UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Cleaning up the beltside of the motor

Old 29-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well the belt side looks great.
And the improved access to the belts is a huge benefit, and just so sensible.
However, you don't get owt for nowt ....what does the other side look like ?

note.. Anyone saying that the belt side needs to look clean but the other side doesn't matter because the sidestand leans it away from view, will be suitably chastised and marked down as a poser.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #17
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I've tried to fix the links though they may be slightly different pics, the old ones were moved when I left the ducatiforum site due to their twattishness over ads and adblockers.

The photobucket thing was only a guess BTW, I dont know what happened to my iPhone last night, I just got a pop up that wouldn't go away and only had the option of confirming whether I was the owner of this apple device- and there was no way I was going to do that and it also blocked access to safari functions to sweep away the page or go back so deleting the history and cookies from settings was my only option.
Annoying but at least I managed it without having enabled some spammy crap (I think)

I run adblocker on this PC, it's the only way you can use sites like photobucket but my iPhone doesn't have this option.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #18
utopia
No turn left unstoned

I've just contacted Moto-Rapido and they tell me that the oil line in question costs as near as dammit £100 after the 10% UKMOC discount has been applied.
As always, they were extremely helpful.
They also confirmed that all the aircooled Hypers use the same oil delivery line.

I'll probably do the swap next time I change the belts.
The bike's a keeper so its worth the relatively high price.
But if anyone has a used Hyper oil delivery line hanging about, I'd be interested.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
When I bought my lines they were a tad cheaper than that, however, you could get a set made up for you but when I did mine this was about the same price as a single line from Ducati and it didn't matter to me which option to go for, ...other than the fact I really loathe the red/blue fittings that seem standard on all of the aftermarket companies.
The clincher for me was that the Ducati OE line looks like it was meant to be like that in the first place.

You can also fit the Hyper line in situ if your careful, no need to empty any oil from anywhere, just a few drips from the hose itself.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
MMm... Been looking at secondhand Hyper lines on ebay, and pestering breakers.

Prices are much more than I can justify for a little cosmetic change with very little tangible benifit...That said, the line going across the belt cover is really getting on my nerves, now that I know how to fix it.

Monster oil lines are a good bit cheaper than Hyper ones ( don't know why that should be?)

I am working on the idea of using a second, long Monster line, and coupling it to a short extension ( say a line from an SS)...Trouble is I don't know if there is a fitting that will couple two like ends together?

Going to have a chat with my pal who works at Ben Burgess, to see if there is anything in the hydraulics bin that would work.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #21
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I used:
4x AN -6 to M14x1.5 adaptors (two on the engine, two on the cooler)
4x AN -6 STRAIGHT Swivel Seal Hose Fitting (might want angled for this mod.)
and 1m of AN -6 (8mm) 5/16" Braided Fuel Hose 1 m (you might want a bit more than 1m for this mod.)
from the excellent Torques UK

Last edited by slob; 25-08-2015 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: thread corrected
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you for the spot on info Rob...

That gives me plenty to get my teeth into.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #23
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
My M900 has a 1098RS oil cooler which uses push in fittings on the cooler end and so requires specific hoses, however the RS lines were too long so I took them to a local Pirtek who cut 30mm off and re-swaged the existing fittings back on (they didn't have new ones of the correct type) to the shortened line for beer money.

If you can get hold of some longer hoses from something like an MTS1000 (has very long hoses as the cooler fits on the bottom yoke) this might be an easy option?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks DukeDesmo.

Knowing that opens my options even further...I bet Ben Burgess has the swaging gear.
Old 25-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #25
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Well I found some Hypermotard oil lines in Austria of all places. At just over fifty quid posted, I thought I would be a long time beating that so I went for it.

As Dave G said, all the Monster fittings are the same, so I was confident. However.....

Turns out that there are two types of fitting. The (early) AN6 type that Slob mentions and also the (late) spigot type with two tiny O-rings.
My new lines are spigot and O-ring, but my 2000 bike is AN6.
My only hope is that I can change the nipples if the threads in the engine and oil cooler are all the same.

An informative chat with Luke at Moto Rapido (and he thought it was a continuation of your conversation on this subject Jeff...) Revealed that the threads are all the same at M14 x 1.5 (Not 1.25 Rob) and so I could convert to the later nipples.

The change over to spigot and O-ring, was around 2001 apparently, so if you are planning this mod check your nipples first.
Nipples are part No.81510221A .
You will also need 2 X 78710111A and 2 x 42020064A Crush washers. Large to the oil cooler and small to the engine.

The lower parts are the earlier AN6 type. I thought the nipples were plastic, but appear to be plastic coated alloy and are identified by the conical end. The lines have nuts which are trapped at the end and cannot come back past the ring on the line.

Upper Later ones have O-rings visible and the nuts can run back down the line freely...Nipples are flat topped.
Old 25-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Some before and after pics....

As you see Jeff, not much change to the nearside...I still need to work on the clipping here as the two pipes do not go through the original guide. So it is removed for now...All seems okay though.

Very pleased with the clean look of the timing side. I will have a look at the clipping and guides when the new long starter cable arrives.....Will update when that happens.

All in all a very quick and easy job...Worst part is working on the side stand as it tips the oil away from the nipples, so you only lose the oil that's in the lines....Don't forget to top up after..

Thanks for all the info guys..
Old 26-08-2015, 12:52 AM   #27
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
An informative chat with Luke at Moto Rapido (and he thought it was a continuation of your conversation on this subject Jeff...)
That Luke is seriously on the ball.
And very pleasant too.

This mod is a no brainer and I will be following your lead in the very near future.
£50 does sound like a hard to beat price. I've seen nothing that cheap.
The fittings look clean in your pics ...not stainless perchance ? I'm wondering whether stainless fittings would be worth going for, while I'm at it.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Worth some sort of sticky perhaps ?
Old 26-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #28
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I'm going to check my nipples immediately

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I'm going to check my nipples immediately
Make sure you check all four...

Yes I can't speak highly enough of Luke, and Craig too for that matter.
He went to a lot of trouble to cross reference several models across the years, to confirm that they were all the same threads for the nipples. Naturally I bought the new nipples from Moto Rapido.

There are one or two cheap(ish) pairs of lines in the US but the postage and then the import duty makes it a nonsense...Best bet is to find a breaker with a, new in, Hypermotard and be quick to bag the lines....If you have a pre-2001 (AN-6) bike then it would make sense to grab their nipples at the same time.!....Also make sure that all the little O-rings are there, as I understand these can be hard to find.

The fittings are not Stainless, just 8 years younger than my originals...I gave them a very gentle massage with some WD-40 and a scourer to bring them up like new.

I think it is worth replacing both lines, especially if the originals are tatty like mine or still the AN-6 type...Otherwise it's just going to be a basted set up.

There also seems to be at least two types of Hyper' lines available. One uses elbows mid way like the Monster line, and another has braided hoses for the whole length. The latter seems to be less common? Some have black sleeving to various degrees along the lower reaches.....Happy hunting.

It might still be more cost effective to go the Torques-UK route if you have a pre 2001 bike?
Old 26-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #30
Drumnagorrach

Very neat, how about fitting a thermostat. An article written by David Vizard ( engine tuneing Guru of the Seventies )remarked that oil coolers without thermostic control did more harm than good . I believe he meant that the oil mostly didn't get up to temperature to drive out condensation .
It's certainly been the case here in the north.