UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Swingarm pivot and shims

Old 22-11-2023, 09:11 AM   #16
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Thanks for all the pictures they are very helpful and the P-clip route looks like a very good idea especially if the S brackets are going to be as hard to find as I suspect. Need to pull all the back end out again before I get to this part of the build.

I wondered when walking the dog this morning if the clips go onto the shaft rather than in the swingarm?
Old 22-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #17
Dukedesmo

Ducati use snap rings rather than circlips, maybe circlips don't fit inside the plastic cover so well? They sit on the shaft and butt up to the swingarm, at least they do if the shaft is long enough;

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #18
900Rebuilder

Mine is definitely wrong looking at that picture
Old 28-11-2023, 09:52 AM   #19
900Rebuilder

Right - removed the swingarm last night and carefully removed the powder coating from the surfaces that need to have metal on metal contact and surprisingly the gap is not massive but will obviously require some shimming. Does anyone know of a supplier of these so I can buy a selection as I imagine Ducati will be expensive?

Also the shaft I have is obviously for a narrower swingarm so that will be sold of at some point as it was brand new in with the bike parts. Need to see about getting the correct part now
Old 28-11-2023, 10:07 AM   #20
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Right - removed the swingarm last night and carefully removed the powder coating from the surfaces that need to have metal on metal contact and surprisingly the gap is not massive but will obviously require some shimming. Does anyone know of a supplier of these so I can buy a selection as I imagine Ducati will be expensive?

Also the shaft I have is obviously for a narrower swingarm so that will be sold of at some point as it was brand new in with the bike parts. Need to see about getting the correct part now
Shims should be available at various suppliers, there was one linked to in another thread recently; https://springfasteners.co.uk/produc...shers-din-988/

Otherwise, I've got a few in my spares along with a 900 swingarm spindle that maybe long enough (264mm) depending on whether your swingarm is standard Monster width or wider 851/888 width as was my old one? also got spare end plugs and snap rings following my recent swingarm swap, if it helps.

Old 28-11-2023, 12:00 PM   #21
900Rebuilder

Thanks DD mine is wider 888 style so I'm going to guess its going to be harder to find. I'll also check out the other thread as I'd like to have a few to help get it right rather than keep ordering more.
Old 28-11-2023, 12:14 PM   #22
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Thanks DD mine is wider 888 style so I'm going to guess its going to be harder to find. I'll also check out the other thread as I'd like to have a few to help get it right rather than keep ordering more.
From memory, the 264mm spindle fitted flush to the ends of my old swingarm, leaving no room for the snap rings whereas, in the Monster swingarm the snap ring grooves fit to the ends as you would expect.

I don't know whether 888 arms ever had snap rings or whether that was an addition when going to the Monster models? I did briefly look for a longer spindle but didn't find anything, but I didn't look or try too hard as it worked fine without the rings - until the swingarm cracked that is, at which point snap rings would have held it all together. Though, I suppose I might then not have noticed the cracks seeing as they were on the underside?

You could always get a spindle made to suit, I had a rear wheel spindle made for mine (from titanium) as I was struggling to find one at the time.

Old 28-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #23
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
From memory, the 264mm spindle fitted flush to the ends of my old swingarm, leaving no room for the snap rings whereas, in the Monster swingarm the snap ring grooves fit to the ends as you would expect.

I don't know whether 888 arms ever had snap rings or whether that was an addition when going to the Monster models? I did briefly look for a longer spindle but didn't find anything, but I didn't look or try too hard as it worked fine without the rings - until the swingarm cracked that is, at which point snap rings would have held it all together. Though, I suppose I might then not have noticed the cracks seeing as they were on the underside?

You could always get a spindle made to suit, I had a rear wheel spindle made for mine (from titanium) as I was struggling to find one at the time.
Might be cheaper than genuine lol
Old 29-11-2023, 12:13 AM   #24
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
There's a nice Monster arm on ebay atm why not get that and sell the 888 one? Not mine btw.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 06:58 AM   #25
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
There's a nice Monster arm on ebay atm why not get that and sell the 888 one? Not mine btw.
This ones been done black now so too much hassle tbh I'll just look out for another shaft
Old 22-01-2024, 07:32 AM   #26
900Rebuilder

Bought a new pivot or axle as Ducati refer to it and cross referenced it with both the M900 and the 888 due to the swingarm style and this is the end result. The axle is clamped within the square section of the swingarm and its only not clamped by the round parts where the plugs cover but I was expecting it to be full width.

Whilst I dont feel its dangerous my brain is telling me it is not right
Old 22-01-2024, 07:33 AM   #27
900Rebuilder

Old 22-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #28
Dukedesmo

That's not right at all and it can't help with any possible cracking/slipping.

The 888 arm that I had was wider than the M900 I now have but the axle did reach the end of the arm, flush on both sides. I wasn't particularly happy with that but assumed that 888 didn't originally have the groove for the snap ring and that, maybe it was added when the later 'Monster arm' was made, perhaps as part of the 'fix' for the cracking issue?

Either way, especially given my misadventure I'd be looking to get one of the correct length, custom made if necessary.

Old 22-01-2024, 09:07 AM   #29
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
That's not right at all and it can't help with any possible cracking/slipping.

The 888 arm that I had was wider than the M900 I now have but the axle did reach the end of the arm, flush on both sides. I wasn't particularly happy with that but assumed that 888 didn't originally have the groove for the snap ring and that, maybe it was added when the later 'Monster arm' was made, perhaps as part of the 'fix' for the cracking issue?

Either way, especially given my misadventure I'd be looking to get one of the correct length, custom made if necessary.
I looked around for a titanium / SS one aftermarket but couldnt find one. Can you suggest anyone who could make this within a reasonable time frame?
Old 22-01-2024, 10:25 AM   #30
Dukedesmo

Quote:
I looked around for a titanium / SS one aftermarket but couldnt find one. Can you suggest anyone who could make this within a reasonable time frame?
I had a Titanium rear wheel spindle made for mine by ti64 Pete, up near Bradford but it was a good few years ago so I'm not sure if he's still machining?