UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » A good ride ruined

Old 23-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #16
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
I think 90%+ of all monster I've seen on the road have the tail chop. Each to their own, but for me its a must do mod. A hige improvement on the standard look.
90%+? That’s a lot more than I’ve seen; could be a local thing?
Old 24-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #17
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
90%+? That’s a lot more than I’ve seen; could be a local thing?
Hi Darkness,
Yeah it might be a local thing. Out of curiosity I did a quick pole on the Monsters listed on eBay. There were more than I could be bothered to count! Still, based on a low down number plate / clearly visible T Tray, or high plate / no T Tray the numbers were 70% have had a chop and sport a streamlined rear!

Ah lazy Sunday morning, ideal for wasting time on pointless tinterweb research. LOL.
Old 24-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
Darkness

Quote:
Ah lazy Sunday morning, ideal for wasting time on pointless tinterweb research. LOL.
Isn’t that what Sunday mornings are for, until the rest of the family wake up?

One possibility your eBuy trawl throws up is that a lot of people with “spoilt” Monsters want to sell them on rather than keeping them?

Eventually they may all become chopped as I’ve heard of people cutting them, but very few reversing the process.
Old 24-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #19
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Isn’t that what Sunday mornings are for, until the rest of the family wake up?

One possibility your eBuy trawl throws up is that a lot of people with “spoilt” Monsters want to sell them on rather than keeping them?

Eventually they may all become chopped as I’ve heard of people cutting them, but very few reversing the process.
The "spoilt" Monsters? I had always thought they were the best loved Monsters. The owners had taken time and effort to improve them, like the parents who resolve their childs buck teeth?

Theres also the performance gains from the reduced weight and aero improvement. Surely makes the chop essential?

Still I guess the unspoilt ones are convienient when you're having a picnic and you need a table. Or perhaps somewhere to iron your shirts...

Last edited by Jez900ie; 24-06-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
Darkness

Quote:
The "spoilt" Monsters? I had always thought they were the best loved Monsters. The owners had taken time and effort to improve them, like the parents who resolve their childs buck teeth?
Spoilt brats are often much loved, though not necessarily in the best long term interests of the child/bratbike!
Old 24-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Spoilt brats are often much loved, though not necessarily in the best long term interests of the child/bratbike!
You are so right! But its the exception that proves the rule.
imgur

Is it true that the early edition Monster came with their own crockery?

TBH I always thought the term "Tea Tray" was wrong.

Old 24-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
Darkness

Old 25-06-2018, 01:05 AM   #23
Flip

Quote:
Is it true that the early edition Monster came with their own crockery?

TBH I always thought the term "Tea Tray" was wrong.
C'mon you'd be a 'mug' to chop a perfectly useful Monster tail0 it's the perfect thing for keeping a cuppa out of the way while you're working on the bike in the sunshine

Old 25-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #24
Nasher

I much prefer the look without the teatray, but I think I'd be reluctant to cut an unmolested frame now.

That reminds me, who was going to send me a cut off bit of frame so I could make a couple up to replace previously removed ones?

Nasher
Old 25-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #25
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I much prefer the look without the teatray, but I think I'd be reluctant to cut an unmolested frame now.

That reminds me, who was going to send me a cut off bit of frame so I could make a couple up to replace previously removed ones?

Nasher
Really? To me the most important feature of my bike is to do all the things I like, including my preferences. So engine mods (done), suspension upgrades (coming), cosmetic revamp (almost finished).

Personally -and I may very well be wrong- these bikes are not worth huge money. They have been made in large numbers and are a well liked bike, but only have a hardcore niche group that attach value to them. Looking at eBay listed bikes and what they sell for, the value of original early 90's bikes in good condition is still flat. Of course a virtually unridden, pristine bike is different, but how many of us have one of those?

If my bike is still in one piece in fifty years it might be be worth more than I could afford. It also might be worthless as the "electronic box" could have failed making the bike unusable. Besides I will be dead and it won't matter to me anymore!

Ducati investment? I'd be looking at a 916. Ducati life? An air cooled Monster, ridden, customised, modified - ideally a 900...
Old 25-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
Nasher

Mmm, I reckon the value of all Carbie Monsters has risen in the last few years, especially the 900s.
The more sympathetically modded ones appear to be worth more.

It's guys like me that had young families etc in the 90's and couldn't afford one that are buying them.
The early ie won't be far behind, as buyers appreciate the lack of maintenance of the injection with the classic looks.

My previous preference was for classic Z1000's, and I dread to think of what I lost on them by cutting them up.

I'm playing a different game with my M900 and 900SS, in that all mods I'm doing are reversible or the standard bits are being stored.
I do actually have another M900 frame in storage which has also been chopped, and which is partly why I'm looking at developing a repair section.

Nasher
Old 25-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #27
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Mmm, I reckon the value of all Carbie Monsters has risen in the last few years, especially the 900s.
The more sympathetically modded ones appear to be worth more.

It's guys like me that had young families etc in the 90's and couldn't afford one that are buying them.
The early ie won't be far behind, as buyers appreciate the lack of maintenance of the injection with the classic looks.

My previous preference was for classic Z1000's, and I dread to think of what I lost on them by cutting them up.

I'm playing a different game with my M900 and 900SS, in that all mods I'm doing are reversible or the standard bits are being stored.
I do actually have another M900 frame in storage which has also been chopped, and which is partly why I'm looking at developing a repair section.

Nasher
I have all the original parts for mine too, but thats because I might get better money for the upgraded parts selling them separately should I decide to sell the bike!

From what I see frequently on eBay, Monster 900 variants. 93 to 02 fetch £1800 to £2800 with the odd exception and they are cheaper in winter. Imagine prices increase £500 over the next five years (approx 20%). I would think for a £100 gain a year for not making the mods was a poor decison compared to working an extra day instead?

What do you think they are worth?
Old 26-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #28
BeePee

Bike: S2r
Talking

Quote:
Of course a virtually unridden, pristine bike is different, but how many of us have one of those?
Me, I bought that S2r off ebay a week ago, been looking for one for ages and hoped I could find a 1000cc, all of those that I found had "issues" for me.
This one is mint and has now got 15miles on it, 6 more than it had when it left the dealers in November 2005. The bike went through an extensive recommission last year at Ducati in Bristol with all paperwork to prove.
I'm now waiting on the V5 for it to use while I am on holiday. It can go in my swb Sprinter easily while we pull our caravan to wherever we like

Old 26-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #29
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Me, I bought that S2r off ebay a week ago, been looking for one for ages and hoped I could find a 1000cc, all of those that I found had "issues" for me.
This one is mint and has now got 15miles on it, 6 more than it had when it left the dealers in November 2005. The bike went through an extensive recommission last year at Ducati in Bristol with all paperwork to prove.
I'm now waiting on the V5 for it to use while I am on holiday. It can go in my swb Sprinter easily while we pull our caravan to wherever we like

Yes I saw your stunning bike in another thread. I'd consider yours one of the "exceptions" I mentioned.
Old 26-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #30
Darkness

Quote:
What do you think they are worth?
Depends whether I’m buying or selling.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: