UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Cleaning up the beltside of the motor

Old 28-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Cleaning up the beltside of the motor

I just posted this over on another site but realised that most of it is relevant to some monsters as well so have just cut and pasted it here too( possibly less relevant to the newer motors but for the SR series back there might be some interest).
(Although the starter motor cable mod wont work on the 800 engine as its too short, ask me how I know )

The SC series was a range sold primarily on aesthetics (sure as hell wasn't comfort), there are some simple and easy mods you can do to clean up the lines and wires going across the motor especially on the beltside, if like on mine there are windowed belt covers fitted it makes for a very pleasing clean look.
Some of this may involved bolt on bits but most of it just involves a bit of patience and rerouting the OE fixings.

Heres the stock set up

Firstly the starter motor wire.
Unbolt it from your startermotor, cut the zip tie holding it to the other wires until its free right up to the little round plug unit. Carefully thread it through the frame and out the otherside of the crankcase where you can pull it through and route it beneath the otherside of the horizontal cylinder and rebolt it to your starter.
This is a simple job that took me about twenty minutes.

Oil lines.
I bought a Hypermotard oil line from a dealer (you can get a set made up,the cost is similar but all you get is an extra OE spare line to clutter up your garage afterwards) , these look completely stock and match the OE fittings, remove the oil delivery pipe from the right side of the engine (in situ, you may lose a few drops of oil but not much), bolt on the new part to the case and run it up under the front cylinder beside the OE return pipe across the rear of the cooler and attach it as normal.
Again a simple fifteen/twenty minute job.

The rest of the wires are gathered with heatshrink, the way I dealt with this was to start with the oil pressure wire on the side of the sump(I think thats what it is, I get mixed up with the other oil temp wire on top of the case) ,Unplug it and follow the wire up,cut away the heatshrink until this wire is free enough to be routed over the vertical cylinder and down its rear alongside the breather pipe where it can be routed under the clutch and re attached to its sensor.

The wire on top of the crankcase can also be hidden but this is a bit more involved, I intend to do this in good time. It will involve sourcing an oil cooler from a hypermotard 1100 (not the 796 btw) as this has a temperature sensor built into it, again this should be a straight bolt on job after which the wire ought to attach straight onto the new cooler, you can then just remove the sensor from the crankcase and use a blanking plug to seal the aperture.

Any remaining wires from the loom can just be tucked out of sight behind the frame.

This is where I've got so far.

Theres loads of other little jobs like this you can do that dont involve a big cost, just patience.
For instance I'm considering the breather hose, dont want the plug in types (did that on my monster and reverted back to stock) so I'm thinking that a simple(and cheap) overbraid will improve the looks of the stock plastic pipe.

Last edited by Dave G; 30-07-2015 at 07:33 AM..
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Nice start in cleaning up the side view. Good job.

Yorkie
Old 28-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

I like the tubed hangers, they a generic fit for the older thin tube trellis (?), nicer than the cast alloy standard items.
Old 28-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Anything that re-routes the oil cooler pipe has got to be worth considering.
Its a proper nuisance when it comes to removing the belt covers to change the belts.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Remembered this thread from nearly a year ago and looked it up again...

I am in the process of moving the starter cable to the nearside on my M900Sie....The standard one is nowhere near long enough to do this on the 900 and needs a special made.

Sorry to see that the photos have gone from the OP, as I am interested to see the Hypermotard oil line in place. I am wondering if this conversion would work on the 900?
Old 29-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry to see that the photos have gone from the OP, as I am interested to see the Hypermotard oil line in place. I am wondering if this conversion would work on the 900?
They seem to have deleted those but I think you'll like some of the ones they haven't deleted

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/salsajayne/profile/

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
They seem to have deleted those but I think you'll like some of the ones they haven't deleted

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/salsajayne/profile/
Wow a Wee Vee and a 750GT...!...That's too thirds of the way to a hat trick...

Well spotted Dirty.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Dave G
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
They
Oi! Who's this "they" then?

I haven't deleted anything, though can't remember which photos were there originally. I'll have a look around and try and find a them to reinstate the links.

I did do similar to my monster but as Mr gazza found the starter cable was a bit shorter than on my sc, I'd forgotten about this and will get around to fixing it at some stage.
As always stuff like this is an ongoing thing , finding out how other folk manage is always useful.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Anything that re-routes the oil cooler pipe has got to be worth considering.
Its a proper nuisance when it comes to removing the belt covers to change the belts.
I just disconnect it and move it out of the way when taking the covers off to get to the belts- simples!!
Old 29-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

I haven't deleted anything, though can't remember which photos were there originally. I'll have a look around and try and find a them to reinstate the links.

I did do similar to my monster but as Mr gazza found the starter cable was a bit shorter than on my sc, I'd forgotten about this and will get around to fixing it at some stage.
As always stuff like this is an ongoing thing , finding out how other folk manage is always useful.
Thanks for coming back to this Dave.

Do you think the Hyper oil line will work on a M900?
Old 29-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
Dave G
Imagineer

The hyper line is a straight bolt on on my s2r800 and sc1000 so would guess your motor will be the same, the fittings are standard and your engine dimensions will be similar to my 800 engine so can't see it not fitting yours.
I was trying to find a pic of my monster but something hi jacked my phone and I had to delete all my links to get control back, I suspect photobucket with its plethora of crap surrounding any photos, it's why I only use it for hosting pics for links so would not recommend it for anything else.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
Dave G
Imagineer

Hopefully this'll work, you (cant) see the oil line route though the starter cable is fairly obvious.

Must fix that soon....and the pressure sensor as that annoys me too.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you for going to the trouble of finding the photo Dave.

Yes I am confident that it should fit from what I can see....Looks neat.

JMH900sie is making me a long heavy duty cable to my measurements....It's just a matter of running a piece of string along the route you intend and then measure the string....He can do any length.

As for the oil pressure switch, the only solution I can think of is to blank it off and do without.....Plenty do, but not sure it's for me.

Edit..Don't bother trying to contact JMH900sie. He wasn't very good at honouring orders and is no longer a member!!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 04-09-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #14
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
I was trying to find a pic of my monster but something hi jacked my phone and I had to delete all my links to get control back, I suspect photobucket with its plethora of crap surrounding any photos, it's why I only use it for hosting pics for links so would not recommend it for anything else.
I wouldn't use it for anything. I use a script blocker on my browser. Scripts are small programs that web pages run to do various things. Google analytics is one, that looks at what you've been browsing and tailors ads to your history but there are also useful ones. Something like eBay or Youtube probably have about 10 or so, UKMOC 2 or 3. It's all a simple site needs. I just ran up photobucket to look and it got to 30 and counting (if you allow one it might then launch another 1 or 2, I got bored at 30). All these scripts use up your machines resources and slow it down. 30+ is ridiculous when all you want is to look at a picture!

Old 29-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Oops, I assumed multiple participants from the name on the PB account and the name here