UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Oil filter not sealing

Old 12-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Bike: M600
Oil filter not sealing

Hi Folks,

Since recommissioning my M600 I've done maybe 50-60 miles over the last couple of weeks. I noticed this morning that the oil filter is leaking. It's obviously been getting progressively worse, as there is some evidence of oil having dripped onto the exhaust, and the underside of the engine.

I took the filter off and the seal looks fine. I ran my finger around the sealing surface on the engine, and couldn't feel anything untoward. Put it back on and did it up tight (by hand). It felt like it was doing all the way up to a stop, but as if perhaps the seal wasn't compressing. I started the engine, and sure enough, it started dripping again.

1996 M600, genuine Ducati filter.

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this happenings?

Thanks in advance!
MotoNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Presumably, you rubbed some oil onto the rubber gasket before fitting the new filter?

Leaking OE filters are certainly not unheard of. I had a genuine Ducati filter start leaking on my Evo, (but after a couple-of-thousand miles not straightaway like yours). Tightening it failed to stop the leak so I replaced it with a K&N KN-153, which has a hexagon on the top to enable accurate tightening, (to 11Nm as per the manual). No leaks since and I'm about to fit my third K&N.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t.php?p=541955

Whether you go for K&N or OE, just make sure you get a genuine example as there are cheap counterfeits out there.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I've seen this problem before with genuine Ducati filters, where the rolled steel rim is too tall to let the seal compress properly. Or maybe the rubber is not thick enough? Either way there is a height deficit!

This is a historical fault and I would have though that all the faulty ones were long gone, but clearly some still keep surfacing!

I use K&N with no problems, barring the hexagon coming adrift occasionally when I try to remove the filter with a spanner.. No problem really as I just whack a screwdriver through it.
Old 16-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Me too, genuine Ducati filter leaked replaced with K&N one, end of problem! Bitza.
Old 22-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
Christy

Bike: M900
I had the same problem on my early 900. The rim of the filter bottoms out before the seal can do it's job. I use Champion filters as they have a thick sealing ring.
Old 22-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
I had one on my Evo yeeeeeears ago, I just use K&N or Hi-flo now
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil filter, oil filter seal