UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Richard at Louigi Moto - Top Bloke!!

Old 16-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Richard at Louigi Moto - Top Bloke!!

Sorry guys but I couldn't let a good deed go by without sharing it.

Some of you will have seen the grief I've been having with the bike I bought in some of the other threads. It got to the point where I took the barrel off of the vertical cylinder to find a shattered oil ring.

Before getting parts ordered in I called up Louigi Moto to ask if they would be able to inspect the cylinders to see if they needed to be re-bored or nikasil plated. Richard said to drop by with the barrels, pistons and heads so he could inspect them all. When I asked how much it would cost or how long he would need them he said just bring them around and it'll take him 10 minutes.

I took them around at 17:45 and after a quick examination he said I could either go the expensive route buying new rings and a new piston or we could try and get it back on the road so I could get some use out of it for now. Before I know it he's scrambling around the racks in his parts room trying to find a piston from a 900 but they were all missing oil rings. Then I nearly came away with a big bore conversion with barrels and pistons from an ST2... as tempting as it was I just wanted it working for now instead of adding to the project. But maybe next year... anyway, after more rummaging the only thing we could find was the oil ring from a 916. Richard started reworking and gapping the oil ring to fit while I cleaned up the new replacement piston and rings. While I was finishing up he honed the bores and checked I hadn't messed up my shims.

When we were done I asked what the damage was and all he asked was a contribution to his brew fund!! The guy had just dropped what he was doing and spent over an hour helping to bail me out just so I could get my first bike on the road and actually start using it. I would have been looking at the cost of a new piston/pistons, if I had swapped them both, plus rings.

Had a couple of self induced issues as it went back together but finally had the bike out today, running right, for over an hour. So once again, a massive thank you to Richard for sorting me out!!

www.louigimoto.com
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
vince53

Bike: M1100s
not many like that about anymore , used to be a shop in wellington Somerset like that guy called Mark Uppum , MD motorcycles, know to some as chopper freaks * ) well done louigimoto * )
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
Groovy748

Top bloke, always willing to help and find another way to keep my old '94 Monster going without the complete replace everything approach.
Groovy748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Very helpful guy, he spent a while telling me the pro's and con's of Ducati ownership and maintenance before I bought my bike.
Old 17-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Macflurry

Excellent, sounds like they already have a decent reputation around here. Hopefully this helps to show that they’re still keep up the standards.

I could have spent a couple of hours asking questions about the different bikes they have and I have a feeling Richard would have answered every one of them!! He’s got some interesting stories about keeping race bikes going in an emergency!
Old 17-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Darkness

Agreed about Loui, but may I also put in a good word for his neighbour Del at DW Automotive on the same business park.
Del did an excellent job of painting my frame bronze over a powder coated base.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/cat...5916715460077/
Old 17-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Macflurry

Who do you recommend in the area for powder coating? I want my frame stripped back and redoing. That was going to be my next search in here.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macflurry View Post
Who do you recommend in the area for powder coating? I want my frame stripped back and redoing. That was going to be my next search in here.
Have a word with Nick at “Griff’s Reality Works” in Brizzle. They’ve been doing my stuff for years now.

http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk/

I’m also liking Wesley’s ceramic coating in Sussex, but don’t have much history for that yet:

http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/index.html
Old 17-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
Darkness

Quote:
I want my frame stripped back and redoing. That was going to be my next search in here.
I matched my '93 frame to Lechler 'Mercedes' DB 798 - MA4052M - Sanidinbeige - DB 1798.

That was a match to the unweathered original paint found under the TA tag.

There were photo's on here, but PhotoBugrit decided they didn't like hosting them for free any longer.

Reposted them: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=54536&page=4, but seem to have fallen off the UKMOC site?
Old 17-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Have a word with Nick at “Griff’s Reality Works” in Brizzle. They’ve been doing my stuff for years now.

I’m also liking Wesley’s ceramic coating in Sussex, but don’t have much history for that yet:

http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/index.html
Thumbs up for both and in fact all of the above.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Another high recommendation from a mate who has had 5 frames done and would not use anyone else.

Old 21-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Sorry guys but I couldn't let a good deed go by without sharing it.

Some of you will have seen the grief I've been having with the bike I bought in some of the other threads. It got to the point where I took the barrel off of the vertical cylinder to find a shattered oil ring.

Before getting parts ordered in I called up Louigi Moto to ask if they would be able to inspect the cylinders to see if they needed to be re-bored or nikasil plated. Richard said to drop by with the barrels, pistons and heads so he could inspect them all. When I asked how much it would cost or how long he would need them he said just bring them around and it'll take him 10 minutes.

I took them around at 17:45 and after a quick examination he said I could either go the expensive route buying new rings and a new piston or we could try and get it back on the road so I could get some use out of it for now. Before I know it he's scrambling around the racks in his parts room trying to find a piston from a 900 but they were all missing oil rings. Then I nearly came away with a big bore conversion with barrels and pistons from an ST2... as tempting as it was I just wanted it working for now instead of adding to the project. But maybe next year... anyway, after more rummaging the only thing we could find was the oil ring from a 916. Richard started reworking and gapping the oil ring to fit while I cleaned up the new replacement piston and rings. While I was finishing up he honed the bores and checked I hadn't messed up my shims.

When we were done I asked what the damage was and all he asked was a contribution to his brew fund!! The guy had just dropped what he was doing and spent over an hour helping to bail me out just so I could get my first bike on the road and actually start using it. I would have been looking at the cost of a new piston/pistons, if I had swapped them both, plus rings.

Had a couple of self induced issues as it went back together but finally had the bike out today, running right, for over an hour. So once again, a massive thank you to Richard for sorting me out!!

www.louigimoto.com
Impressive level of service! Thanks for posting this.