 23-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
ngavin2001

Aftermarket rear sets

Any about for sale? They are going onto a 1996 M600 but I believe they are interchangable between models. Thanks
Old 24-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
You could try these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/27437274182...xoCyL4QAvD_BwE
used by Desmodue race bikes, no brake light switch position so you will need a hydraulic switch about £10 off fleabay
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Or these should fit
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...16592dbbh71qvl

Sorry - my mistake see below

Last edited by 350TSS; 24-05-2020 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: correction
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
No, they are for S*R
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
first questions: do you ever use pillion pegs? and what type of exhaust do you have?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Nasher

The trouble with most aftermarket rearsets for an early Monster is the manufacturers leave it up to the buyer to design and fabricate their own exhaust, and if needed pillion footpeg, mounts.

So I nice set of good looking rearsets look awful once extended to mount the exhausts.

Nasher.
Old 24-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
slob

Ducabike still make pegs for older Monsters

https://ducabike.com/ducatiparts/en/...ets-black.html

but only good with high level pipes and no passenger pegs, they’re basically the same as the old Ducati Performance ones.
S&P used to make beautiful ones with optional passenger/exhaust brackets but sadly not any more

Last edited by slob; 24-05-2020 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: found pic
Old 24-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
ngavin2001

Nope no need for pillion pegs and I have high level DP exhausts. I contacted race supplies direct on eBay and asked them about the possible need for a brake return spring. They didn't take too kindly to the question and now won't sell me them. It was a bit back and forward saying return springs don't exist in rear or front brakes, when I said they do I was asked "Sorry mate where is the return spring in a front brake?". I was pretty much told it was a ridiculous question and they would rather sell to someone else. Anyway I think they are out of the question now which is disappointing as I was interested. There is a bit to come back to me on Tuesday on Facebook about DP rearsets and clipons so hopefully that goes well.
Anyone using SES ones?
Old 24-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #9
slob

I've used SES rearsets on Speed Triples, they're a much better quality finish than RSD, which are functional but a bit rough and ready. The Ducabike ones are a good finish too. Racers tend to use an elastic band or slice of inner tube for a return spring, since looks aren't so important on track, simplicity and low weight are key. I know Rizoma and some others incorporate a return spring on the master cylinder. Mine (in the photo above) don't have one and function just fine.
Old 25-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngavin2001 View Post
Nope no need for pillion pegs and I have high level DP exhausts. I contacted race supplies direct on eBay and asked them about the possible need for a brake return spring. They didn't take too kindly to the question and now won't sell me them. It was a bit back and forward saying return springs don't exist in rear or front brakes, when I said they do I was asked "Sorry mate where is the return spring in a front brake?". I was pretty much told it was a ridiculous question and they would rather sell to someone else. Anyway I think they are out of the question now which is disappointing as I was interested. There is a bit to come back to me on Tuesday on Facebook about DP rearsets and clipons so hopefully that goes well.
Anyone using SES ones?
What a mardy git! To be honest I had the RSD ones on my Monster when I bought it and the shop had attempted to fit a spring which I think was requested during the MOT test before I could collect the bike. I took it off because it was a horrible bodge and it never was an issue with my local MOT guy. I since got rid of the RSD rearsets as like Rob says they are functional but a bit rough, no adjustment in them at all.

I eventually replaced them with some proper Ducati Performance ones which again have no spring but the spring in the master cylinder is usually enough.

I will avoid RSD in future now as that attitude just sucks!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That's appaling service - it's a shame you can't post an eBay review without buying anything.

And your question about springs is perfectly reasonable. This is a reply from an earlier thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=53508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I think it might just be a question of "feel" as a result of your rearsets. The standard footrest comes with quite a strong return spring hooked under the pedal so you feel some resistance when you press it.

When you remove the standard pegs, you lose that spring. A lot of rearsets don't come with a replacement so it's hard to gauge how much pressure you're applying. Some rearsets do have a small conical coil return spring like this one from Sato http://satoracing.com/brakereturnspring.htm that fits on or in the master cylinder and that can improve the feel.

My current rearsets don't have a spring and I had thought about fitting one but soon got used to the feeling so didn't bother. Now they feel perfectly natural.
And even the top professionals use Rob's rubber band method:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Racers tend to use an elastic band or slice of inner tube for a return spring, since looks aren't so important on track, simplicity and low weight are key.
This is Biaggi's RS250...

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
That's appaling service - it's a shame you can't post an eBay review without buying anything.

And your question about springs is perfectly reasonable. This is a reply from an earlier thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=53508

And even the top professionals use Rob's rubber band method:

This is Biaggi's RS250...

Yea, I'd be raging about that response, but it's his business and his loss of business at the end of the day. But his response is just as stupid, of course hand brakes don't need a return spring because it's bloody obvious if you have it pulled in your hand or not. It's not so obvious with a foot brake which you could drag on and burn out with your boot without knowing. i mean there not exactly renowned for their stopping power so you wouldn't feel it dragging anyway!

I will have to take a look a the Ducabike ones if they are like the DP ones because they do at least offer some adjust ability.

Old 25-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Some cheap and nasty rearsets that were on my bike when I bought it: -

Old 25-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #14
ngavin2001

Yes I was quite surprised by the response. I will hold out for Ducati Performance ones. Thanks for the advise everyone!
Old 25-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #15
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

I use SES rearsets on my 1992 900SS thing, they are good quality and do what I need:

https://www.sesraceproducts.com/fixe...d004-216-p.asp

Yorkie