UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Headlamp Adapter Rings

Old 25-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #76
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That seems a bit salty, Mr G, especially considering that their pricing page quotes fairings from £35 per panel and mudguards from £50.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #77
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
carbon if you want strength, lightness or even the look but please, not fake carbon! You could make a mould of your mdf one and produce real cf ones for under £110
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #78
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, I think I'm with Rob on that one, fake carbon is a bit naff especially on a Ducati, maybe ok on a rice burner, still naff but expected.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #79
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well the question was actually who would buy one at that price, which I would hope I over estimated anyway, But thanks for the replies all the same guys..

Damn! looks like I'm going to have to Gold leaf my ring now... We don't like fake! (Apparently.)

I'm still interested to see what the dippers come back with. I'm fully expecting them to throw a paddy at dipping MDF, which will be fun.

The good news is that Satin Black rings are available again, and a few Gold ones too.
These are now £20 posted second class.
Old 25-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #80
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Just to be a bit controversial, I think there are a few cases where fake carbon is perfectly fine.
In general, I would avoid it for all the reasons that most would quote but I think there are exceptions.
For example, I know of one monster (which shall remain nameless) which was fitted with a carbon airbox lid.
This created a mismatch with the main/lower airbox section and so this was dipped in looky-likey carbon.
The result looks a lot better than it did before.
Now, one could have spent an absolute fortune on replacing the lower section with a genuine carbon fibre item but what would this really have achieved ?
The weight loss would have been relatively insignificant and so the main object of the exercise was to unify the cosmetic appearance .. which the dipping achieved.
In fact to my mind, you could argue that the requirement for a "real" carbon airbox in this case would have amounted to admitting that you were prepared to spend silly money in order to achieve very little tangible benefit ... which is kinda uncool in its own way, is it not ?

Horses for courses, in my opinion.
Though in the case of the carbon headlamp shell, I reckon the black ring would look fine anyway, so no need to dip there really.
I still fancy mine in a micro-paisley though. ....
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #81
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Well the question was actually who would buy one at that price, which I would hope I over estimated anyway, But thanks for the replies all the same guys..

Damn! looks like I'm going to have to Gold leaf my ring now... We don't like fake! (Apparently.)

I'm still interested to see what the dippers come back with. I'm fully expecting them to throw a paddy at dipping MDF, which will be fun.

The good news is that Satin Black rings are available again, and a few Gold ones too.
These are now £20 posted second class.
Gold leafing your ring? Okay...
Old 02-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #82
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I've just got my quote back for hydro-dipping an adapter with faux carbon.
£50 for one ring, not sure if that includes postage back, but add postage there anyway.

It was a bit less per ring on a batch of 4, but since I have a demand of nought I guess that particular avenue is somewhat of a cul-de-sac!

Jeff, I think I know the bike you allude to with the dipped airbox, and if I'm right it also has some other undetectable carbon dipped parts that you really cannot tell from real carbon.
You gave me a big idea with dipping my airbox as I have been thinking on and off for a long while as to how to be rid of the black plastic. Unfortunately mine is also ribbed which offends me too, not sure if carbon effect would make the ribs palatable. I will have to look at that dipped airbox the next time I see it.
Although I have had another idea up my sleeve for a while..
Old 02-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #83
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
You gave me a big idea with dipping my airbox as I have been thinking on and off for a long while as to how to be rid of the black plastic. Unfortunately mine is also ribbed which offends me too, not sure if carbon effect would make the ribs palatable. I will have to look at that dipped airbox the next time I see it.
Although I have had another idea up my sleeve for a while..
I suppose producing a 3D aCAD model to CNC mill one from solid would be a tad expensive? A shame as a titanium one could be rather exclusive!
Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #84
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You can buy ally CNC ones from the US but they are $90 plus shipping and tax, so around £150ish. You could probably get a CNC one made locally cheaper!

Old 02-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #85
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I will be making a bespoke airbox for the 750SS when the project gets going, but I must admit Titanium as a material did not spring to mind!!
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #86
Darkness

Quote:
I will be making a bespoke airbox for the 750SS when the project gets going, but I must admit Titanium as a material did not spring to mind!!
Magnesium?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #87
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Nooo! You ejit!.. You know very well MDF is my favourite material.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #88
Darkness

Wooden be surprised!!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #89
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Wooden be surprised!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJbS7VHbcko

Old 06-06-2020, 08:27 PM   #90
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Just a quick update as on this as the replacement lamp arrived this morning. So I decided I would have a go and see how it all fitted together. Sorry not great photos as not the best day for pics and I didn't want to break out my 35mm digital so phone pics will have to do:

Everything seems to fit together ok, so thanks Gazza for the adapter which I think I leave as is for now/ It all looks fine to me and blends in nicely. It weighs next to nothing so the next bit will be the wiring which as I have modified mine for the HID unit currently fitted will be a new standard loom.

The only other part that I need is the retaining clip and screw that fits both parts of the lamp together. they don't seem to list that part so I may have to buy a scrapper headlamp rim for the bits unless someone has a lead on one? The wiring loom I can source from Ducati if I need to.

If you do this mod, pay attention to the warnings about the W clips as they can and will fly out and cause damage. The first one is the hardest and that one flew out did and hit me in the cheek and it still stings now. I had glasses on so no worries and was able to find it again, but just take care they can and will catch you out.