UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Aluminium fuel tanks

Old 03-08-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Aluminium fuel tanks

There was mention of aluminium tanks in another thread but didn't want to hijack the thread so here's a new one!!

The question is,does anyone know a reputable source of someone who makes these tanks?I have a link to a company in Japan who make them for the princely sum of £2K.I have also found companies who will make an aluminium tank for classic bikes.

We have had threads on here discussing the problems of ethanol in modern fuels causing the earlier tanks to expand (my bike has suffered exactly this problem) so would be interested to know if anyone has actually taken the plunge and bought a replacement aluminium tank.

Thankyou for any replies

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:00 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ighlight=alloy
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:10 AM   #3
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
There was a used one on ebay in Japan recently for about £750 which seemed very reasonable.

The tank in the thread above looks amazing and is definitely a worthy investment if you are thinking of keeping the bike for a long time.

I wonder if the tank chap can replicate the exposed rear cylinder like the RoadRacing ones did....
Old 04-08-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Excellent,thanks Rob

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
adie851

Bike: S4r
I l know Mikes got his tank and its being painted...he's very pleased with it..I'll update when I've seen it...looks quality...
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:31 AM   #6
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Fortunately I’m not affected by this plastic tank issue, but I’ve been reading some interesting comments mainly from US owners and the various “class actions” that were raised against the manufacturer. I would have thought that by now the Chinese or Indian aftermarket manufacturers would have spotted a market for a replacement in steel…I’ve seen video’s recently of back street manufacturers in India mass producing tanks….perhaps they could provide a cost effective answer to this problem?
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #7
adie851

I think if the Chinese realise there's a market for early monster tanks,they'll be on it . I've bought a Norton commando steel tank from the far east....looks quite good quality.... I'll let you know how I get on with it when I get it painted...hopefully over the winter...fingers crossed...
Old 05-08-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Indian tanks are a mixed bag and a bit of a lottery.
I had a new one for my Commando which fitted perfectly and didn't leak which was lucky compared to others I knew of.
But, the inside was primed with petrol soluble grey paint, underneath which was rust.
I did get it all out and killed the rust, but not what you expect from a brand new tank!

Adie, test it for leaks before you paint it.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 05-08-2023 at 10:01 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #9
adie851

Thanks Gary, I'll check it out before I get it painted..its in a warm dry place so no risk of rust..hopefully.....