UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M600 Resto & Colour Change

Old 29-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Max724

M600 Resto & Colour Change

Well, it started with a post on my engine knocking, now its turned into a full restoration...this is getting expensive

Old 30-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
That's nice: a bit drastic for an oil change, but you've neatly sidestepped the problem of getting a match for the bronze paint.
You need to have a word with your powder coated though as they appear to have lost your footrest hangers?
Ądn pǝʞɔnɟ I 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI. ???
Old 30-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Didn't fancy upgrading to an alloy swing arm?

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Max724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
That's nice: a bit drastic for an oil change, but you've neatly sidestepped the problem of getting a match for the bronze paint.
You need to have a word with your powder coated though as they appear to have lost your footrest hangers?
Ądn pǝʞɔnɟ I 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI. ???
Haha well spotted, they're still wrapped up but have gone satin black like the swinger. Didn't want to change it, just coated it black lol.
Old 30-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Looks like the powdercoater has coated the disc mount faces on the front wheel.
You may need to attend to that.
I only have limited advice to offer there, but I was once told that acetone will soften powdercoat enough to scrape it away .. but there may be better methods to remove it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Major changes! What colour will the tank be?
Old 30-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Looks like the powdercoater has coated the disc mount faces on the front wheel.
You may need to attend to that.
I only have limited advice to offer there, but I was once told that acetone will soften powdercoat enough to scrape it away .. but there may be better methods to remove it.
May not matter if it's one side only, unless you plan on fitting double disks?
Old 31-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Max724

Quote:
May not matter if it's one side only, unless you plan on fitting double disks?
Yes mate keeping it with a single disc set up at the moment. I might convert it to twin in the future.

It's a dark edition, so I'm keeping the tank, mudguard and side panels the standard kind of satin black colour, and tried to match the hangers and swingarm to them.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Max724

It's been a while, and due to a massive change in circumstances, I had to sell my beloved Monster last year...

However, I received a message last week saying that the person I sold it to, is looking to sell it on as he has too many projects and would I like first refusal.....ER....YES PLEASE!!!

So I have her back, still in the rebuild phase but with the engine fitted. Carbs are peeing fuel out but that's minor. Currently painting all the crappy bits satin black to go with the yellow & black theme.

Slowly slowly...but I'll get her back on the road!!!

Last edited by Max724; 06-08-2018 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Links didn’t work.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Good to have you back with your Monster Max.

Looking good in Yellow and Black.. A very striking colour scheme. Hellcat from Ipswich has one in those colours, also a 600 I think, but it might be her M400?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Flip

Quote:
I agree, nicely dodged but have you done it the correct Ducati yellow or just a close match I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Good to have you back with your Monster Max.

Looking good in Yellow and Black.. A very striking colour scheme. Hellcat from Ipswich has one in those colours, also a 600 I think, but it might be her M400?
Yeah I think the coloured frame Darks look good - they did them with a red frame too and there's been a few of each version in the club over the years but all moved on now.

Looking good by the way- keep the photos coming!!

Last edited by Flip; 06-08-2018 at 08:42 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #12
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Nice looking project, mine was originally an M600 dark with a red frame. Three engines later and it looks like this:

https://flic.kr/p/21yLDoV

Yorkie
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
Max724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I agree, nicely dodged but have you done it the correct Ducati yellow or just a close match I wonder?
It was done by a company called JPM Powder Coatings in Norwich (They're on FB too - great bloke who works there). I wasn't really interested in matching it to Ducati yellow, just the brighter, the better without going neon. I love the Fiat Colour Broom Yellow 258A and it reminds me of that.

I've made this bike my own, hacked the back end for a tail tidy, removed the horrid green engine paint and cam belt panels and they are now satin black. My only failure was not to paint the centre of the front disc and both calipers, as they are that sickly bronze colour still. But hey...with the twin disc conversion left to do, I'm sure I can wangle something.

Thanks for the love guys! I'm busy on it and will get photos on it as I get it sorted.

P.S. If anyone knows the location of a 675 big bore kit, please let me know
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #14
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max724 View Post
It was done by a company called JPM Powder Coatings in Norwich (They're on FB too - great bloke who works there). I wasn't really interested in matching it to Ducati yellow, just the brighter, the better without going neon. I love the Fiat Colour Broom Yellow 258A and it reminds me of that.

I've made this bike my own, hacked the back end for a tail tidy, removed the horrid green engine paint and cam belt panels and they are now satin black. My only failure was not to paint the centre of the front disc and both calipers, as they are that sickly bronze colour still. But hey...with the twin disc conversion left to do, I'm sure I can wangle something.

Thanks for the love guys! I'm busy on it and will get photos on it as I get it sorted.

P.S. If anyone knows the location of a 675 big bore kit, please let me know
It's all good and the black and yellow make a great contrast- while you're sorting the twin discs and bog bore (when/if you get hold of one) you can get the forks anodised black to match it all in
Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #15
Max724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
It's all good and the black and yellow make a great contrast- while you're sorting the twin discs and bog bore (when/if you get hold of one) you can get the forks anodised black to match it all in
That has crossed my mind, I'll have a mooch about for cost (and not tell the missus...)