UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4R starter problem

Old 03-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
FalconMTP

S4R starter problem

Any wise folk out there maybe throw some light on this evenings show stopper? Been out for an hour, nothing too harsh, slowing for some lights and the motor cut out. All the lights are on, good battery, hit the starter, contractor clicks and all the right noise but no cranking. Had a quick look over the general wiring round the battery/ starter/ contactor etc, nothing unconnected or loose. Up until the stoppage, all normal.
Cheers
Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
If you are 100% certain the battery is good then I would be looking at the starter relay (solenoid) but would also be looking at the condition of all the ground leads where they bond to the frame/engine. If the leads are anything like the earlier bikes then they are somewhat marginal to begin with.

There's a lot of these questions/problems around the forum at the moment and in particular a lot of them are S4's and S4R's for some reason.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
iainw

Bike: S4r
If your battery is good and the engine won't crank and you've tested the solenoid, all contacts are good then something's stopping the starter from spinning the motor. Are the belts still in one piece?
iainw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
You have two issues here:
1) the engine cut out unexpectedly, and
2) it now won't start

If it were *just* a starting problem, then I'd look at the motor and relay - but it's not.

Keeping an engine running requires three things: air, fuel, and a spark. Evidence suggests that, of the three possible things that could go wrong, the spark is most likely.

I suggest that either your battery is dead, or it's not charging. The reg/rectifier would be the first thing I'd check, followed by the alternator.

Will the bike start after being plugged into a charger overnight?

What is the battery voltage when the engine is idling?
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
I had a similar problem on my S4RS and it turned out to be broken wire where it goes round the headstock can be a real bugger to find.
From memory it was the thick black one.
Hope this helps
Old 15-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Yeah I should have taken a bit more notice of the part where you said it just cut out.

As Andy says, the RR can cause all kinds of poor running as well as either under or over charging the battery if it goes faulty.

Another thing to check if your bike has one is the main ignition relay (the yellow one under the seat on the air cooled bikes) as if that fails it can cause intermittent cutting out and starting.