UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M750 Rear suspension adjustment problem :/

Old 23-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
EkO

M750 Rear suspension adjustment problem :/

Trying to raise the rear suspension on my 1997 M750 as the previous owner must've been a shorty. Problem is, I'm trying to undo the bolts that go through the rod end bearings on the bottom of the hoop are seized big time :/
Anyone else have this problem? And I'm assuming the hex bolthole on the back is just for tightening the nut on as I've tried turned that aswell and it was just wanting to snap my allen key!!
Old 23-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Do you mean the rose joints? Isn't one of them a left-hand thread? Have a look for a score mark on one of the nuts, which would indicate a reverse thread.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkO View Post
Trying to raise the rear suspension on my 1997 M750 as the previous owner must've been a shorty. Problem is, I'm trying to undo the bolts that go through the rod end bearings on the bottom of the hoop are seized big time :/
Anyone else have this problem? And I'm assuming the hex bolthole on the back is just for tightening the nut on as I've tried turned that aswell and it was just wanting to snap my allen key!!
They are shouldered bolts with a skinny head.
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/images/p.../77910021b.jpg

If you can get the nut loose they should tap out. Try and get some oil into them.

You can get good replacement rose joints from McGill motorsports, but take care not to lose the sleeve between the bolt and the rose joint. They are expensive for what they are.
Old 23-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
EkO

Thanks for getting back to me, at least I know what I'm up against now!
Bigger hammer required.
Old 24-06-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A lot of people fit spacers to the hoop on the early bikes to raise the rear a fair amount and this should improve handling too. Mine is the later tie rod type so I just fitted an aftermarket one for a 999 which does the same thing.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Flip

It might not have been that the previous owner was a shorty- they come as standard with the rod ends wound almost all the way into the hoop.

I definitely second McGill Motorsports for supplying the Rose Joints (Rod Ends) though and these are what you need:

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/m10-...ce-rod-end-93/

Louigi Moto can supply the spacers if you prefer to have a predetermined ride height but you will need to cut some off the thread of the Rod Ends if you want to use them.
It looks like you will have to email or call Rich there too as they don't seem to have any listed at the moment.

http://louigimoto.com/index.html
Tel - +44 (0)1761 453366

If you just set the height through the rod ends as I did it'll look something like this when it's done:

Last edited by Flip; 24-06-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
EkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
It might not have been that the previous owner was a shorty-
It even had a lowered seat on it, which I gave away to someone that needed a seat.
Thanks for the info on the joints, just need to get that seized bolt out now!!
Old 25-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkO View Post
It even had a lowered seat on it, which I gave away to someone that needed a seat.
Thanks for the info on the joints, just need to get that seized bolt out now!!
Good luck.

Note the bit about the skinny head if you mueller them getting them out and need replacements as there's not a lot of spare clearance to the head. New bolts were available from Ducati (MotoRapido) last year at a price: reassuringly expensive.
Old 25-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Nasher

The same bolts were really tight on my M900, and it didn't help that the two sides were adjusted differently and were fighting against each other trying to twist the swingarm!

Loosen the nuts off and give them a whack with a hammer whilst the nuts are still on to get them moving.
It protects the threads on the special(read Expensive) bolts, and the nuts can be easily changed for some nice shinny stainless Steel Nylocs with separate washers.

Nasher.
Old 25-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
EkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
The same bolts were really tight on my M900, and it didn't help that the two sides were adjusted differently and were fighting against each other trying to twist the swingarm!

Loosen the nuts off and give them a whack with a hammer whilst the nuts are still on to get them moving.
It protects the threads on the special(read Expensive) bolts, and the nuts can be easily changed for some nice shinny stainless Steel Nylocs with separate washers.

Nasher.
Had an air chisel on the buggers today, no movement. Looks like I'm going to have to strip the back end down and grind/cut/burn them out. Yay.

On the bright side, I know a man that makes some stonking paint to redo it with, me!
Old 25-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Flip

Before you get anymore Medieval on them- can we just check that they are not being loaded by your method of lifting the bike or vice versa by the fact the rear suspension is fully extended if you've suspended the bike already?

There will obviously be a 'sweet spot' which will give you the maximum chance of them breaking free.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #12
Billbo

So, to raise the ride height I just wind the nut in the picture upwards, or is there more to it than that?
Old 28-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo View Post
So, to raise the ride height I just wind the nut in the picture upwards, or is there more to it than that?
Not quite - that's actually the locknut.

What you need to do is:

1) Raise the back of the bike so there's no weight on the suspension. This is where a centre stand would come in handy! I use two stepladders and a pole.

2) Support the rear wheel/swingarm so it's not pulling down on the hoop. Undo the nuts (no. 11) and remove the bolts (no. 9).

3) Loosen the locknuts, then wind down the rosejoints the desired amount, tighten the locknuts and reassemble.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, note that one of the locknuts may have a left hand thread - look for a score mark on the nut.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Dukedesmo

Rose joints on the hoop are both RH thread, if the nuts are seized I'd recommend replacing the rose joints with superior quality units from McGill motor sports (likely cheaper than Ducati parts and defintely better quality if you get the premium versions) - but make sure you keep the bushes inside the ends as 10mm threaded rose joints have a 10mm hole in the end but Ducati use 8mm bolts so you need the bush to reduce the size.

You maybe able to cut the nuts off and then remove the rose joint with no damage to the hoop?

As mentioned above Louigimoto sell 25mm extenders for the rose joints. If they don't have them anymore and you're stuck, I've got a set that have had little use and also a spare hoop in VGC, PM if interested.

Whatever you do use plenty of anti-seize when refitting.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
Billbo

Thanks, looks like a winter task as the risk of seizures seems high! Although with its thorough rebuild, may not be the case.