UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Of interest? - no connection

Old 29-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Of interest? - no connection

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373035786484?ul_noapp=true
Interesting to see what it makes
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Interesting for sure and yet another opportunity for me to bitch about someone riding around on a bike of unknown belt age.. This one even says they look ropey!

I will make another point about this though, and you can discuss among yourselves.
So is it ethical to post up ads for Monsters or other bikes on here?
I think it's fine if it's yours or a mates bike, but otherwise it's just promoting John Doe's dubious Monster with iffy belts and tyres.
The thing is, that if it is of interest to a member on here then it could well be of interest to two members on here and that would lead to a conflict of interests and a bidding war against members, possibly friends.
Other forums do ban this practice of linking to ads, probably for this reason. (..and thank goodness this forum does not have all those crushing rules.)

Perhaps it would be better to send a PM to someone known to be looking for a Monster, (or other.) Anyone actively looking for to buy will be actively searching and probably would not want someone flagging up a bike that want to put a few quiet bids on.

Just some thoughts, I wondered what the general consensus was? Looking forward to your views..
Old 29-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
You make some interesting points there Mr Gazza but who's to say that two members form here find it themselves and bid against each other anyway, this will not change if the ad isn't raised on the forum.
I don't think its necessarily a bad thing as some people might be interested in a project at the right price but is not overly bothered by make (as I am). Highlighting a Monster could be enough to keep it "within the Ducati community" where there is a wealth of knowledge. I often look out for a bargain but with over 31,000 bikes on fleabay finding a bike like this might pass me by. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 29-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea,some good points and personally I don't have an issue with it, there will always be bidding against someone irrespective if it's on here or not. I've always posted stuff; ads, shop items, articles etc if I think they would be of interest to members on here who might not have had the time to look themselves. If I know of someone who is specifically looking for something then I would usually message them before posting it to the general forum anyway.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
vince53

Bike: M1100s
Make your own decision ? this is my old bike minus a few bits and plus some horrible black paint up for sale on the bay , when I sold it , it had main ends gone ,running but gone , no mention of this in add but he might not know as taken in PX , it's done next to no miles since I sold it ,the guy was going to do the main ends but obviously changed his mind , if they have been done should be bill's for bit's or job ,just thought I should say ,I'd be thankful if some one told me ,all the best guys ,vince * )

Last edited by vince53; 29-04-2020 at 11:47 AM..
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Thanks Vince, and that's a good enough reason to post stuff like this in the first place!

Old 29-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Its a difficult one to call really ... whether or not to flag up something of potential interest and risk a bidding conflict or to keep quiet.
A further way of looking at it is that two members who would otherwise have unknowingly bid against each other could come to a mutual arrangement between themselves, thus keeping the price down and thereby doing the seller out of getting the best price.
I'm not sure that there is an answer to this one.
Having said that, I think this forum is a natural place to give a heads-up on interesting monsters that come up for sale.

You could make similar comments about parts and accessories too.
My view on this is that I would probably flag up anything rare or unusual that I spotted, if it is the sort of thing that I feel may be attractive or sought after within the monster community.
At the same time, I might be a bit miffed if I was hoping to have my own bid on the quiet for something which got publicised.
Again its a difficult one to answer in my opinion.
My overall view possibly tends towards the notion that this is a monster forum and would be the worse for not having interesting bikes and bits being flagged up.

On the belts issue ... is the lockdown getting to you a bit and making you a bit of tetchy mate ? .....
There is no mention of these belts being ropey, just that there is no record of recent replacement.
ps. for those who don't know, this is a friendly leg pull between very good mates.

I notice that the bike in question has a steel swingarm.
I thought the 900s all had an ally arm ...??
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

All 900s from '00 to '03 apart from the S had a steel swinging arm and bars, thus says the Monster Bible.

So I think it is correct for the year. Non-adjustable forks fitted the same as the 750 for those years too. The S had adjustable ones and Ohlins rear for the first year or so too. The Metallic was basically a Dark with metal flake tank paint.

