UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Idle Speed

Old 28-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
Khyabusa1300

Idle Speed

Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me how to adjust the idle speed on a 2012 Monster 796 please?

Regards K
Old 28-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If, as I suspect, it's a similar setup to my 1100 Evo, then tickover is adjusted by way of the air bypass screws on the throttle bodies (counter-clockwise to increase idle speed).

They are the large, brass slotted screws on the side of each throttle body, probably with dabs of blue paint on them so you can see if they've been moved from stock. (They might be covered by a black plastic bung.)

Left side (vertical cylinder)

Right side (horizontal cylinder)

Note that, while you can adjust the idle, it's rare that it should be necessary. If the idle has changed significantly, it could be an indication of a problem elsewhere. Consider a clogged air filter, split hoses/air leak, valves out of adjustment, throttle bodies out of balance.

Before you tackle the idle, you should first reset the TPS (you may find this is enough to sort out the idle problem). On the Evo, you can reset the TPS yourself by starting the bike from cold and allowing the temperature to rise to three bars without touching the throttle and then turning it off.

After resetting the TPS, I would ride around for a couple of weeks and see if the idling improves (it takes a while for the ECU to relearn various parameters after a TPS reset).

If you still want to adjust the idle, warm the engine to three bars again and turn the adjusters 1/4 turn at a time until you're happy. Ideally, you should also check the CO levels after this.

As I mentioned earlier, if the idle has changed significantly, you should investigate the reason.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Khyabusa1300

Hello Luddite,

Thank you for your answer to my question. The bike was stolen/recovered. It was never started, but the toe rags did a lot of damage to it anyway.
As you suggest i will look at other potential issues before i start to adjust the idle position. My thought was it had been knocked / dropped that may have put things out of true.
The symptoms i am experiencing is it takes a while to start it and keep it running, but when it does it sits at around 4000 rpm. I think you suggestion of a potential air leak is probably the most likely so i will start there.
Once again thank you for your help

Regards Keith
Old 29-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That's a pain, Keith, sorry to hear that.

It certainly sounds like something has been damaged in the theft. If it was a sensor, you'd get an error on the dash and I'm assuming the engine light hasn't come on.

It's a bit of a faff to remove the tank, but if you do you'll be able to check all the likely components a lot easier.

Hope you track down the cause soon (and definitely in time for spring!).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea, fkn bar stewards! Are you sure its not something simple like the throttle cable run? They may have messed with it trying to get the to the ignition wires or steering lock?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote