UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Coast to Coast route planning, Marshalling and breakdown

Old 25-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
MarkF

Oh and Cassington bike show is hereabouts

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5!4d-1.3433006
Old 25-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
the run from cassington to wooton basset via bibury is okay, apart from the hordes of tourists photographing arlington row
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #18
Maggsy

Bike: M696
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/We...a76f5f!1m0!3e0

How about this?

Takes in the lovely B4009 including crossing the Thames at Goring and Streatley.
Then a have a breather on the A34 dual carriageway heading South.
Pick up the A4 for some wide sweeping bends passing through Hungerford and Marlborough.
At Beckhampton head South on A361, through Devizes and pick up A350 at Semington.
Head South on A350 past Warminster until you go under A303.
Right at the lights on B3089 to arrive at Little Chef and Esso (no ethanol!) garage.
From here take A303 West or head South to Shaftesbury and pick up A30.

I have avoided A303 at Stonehenge as there will probably be long queues Westbound.
Should be OK coming back next day though when people will probably be looking for the route with least gear changes to rest those tired left forearms!

I plan to join in as the ride approaches Wiltshire (whichever route you go for) and then carry on until Devon.

Happy to help with marshaling or whatever.
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Maggsy. I love the whole deal!

You have mapped it, fixed a good third waypoint going in the right direction and the roads are a good mix. I like that it goes through an AONB and also passes West Kennet.

Thinking that the B4009 might slow things down, along with the other "pretty" sections, I checked out the average speed, which is actually up on the first two sections.
Setting off from waypoint 3 would put us about 9 hours in, (at about 1.30pm ish) if all goes very smoothly, and a little past the halfway mark.

I am inclined to make this the third leg and waypoint unless anyone can spot any glaring hic-ups. There may also be the opportunity to shave off some of the corners and make it even quicker without missing too many of the good bits?

Thank you Maggsy. Thank you also for your offer of marshalling. This is something I will need to address, but I seem to be very easily overloaded in my old age, so hopefully I can put that off for a little while.
Old 26-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Mark. I have to thank you too for your suggestions and offers.
I think that the Biker Café is a little too far off course and also too far from waypoint 1, needing an extra stop. A bit of crude maths tells me that we can't afford to waste any time with extra stops. It's a shame. If the Café were about 15 miles further East and had a petrol station on site, it would be perfect.
Much the same would apply to Cassington too, also we would pass through way before their show starts.

Please don't be disheartened. I appreciate all contributions... Stay on board..
Old 26-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #21
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Okay we are now in the position of only needing one more waypoint if it is very carefully placed.
The A30 looks like a very good bet, as suggested by Char and others.
RossObey01 suggested a nice route across Dartmoor. (I will try and find the link), so that would be something to aim for.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 26-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #22
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Cheers Mr Gazza.

I travel a lot through work so I use Google maps a lot!

If you need me to recce any routes, amendments or stops give me a shout. I know most areas along the route quite well, apart from your neck of the woods!

I've got the whole day available so just let me know any time re marshaling etc.
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Found Ross's bit of Dartmoor.
https://goo.gl/maps/VRoh8hXr15B2
It would be nice to work this in if there is not too big a time penalty.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 26-02-2017 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Correct link inserted
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #24
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Wrong link I think, Gary.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yep....Sorry about that. I've put the right link in now.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

https://goo.gl/maps/UHx5YgJc6412

The route in the link broadly represents the last two legs of the trip. It is not supposed to be the final version as I have zero local knowledge.
I am appealing to those with local knowledge to suggest modifications to this route and also an appropriate stop off at around the 90 mile mark. (As before, for fuel, sustenance and a wee.)
The section is 200 miles so a 100 mile waypoint would be okay, but either way I think we need to also stop for fuel at least, at say, Hayle. So we are full for the ride to the B&B and the next day's ride also.

Adding up the leg times that google gives, and allowing for an hour's stop at each waypoint. I reckon we will be setting off for the last 200 miles at about 1.30 to 2pm.

Sunset is at 9.30pm at Land's End, so that's 7.5 hours to do the last 200 miles including at least one stop.... It all sounds feasible?
But this is the area which I anticipate having the worst traffic. So again I am appealing for local knowledge to help us avoid the worst of the traffic and pick a nice flowing route.
This is also going to be the most physically challenging section, as we will be fatigued and probably prone to an odd error of judgement or two? So it might be good to lessen the pace a little.

If you know the area and can spare a few minutes to ponder this over the next few days It would be great... We've nearly cracked it.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 12-04-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Anyone..?

The Exeter bit looks terrible. I'm sure we can do better.
Old 17-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #28
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Coast To Coast T-shirts now available.. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55060

... And another chance for me to ask if anyone can fine tune the Devon/Cornwall section.. Please.
Old 17-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #29
Flip

Bike: M900
O.K now things are panning out nicely I reckon that if you still plan on being around Oxford for 09:00 I will cut across the Downs- Midhurst, Haslemere, Alton then onto Basingstoke to meet up with you all around Newbury.

Then I can ride down to wherever until I need to turn back and head for home as I can only make the Saturday due to wifey working on Sundays.

Anyone along my route who fancies meeting up for the rendezvous please get in touch.
Old 18-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #30
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Anyone..?

The Exeter bit looks terrible. I'm sure we can do better.
I reckon 4 miles of Motorway is probably a good move at that point, rather than getting stuck in an alien city centre for half and hour trying to keep a pack of bikes together and make decent progress
slob is offline   Reply With Quote