Old 29-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
All 900s from '00 to '03 apart from the S had a steel swinging arm and bars, thus says the Monster Bible.

So I think it is correct for the year. Non-adjustable forks fitted the same as the 750 for those years too. The S had adjustable ones and Ohlins rear for the first year or so too. The Metallic was basically a Dark with metal flake tank paint.
My '02 is not an "S" as far as I am aware, I don't know if there was such a thing made in that year. It does have an aluminium swing arm. It has adjustable forks too.

So the bible is wrong, Ducati assemblers used the wrong parts, or my bike could have had both changed by previous owners.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks for engaging with this in a friendly way chaps. Some interesting view points expressed, keeping me on the fence a bit longer.

Thanks to Vince for intervening with some important info. Clearly the seller does not know about this as the appraisal of the bike seems fairly honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post

On the belts issue ... is the lockdown getting to you a bit and making you a bit of tetchy mate ? .....
There is no mention of these belts being ropey, just that there is no record of recent replacement.
ps. for those who don't know, this is a friendly leg pull between very good mates.
Tetchy? Today would have been the day I would have packed the bike up for a weekend in Wales/Cheshire, hoping for a bit of plane spotting in the Mach Loop and then spending the rest of the weekend riding with my Monster mates, perusing some aircraft museums and an RAF base... The Sun beats into the window as I type! I think I'm okay with it?
The belts thing in adverts is a thing with me. I can't stand the ignorance that sellers preach with such sincerity, or just ride roughshod over without a mention when also claiming it started alright after a 5 year lay up and the tyres look new with plenty of tread!!
This particular seller did mention that the belts didn't show signs of being changed recently.. I added the "ropey" bit.

Leg pulled; now one is longer than the other..
Old 29-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
My '02 is not an "S" as far as I am aware, I don't know if there was such a thing made in that year. It does have an aluminium swing arm. It has adjustable forks too.

So the bible is wrong, Ducati assemblers used the wrong parts, or my bike could have had both changed by previous owners.
The bible is never wrong. Falloon is a margue expert works with the factory and is usually spot on, it just sometimes gets confusing with all the changes. I guess i was looking at the chapter heading '00 to '03 and generalising. The split down by year in each sub section is a little clearer. Is yours with the hoop frame or later one? Earlier ones '00-'01 were discussed on page 41 and now on page 63 for '02 there are further updates for the new style frame ones and the S was actually discontinued that year and kept some S features and had ally swing arm with the new style frame and adj forks. I think you have to read the whole chapter to get the whole picture?

So there is a bit of a grey area around '02-'03. The whole 900 S thing is a minefield as there are so many variations. Other S models are clearer.

On further reading yours would appear to be correct for the '02 year.

Old 29-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #12
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
No hoop, no "S", no Ohlins. Alloy s/arm & adj forks correct! I just need the Falloon book...
Old 29-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, would be good lockdown reading for you. It was, I expect a huge mess for them around '00 and I think it took them a few years to sort it all out, but they turned it around in the end.

Old 29-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
this is my old bike , when I sold it , it had main ends gone
Well there's one bit of useful info that we wouldn't have known if the ad had not been linked to.

Caveat emptor and all that but having some inside knowledge is helpful...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Tetchy? Today would have been the day I would have packed the bike up for a weekend in Wales/Cheshire, hoping for a bit of plane spotting in the Mach Loop and then spending the rest of the weekend riding with my Monster mates, perusing some aircraft museums and an RAF base... The Sun beats into the window as I type! I think I'm okay with it?
......hey mate, I guess I am sad really, was looking forward to a day of Mach loop voyerism followed by a casual few at the bar, I wondered why I had an overwhelming desire to head straight for the beer fridge when I came home....now I know.....so back to the thread......I think it's good having a heads up on bikes, it's up to the individual to decide if they take plunge or not , communication good