UK Monster Owners Club Forum .: Technical :. Mods & How To's » Slow Monster rebuild

Old 15-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #766
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
My "other" bike has conventional forks with gaiters.
The stanchions underneath are 22yrs old and are still perfect, despite many years of total inattention.
So I can understand your thinking on fitting gaiters.
Mine have drainage holes and have never held any water on the few occasions that I've looked underneath.
Darren makes a good point about the seals being less susceptible in usd forks though and my feeling is that protection of the stanchions from stone chips etc is possibly more important than keeping out the dirt and moisture in usd forks.
Either way, its refreshing to see function being considered over style ... there's way too much of the opposite thinking in the bike world these days.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #767
mjgt

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
This is what I've got;

https://www.mandp.co.uk/abba-single-...l-adaptor.html

https://www.abbastands.co.uk/product...adapter&pid=24

Works fine with a 916 rear wheel, can't say for certain if big enough for the larger hub (6-bolt hub/sprocket) bikes which I believe a 1200S is? as the 916 is the smaller 5-bolt hub.

The cone is 60mm at it's widest so provided the hole is no larger then it should be good.

Action pics;

Thanks, that might fit my Speed Triple (I'll measure it up later) but I have the larger hub on my 1200s and my BMW. Do you know the size is the rod? I don't have the abba wheel balancer

Last edited by mjgt; Yesterday at 08:56 AM..
mjgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #768
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Thanks, that might fit my Speed Triple (I'll measure it up later) but I have the larger hub on my 1200s and my BMW. Do you know the size is the rod? I don't have the abba wheel balancer
The rod is 12mm diameter/510mm long.

I don't have the abba balancer either, rather the 35 ebay special which was supplied with the thinner alloy cones (on 12mm shaft) which are fine for conventional 'bearing-ed' wheels as would be the paddock stand with bearings types.

As per abba's website; "Designed to fit most VFR's, Ducati's, Triumphs and some BMW models." so I think it should work with the 1200S as that would be the same as most modern Ducati from 1098 - (larger displacement) Panigale etc. as although the hub is larger, I don't think it's by much?

They also make a different model for BMW K1200S/R, K1300S/R, 1200GS and GS adventure;

https://www.abbastands.co.uk/product...adapter&pid=51

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #769
350TSS

Sitting here with a small headache having been fibre-glassing the patterns today, I wanted to keep the temperature up so the resin cured nicely which meant the door of the shed closed and therefore an excess of acetone fumes. Good progress though as all the “easy” patterns were given a coupling resin coat on the back of the gel coat which was nicely tacky from yesterday and at least one layer of 100g chopped strand mat. Tomorrow they will get 3 layers of 300g chopped strand mat and if the release agent works as it should the following day I will have some moulds.

post pics

350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #770
350TSS

In between coats I thought I would see if I could resolve my brake hanger clearance issue. The more I thought about it and drew it out I could not understand why the disc was not sitting central to the calliper. I was really sure that I had measured it right and made it so that there should not be a problem.
It turns out the problem was a mismeasurement on my part not on the lateral positioning of the disc but rather on the distance of the calliper from the centre of the wheel spindle. I had made my brake hanger and drilled the mounting holes for the calliper 0.5mm too small a radius. This was compounded by the cheapo Chinese disc which had a radiussed outer edge. The edge of the Brembo disc is right angular. So the new disc was c 0.25mm larger than OEM although the machined (wearing) face was the same size.
The bridge of the calliper was fouling the outer edge of the disc and would not permit the hanger when the spindle was inserted to sit square. The spacering of the disc outwards was correct but the calliper could not straddle the disc at right angles.
I had 3 options at this point
1. remake the hanger bracket – I really could not face a Mk 5
2. relieve the inside of the bridge of the calliper by 0.5mm – not easy to do and I do not want any swarf or filings anywhere near the seals (which are OK)
3. reduce the OD of the disc – I checked the pads run inside the OD so no loss of braking swept area and no risk of the pads getting a wear lip on the outer edge.
I came up with this contraption

which put it in the pillar drill and applied a 115mm angle grinder with a floppy abrasive wheel in and the disc is now 1mm smaller on OD (and about 20g lighter).
Lo and behold the brake hanger now fits – result.
upload png
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #771
350TSS

The clearance between the hanger and the disc attachment bolts will be resolved by machining 2mm off the head of the bolts, currently 5.6mm deep which will give we about 1.5mm clearance