UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Monster 696 headlight swap

Old 18-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
fingerpuk

Monster 696 headlight swap

Hi all.

I'm rebuilding a Monster 696 (I'll maintain a build thread here) and want to put a more classic looking headlight on. The Motodemic light is coming in at £764 so that's out. I'm ok with halogen, would prefer LED, but mainly want a hassle free install.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
Old 18-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I don’t think that there are any hassle free ways of swapping the standard light for a classic round one. It is not quite as straightforward as it might seem. When I was planning to do it to my M1100evo I was going to have to fabricate a bracket to hold the instrument panel and fit some headlight mounting brackets to the forks. However I bow to the superior knowledge of others who have actually done the conversion if they say it was easy.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
This might be worth a punt...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/free...ceBeautifyAB=0
Old 18-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
Hi all.

I'm rebuilding a Monster 696 (I'll maintain a build thread here) and want to put a more classic looking headlight on. The Motodemic light is coming in at £764 so that's out. I'm ok with halogen, would prefer LED, but mainly want a hassle free install.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
You might want to check the updated MOT rules regarding light, non-OEM fitments can be a fail.
Old 18-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
One of our Flemish friends, Jan, did a conversion using a classic Monster light a few years back. This is what he used (note that, as Pedro mentioned, you couldn't now use an HID bulb like Jan, as it wouldn't pass the new MOT):

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=48727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan (Belgium) View Post
here's how I've done it:

Parts I used:
- headlight of the old monster model
- U-bracket of the old monster model
- home made dashboard mounts
- Speedy moto top yoke (http://www.ducati-motorcycle-parts.c...p_03-0205.aspx)
- carbon headlight brackets
- HID light

I used the original u-bracket which is used on the old monsters to hold the headlight and dash and modified it - cut off the bottom part so you keep only the u and welded a plate in front and behind on the bottom part of the u.

I changed my top yoke for a speedy moto top yoke. as you can see in the link this has 2 points on the front side normally used to mount the dashboard of the original monster. I drilled out these mounting points and used them as a top fixing point for the u-bracket and as a mounting point for the home made dashboard mounts. On the bottom yoke there are 2 mounting points normally used to mount the headlight connector, these I used as bottom mounting points for the u-bracket.

You need to change the electrical connector of the old headlight since the new headlight uses a different type. Both use 3 wires, so it is just a matter of switching connectors. Since I was working on the headlight, installing the HID was just the next step. It has the same H4 bulb form so this is just a straight swap. The rectifier of the HID is mounted on the bottom of the dashboard mount, nicely out of view.

I hope this makes some sence, if not I'll be at the weekender in may where you can have a look.

Best regards,
Jan
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Luddite

Rick, (Cobra88), just used the Motodemic mounting kit to fit an alternative round headlight, which would be a more cost-effective opton. You could PM him to see what exactly was involved.

Old 18-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
fingerpuk

That's a nice idea.

I'm going to go with the Motodemic set up and eat the extra cost. Sticking with halogen instead of LED to keep the classic look. Never ride at night so don't care
Old 18-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
At £764 for a headlight when you never ride at night, its tempting to suggest removing the whole thing and getting a daytime only mot.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
That's a nice idea.

I'm going to go with the Motodemic set up and eat the extra cost. Sticking with halogen instead of LED to keep the classic look. Never ride at night so don't care
How much!!!!
You've got too much money (maybe not so much now!)
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The info is

New failures

There are new failures for:

light source and lamp not compatible
daytime running lamps
front fog lamps
reversing lamps

So say having the wrong light spource in a standard light fitting could be a fail if it doesn't work. For example a HID that gives a stuffed beam pattern as the reflector is the wring shape and the lens is designed for a light source at a different height above the reflector.
A whole replacement unit wouldn't fail this as long as its was designed for purpose and has the relevant E and DOT stamps.
Old 18-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
At £764 for a headlight when you never ride at night, its tempting to suggest removing the whole thing and getting a daytime only mot.
You have to bare in mind that technically there is no such thing as a 'Daytime only MoT' - I believe it is actually an MoT with advisories regarding the vehicles' use during 'reduced light' conditions.

Which depending on how the plod is feeling at the time, how much the rider was taking the P15S or indeed the 'actual' road conditions/time of day etc. means there are a lot of variables and things open to interpretation as to whether or not an offence has been committed.
Old 15-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
fingerpuk

The Motodemic light arrived today. I did a partial fitment keeping it loose as the indicators haven't been ordered (not sure what to go for). Took 10 minutes to fit.

Old 15-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #13
Luddite

That's a really nice looking unit - I much prefer it to the LED versions.

As for the indicators, if you like the look of the Ducati Performance ones but not the price, have a look at Desmoworld's offerings from Germany. They do some copies that look identical but for a fraction of the price.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55912

The updated links are here:

https://www.desmoworld.com/blinker-6936-967

https://www.desmoworld.com/desmoworl...nkl.-wider-970

I've had a number of Desmoworld items - top quality and great service.
Old 16-10-2018, 03:52 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have these Ducati Performance/De Pretto Moto ones for sale if any good for you? They do have 10mm threads though so maybe won't fit the Motodemic but were originally for the 696/1100 bikes.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=52970

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 04:32 AM   #15
Moco1961

Nice !

That is a nice unit, well made and at ten minutes to fit must be well thought out, a great looking upgrade, now where did I put that letter to Santa....