UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Misfire

Old 02-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #46
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Yes, we are interested.
And likewise, I hope you finally get it all sorted out after the long haul.
Thank you.
Had two WhatsApp messages today with photos of the back to bare metal process and of the prep of stopper and first coats of primer. Top coat (gloss black) is being applied tomorrow.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #47
motomartin11

Tank is now resprayed ,mopped and lacquered and awaits hardening off to be re-fitted to bike hopefully in the next week or so. All being well it will fire up so I can then book in for an MOT.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #48
motomartin11

Bike is now back on the road. Needed some new fuel pipes and a fuel pump to deal with a fuel starvation problem. MOT passed and first 50 miles ridden. Carbs still need a fettle .Bike pulls well but is still not easy to ride smoothly at low speed / low throttle openings.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:23 AM   #49
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Hope you get the final niggles sorted out my friend as you certainly have been on a long journey with the bike.

The issues with the stock carbs including age, wear and the cost of parts made me invest in my flat-slide carbs (plus I wanted some!) as whilst expensive everything is new and hopefully better than before. I've already decided that when I can afford to get the gf a Monster it will be fuel injected and if I get similar tank related issues I'll invest in an aluminium one
Old 03-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #50
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Hope you get the final niggles sorted out my friend as you certainly have been on a long journey with the bike.

The issues with the stock carbs including age, wear and the cost of parts made me invest in my flat-slide carbs (plus I wanted some!) as whilst expensive everything is new and hopefully better than before. I've already decided that when I can afford to get the gf a Monster it will be fuel injected and if I get similar tank related issues I'll invest in an aluminium one
Thanks.Just done another 15 miles before rain stopped play. Pulls like a train when on the open road but has always been a bit of a pig to ride in town which spoils things somewhat.I used to have an early FI Moto Guzzi which was very similar. I take your point about new vs old parts. Mine's running an after market air filter which I've been advised to change back to stock. In my time of ownership (3 years now I think) it's had 4 different silencers and is now running a stock pair of 620i cans. I'm sure the carbs will have been messed about with quite apart from the age related wear and tear. At least it's running well now apart from minor niggles.I wish I could run to a set of new carbs but I have too many toys and another bike which I'm just starting to rebuild/restore.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:56 AM   #51
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
I hear you - I'm spending some reasonable money on my 900 as I intend on keeping her for ever. I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for some dyno time on mine as with the 40mm carbs, ignitech ignition, mwr air filter, silmotor 45mm headers and 2/3 lengths cans its going to be all over the place

Like a fool I bought a ww2 jeep just as I was going to properly make a start on the Monster so I know the hazards of "toys"
Old 03-08-2023, 12:35 PM   #52
motomartin11

Yes sounds as though we are in the same boat. I had to spend a small fortune on my sports car in the spring-new sports muffler and front and rear brake refurb.

It will be worth it in the end though hopefully.