UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Headlamp Adapter Rings

Old 15-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #61
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
yea, and I'm coming down from the usual 8 inches too!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #62
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I had considered hydro dip carbon style but when I looked into the starter kits are £50 so that's not viable for one small item...
Hydro dipping has certainly come a long way in recent years. This carbon effect is very convincing.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #63
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
yea, and I'm coming down from the usual 8 inches too!
Bah, it's only average...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #64
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, I think if I had a load of bits to do it would be worth the effort, but for one small part that isn't really seen it was overkill. I have too much carbon on the bike now anyway!

Old 16-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #65
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Finger pulled out with a resounding pop and paint ordered!
Coming by bicycle from Outer Mongolia, so not expected until Wednesday at the earliest... Black rings available soon..
Old 19-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #66
ngavin2001

Can I put my name down for one please? I would also take it plain if that suited? Thanks
Old 19-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #67
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I've sent you a pm ngavin2001..
Old 23-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #68
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I origanally thought these LED units were too modern looking and would not suit a monster with it's retro style headlamp, but I have had a rethink considering the carbon shell/rim that I bought but was undecided on what to do. It would look ok with the chrome rim with the original lamp/lens but that was poor and even HID wasn't brilliant and since they have decided that HID conversions are not acceptable I decided to to go for it.

I have since decided that it would look nice with an LED unit, so with Gazza's help I'm just getting all the bits together.

Well all the required parts for this conversion are slowly coming together now. I still need some minor hardware: rim clamp and screw etc. and the wiring loom, since I want to make this conversion to swap out the whole headlight unit plug and play so I can switch it easily: -

Carbonvani shell and rim: -

Which I have to say is just an absolutely lovely bit of kit: -

One of Gazzas adapter rings: -

LED lamp unit: -

It all seems to fit together nicely. I've not used the clips yet as I noticed that the lamp unit was cracked and it is still visible when fitted together so I am waiting for a replacement/refund on that.

More to follow when I clip it all together.

This is what it should look like when all 3 parts together: -

Last edited by Darren69; 24-05-2020 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added new pic
Old 24-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #69
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I also tend to think the LED headlamps don't really suit a Monster, well my Monster anyway.
It's all a very subjective thing, but in a full carbon shell and rim I reckon that's the way to pull it off. It looks good, but I reckon to really gild the lily it needs for that adapter to be hydro-dipped carbon.. Sorry Darren I think you're going to have to go the whole Hog..

I appreciate that the ink sheets and stuff to set up is expensive for one ring, or even for a batch, as I discovered when looking into this, but have you tried getting a price from a dipping studio to do a small one off?
Old 24-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #70
slob

mmmm... carbon (look) dipped mdf... tasteful... :-/
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #71
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This place is only about 50 miles from you, Darren, and, looking at their prices, would probably be around £20-£25 for your piece.

https://vitalhydrographic.co.uk/
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 05:46 AM   #72
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I'll look into it as a possible future tweak, but to be honest I'm perfectly happy with the black finish for now, it looks like part of the lamp unit anyway which is also black (anodised aluminium).

The case of the damaged lens on the ebay lamp unit has now gone to Paypal so I will expect a result back in 48hours.

Old 25-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #73
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Looking forward to seeing the finished result on the bike Darren. It will give me a good kick up the bum to get mine fitted, I've had the adaptor ring for years now
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #74
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the finished result on the bike Darren. It will give me a good kick up the bum to get mine fitted, I've had the adaptor ring for years now
Yea, me too, and it would have been already, had it not been for the fiasco of the lamp being cracked when I went to put it all together.

I think sometimes modifications need a longer time to be considered but I'm the worst for having an idea, buying the bits and then thinking um, not sure and forgetting about it. This particular mod has been in the pipeline for quite a few years now and I happened to notice the carbon bits sat unloved in a dust covered box. Originally the plan was to give the original lamp unit a facelift with a carbon shell. The guy at Carbonvani convinced me that I needed a rim too and it would be easier to make one that matched the housing he was making for me.

I originally thought the shell would look cool with the chrome rim and original light unit but considering that they are so old and rubbish it would be folly I thought to throw a light weight shell at it and burden it with a heavy and still rubbish light unit. I went down the HID route with the original unit and so the carbon bits have languished until now when I had considered the original idea but with an LED unit, then I thought well what am I going to do with the rim then anyway. Having seen some bikes with the Motodemic conversion I was swayed to go the whole hog and go full carbon with the LED unit. It's modern/retro look seemed to be a good idea, in my mind at least. And it is so light compared to the original I am convinced now that this is the way to go.

Old 25-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #75
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

That was a good tip from that Gazza bloke to get a price from the hydro- dippers, so I followed Luddite's link and sent them an email for a quote.

Just testing the water here, but who would pay circa £60 for an adapter ring in faux carbon? Bearing in mind that the only other alternative is a heavier alloy ring from America, polished or black for circa £110.