UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Cleaning up the beltside of the motor

Old 26-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #31
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnagorrach View Post
Very neat, how about fitting a thermostat. An article written by David Vizard ( engine tuneing Guru of the Seventies )remarked that oil coolers without thermostic control did more harm than good . I believe he meant that the oil mostly didn't get up to temperature to drive out condensation .
It's certainly been the case here in the north.
I agree, but I have no idea if it can be done.

The idea is worthy of a whole new thread.
Old 26-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #32
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I've often (well, once or twice) pondered the benefits or otherwise of an oil cooler if the bike is used for short trips, commutes etc,
And the situation would be even worse in the winter.
But my monster is very seldom started for less than a 20 mile run, and even when it is, its always in the summer.
So I don't worry unduly about the oil not getting fully heated, quickly enough.
But I would if I did short runs in cold weather.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #33
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Job done....Almost.

No point in showing a picture of the other side, as it's so hard to see the new cable from any angle. (Go back to post #26 for before pics and nearside views.)

I suddenly couldn't wait any longer for the cable I had ordered, and went down the Auto-electical shop. I bought a meter of best quality 16mm multi strand starter cable and 4 16 x 6mm terminals for way less than a tenner...In fact he gave me the end of a reel, which was much more than a meter...so enough to make another cable with the spare terminals in case of cock ups.

Two hours after setting off for the shop, I had the cable made and fitted.....Just need to pop it off again on Tuesday when the heat shrink comes...Doh! forgot to get some at the shop.

It aint hard ...You should go out and just do it.... The cable is 700mm long and goes all the way round the pot to the starter...Simples.

.........And next winter I will be mostly trying to hide the harness.!!..Yuk.!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 04-09-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #34
squarehead

Looks good Mr Gazza, I like the tidy look. Can you post a pic. of the other side, I wasn't to keen on the tie wraps, have you sorted a wire guide? The neatness really enhances the simple lines of the aircooled motors

I was thinking of getting Fren Tubo Hyper lines with red ends (I have no taste) as they're 20% off at the moment.

Out of interest, did you order the starter cables from on here?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #35
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks Squarehead, I'm chuffed with the new look myself.

I can't believe how the cable dissappears...There's really no point in me trying to photograph it, you just can't see it.

The cable is held to the oil lines at the moment, by a rubber strap. The lines and cable form a fairly rigid shape without a guide...Which I have not sorted yet.
It makes sense to make some sort of equivilent to the original guide, as the 100mph blast on runway tests might well push the lines and cable against the engine...I need to aquire some SS wire and practice my bending. I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

Good tip with the Fren Tubo lines....Fill yer boots..
Old 04-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #36
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Wouldn't you just know it....The new cable arrived this morning...Should've given it another day....Doh!....
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #37
DrD

Apparently there is also a cover for the wire/hose bundle on the left side too: http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/044DM/Carbon/044DM.html
Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #38
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Apparently there is also a cover for the wire/hose bundle on the left side too: http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/044DM/Carbon/044DM.html
I had one of them on my 1100s. Best of both worlds but the stainless hides the carbon. Actually adds weight. Before I changed it I carbon vinyl covered the plastic one as fitted standard.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #39
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Wouldn't you just know it....The new cable arrived this morning...Should've given it another day....Doh!....
If its the same as the one I need for S4, I'll take it off your hands

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #40
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If its the same as the one I need for S4, I'll take it off your hands
Dirty dived in and bagged it Darren..

700mm length works on my 900. Dirty is currently checking that works on a 600.

Unless the solenoid is in a completly different place, I imagine 700mm will work on an S4 too.

Easiest way to measure is to run a piece of string along your chosen route, from pole to pole, allowing for the stiffer nature of the cable compared to string.

JMH900sie can make them up to any length to a very high standard for a reasonable fee.
Just make sure you are aware of his delivery times, as he makes them to order in his spare time.

Just in case you are browsing this and thought about contacting JMH900sie for some starter cables.. Don't.
He is no longer a member here, no longer a Monster owner and does not make the cables any more. He turned out to be a PITA.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 09-10-2017 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Warning about dealing with JMH900sie added
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #41
Drumnagorrach

The whole side is very tidy,like the clutch cover and engine case colour too,good job.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #42
JMH900sie

Just to make people aware, I can make any kit with the 'stealth wire' as standard now. Pricing will be slightly different but not by much. I do runs on Wednesdays and Fridays, and if I'm busy I'll do them any other day I get time

If you have an my questions pm me

Sorry for the hijack

Joe @ JMH
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #43
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
not sure it'll fit earlier bikes, it' meant for 696/796/1100 onwards, the cases are a little different, double check before shelling out for one
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #44
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
not sure it'll fit earlier bikes, it' meant for 696/796/1100 onwards, the cases are a little different, double check before shelling out for one
Thanks - I thought there might be something different
- can anyone confirm?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #45
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Thanks - I thought there might be something different
- can anyone confirm?
Pm Mart 64 as he know has the bike as well as the s2r1000 so he maybe able to try it on there for you as I think just 2-3 allen bolts.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote