UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M1200s recurrent rear brake failure, just me? 3rd time at Moto Rapido.

Old 15-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Maz

M1200s recurrent rear brake failure, just me? 3rd time at Moto Rapido.

Hello Monster lovers. I need some help, please.

I bought a M1200s from new April 2017. In July 2017 it failed on a ride out. Moto Rápido said the manufacturer didn’t ‘bleed system prior to shipping and there was air in the system’ - odd but ok. Months later there was a recall on new ABS part - okkkeey.

Saturday I was on a slow riding course. First few exercises fine. Whilst doing u-turn no rear brake at all! I applied front brake and dropped the bike. Few scuffs and broken front brake leaver later. I am not happy!

Had anybody here had experience with rear brake failure on Monster 1200? Thanks.
Old 15-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I might be wrong Maz but I didn't think new bikes were shipped with any fluids and the dealer does all that as part of PDI.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Maz

Ha!! Good to know!!

Apparently, they road test it at factory before draining system prior to shipping from Italy.
Old 15-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
mickj

Bike: M1200s
No problem with my rear brake, it's quite good and strong. I've never heard of any manufacturer draining brake fluid after building the bike, I will check with my stealer next time I visit.
Old 15-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Its same brake as R and on issue on that. Your monster is 2017 S right so before recent update? If so your ABS is same as on R from what I gather.

Do you have any none standard bits?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Maz

Bike is all standard. Yes 2017 model. Today’s reason for rear brake failure... drum roll... overheated brakes as I was doing slow riding course and was applying rear brakes more often. *shocked*

I call it BS!!
Old 15-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Maz you may say drum roll but I've seen to many bikes with the free play adjusted out of the rear brake pedal which will generate heat in the fluid which causes the pads to bind and will if you're unlucky will seize.

It may or may not be your particular problem but I have seen it happen and it's not a good outcome.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

My R has suffered with a rear brake that seems to suddenly disappear, MR have bled it 3 times in 2 years. Problem is I never use it which doesn’t help, the system needs some strong use (abs triggering) for the abs unit to self bleed.
Old 15-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
BigOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Months later there was a recall on new ABS part - okkkeey.
If the recall you mention was the Brembo recall at the beginning of 2018, that was for a replacement piston in the front brake master cylinder.
Old 15-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
BobT

Niece has had rear brake problems on her new M821. Moto Rapido blame everything else.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
Flip

Bike: M900
I can't help thinking this kind of thing will become more and more common as modern, overly complicated bikes with all the associated compliance gadgetry and rider aides begin to show up various failures due to age etc. meaning ridiculous garage bills when they're out of warranty as 'Technicians' struggle to either, find the cause or continue with their excuses.

By the way- WTF is a 'Slow riding course'?

I thought motorcycles were for looking cool, riding fast and making lots of noise
Old 15-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #12
Maz

Slow riding is about slow manoeuvres like u-turns, figure of 8, slaloms. I can ride fast but I struggle with low speed riding.

I agree. New, modern bikes have more problems. I also have M696 and never let me down in 9 years and 27k miles.

Recall was on front brake pistons but it seems that I’m also there for one tho g and another. I don’t trust that bike. I don’t feel confident riding it. I’m actually considering selling both Monsters and never setting foot in Motor Rapido ever again.
Old 16-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I would ask to speak to Wilf at Moto Rapido.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #14
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Maz you are not the first person talking about such issues I know off. Friend has M821 and her dealer replaced back brake and warped discs twice.

Now I do not want to blame the rider but conditions under which your failure happened are identical to hers. She says it fails on her slow riding morning commutes.

Now I commute in London, not so much on R anymore but still so. I did it on all sorts off old monster, did 749 for 6 months daily, 18 months on Hypermotard 821, a bit on 1200R. My riding style means I use brakes to stop. I use engine to slow down neber brakes. I always did it like that as I remember my instructor (car at that time) in Poland whom always said brakes are for when you are going to stop. Planning and engine braking should be used for all else.

His reasoning is brakes need airflow if you go slow and use them there is none.
Think about it if brakes are the issue then same would happen on all other bikes using them for any dealer or manufacturer.

To support that speak to people whom ride in mountains, speak to truck drivers. They all do above or brakes will fail.

As to MotoRapido i neber had issues with them and find them best dealer out off all I used. Speak to Wilf and if you are unhappy vote with wallet.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #15
Mark Brown

Bike: M1200s
I've had exactly this problem on my X Diavel not on the monster. Bled 3 times problem back after a couple of months each time. Dealer advised Ducati have had issues with some rear master cylinders, and have just put a new on one mine under warranty. Ok at the moment, we shall see.

Mark
Mark Brown is offline   Reply With Quote