UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Having problems firing it up?

Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
EvoStevo

Having problems firing it up?

I've had this problem only a couple of times over the last year. Scenario is, bike starts up no worries. Spend about 45 mins (ish) riding around countryside, at relatively slow speed (around 30 - 50ish), whilst out with a mate who's just passed his CBT. Stopped, this time for fuel, and the bike won't restart.

Symptoms appear to suggest a low charge on battery i.e. struggling to turn it over, lights dipping etc. Waited 10 mins and tried again, same symptoms. Called out breakdown. Waited about 30 mins and tried to start again. This time the bike fired into action with no issues.

Initially I thought I might have a dud battery, but why would it have fired into life so easly after waiting about 40/50 mins? I did notice that the area surrounding the engine felt very warm, however, the instrument panel wasn't suggesting that the engine was running hot. Obviously, once I'd waited for some while, the engine had clearly cooled down.

Any thoughts? Is there some thermo valve that's kicking in too early? Could it really be a battery problem? Am I missing something (other than to stop riding so slowly!!)

Grateful for your thoughts.

Steve
Old 12-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Hi Steve

If the battery voltage is too low, the dash should record a fault code. Push the mode switch on the left bar forward and any fault codes should show up on the display. You can also use the mode switch to see what the battery voltage is; anything over 12.1v with ignition off or around 14v with the engine running.

The ECU uses an intake air sensor to determine the mixture, so that might be playing up (if you've had a Rexxer remap you can see the IAT sensor reading on the dash). But again, I would have thought trigger a fault message on the dash.

Perhaps you've got a marginal earth connection which breaks down when the engine casing heats up and expands but is restored when it cools and contracts.

Hope you sort it quickly (and cheaply!).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Tim88

Bike: M1100evo
EvoSteve,
My 1100evo does this regularly. It won't start from hotter than three bars. I let it cool down, say to two bars (10 mins plus) and it starts right up with no probs. I ride a lot in London so the bike is often at 4 bars sometimes 5, and this gets very annoying at petrol stations when I sometimes have to pretend to do my shopping while the bike cools down a bit to avoid the embarassment of a no start. It feels as if the battery is weak and I replaced it but the problem still persists. From cold the bike always starts, even when the battery is not fully charged. I make a point not to stall in heavy traffic with the bike hot as a restart is not guaranteed! I wonder if the ecu is programmed to provide a super lean mixture at high temp low revs, a mixture too lean to burn at all.
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote