UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » ST2 barrels

Old 16-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Rascall

Bike: M900ie
ST2 barrels

I have a 2001 M900ie, I'm going to remove the heads over the next few weeks to sort out the shimming and check the valves and guides (the closers were all at about 0.15 to 0.2 when I checked a few months ago), I have been offered a set of st2 944 barrels and pistons and might fit these at the same time, the ST2 is water cooled but I'm pretty sure these can be used with minor modification. My main concern regards the ecu/fueling with the increased capacity.

I suppose my questions are

1. What modifications do I need to do to the st2 barrels to make them suitable
2. Will I need to remap the ECU for the increased capacity (I have the DP ECU airbox and Termis)

thanks

Russell

Last edited by Rascall; 16-12-2016 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Rascall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The ST2 barrels will of course bolt straight on and it is possible BUT

The main differences are that the feed union on the Left side of the cylinder
you would need to add core plugs to seal the cylinder, and drill out the oil feeds so that oil can flow through the water jacket

You would also need to somehow clean all debri from inside the water jacket left by the water and additives it will need to be mega clean if you don't want bits of corrosion/rust/scale/dirt going straight to your oil pump and round the rest of your engine.

The ST2 pistons will increase your compression from 9.2 to 10.2:1 and as you already know capacity goes up 44cc so yes an ECU remap will be needed

Kamna used to convert barrels not sure if they still do but IMO easier to rebore & plate what you already have

Last edited by Kato; 16-12-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Rascall

The ST2 barrels that are available are brand new so they should be clean, however I dont really want the aggro of a remap so not sure if I will proceed with the swap.

Thanks for the info

Russell
Old 16-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Hi Russell

In Practical Sportsbikes July 2015, Alan Seeley fitted ST2 barrels to his 900SS, increasing capacity from 904 to 944 cc. His article explains what modifications were needed to convert the water jacket back to oil and to block off the coolant passages. There are pictures showing which coolant galleries have been plugged and where the oil galleries have been opened up.

If you'd like to see the article, PM me your email address and I'll send you a photo of the relevant pages.

If you want to learn more about what's involved, you could try contacting Alan Seeley direct for details: alan.seeley@bauermedia.co.uk.

Hope that helps.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Luddite

Hi, Russell.

Email with articles sent...
Old 17-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #6
Rascall

Got them thanks 👍
Old 17-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
Luddite

A "How To" video

I really like this guy's channel - typical down-to-earth Aussie!

For anyone considering an ST2 944 cc barrel conversion, this video takes you through all the mods involved.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U6jGJCGPkpQ
Old 18-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I bought an ST2 engine from a breaker and did consider using the cylinders for my 944 build but in the end had the originals bored/plated, I would think the worst part of using the ST2 parts would be ensuring the water/oil jackets were clean inside?

I bought the ST2 engine for the cams as they're good for short intake/split carb setup and couldn't find just the cams (except at silly prices) so I bought an engine, took the cams and have since sold most of the engine on for about what I paid for it - so free cams, actually probably made a small 'profit' as I also sold the original Monster pistons and cams.

I've still got some of the ST2 parts lying around - pistons, heads and one cylinder, if anyone needs anything...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote