UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Cleaning up the beltside of the motor

Old 28-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #46
Nasher

Bike: M900
Any of you guys that have done this mod fancy selling me your oil line you removed from the belt side?

The braiding on mine is slightly damaged and it's bugging me.

Nasher.
Old 29-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #47
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry Nasher. I want to hang on to all the original stuff that I change on the bike, so that it could potentialy be put back to bog standard one day.

While looking for Hyper' lines, I did notice that standard Monster ones were not too badly priced and fairly easy to find secondhand.
Check which type of fittings you have though before buying. (See post #25)

An alternative might be to put some black heatshrink over the damaged portion if it wouldn't look too out of place.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #48
Murray Mint

So I'm still giving this mod some thought but another thought came to mind, has anyone gone as far as removing the oil cooler and the associated parts and just blanking off the two oil ports out of the engine? Do we have the type of heat that requires an oil cooler?

Just a thought.
Murray Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #49
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Cooler oil will have a longer life, which is better for your moving parts.

You'd also want to remove the deflector plate on the oil filter spigot.

Living in a city with congested roads my inclination would be to add an oil cooler and associated parts to a 600/620 that came without one.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #50
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
First. I think you would have to create a loop between the ports to preserve the essential flow. I believe there is a bypass in case the cooler gets blocked, but not enough for continuous use. Someone who knows better will verify this later hopefully.

You would probably get away with this for eight or nine months of the average year, but we are trending much hotter weather these days and the need for a cooler is getting more relevant.
I was most certainly glad of it a few weeks ago, riding home from Donington with Grumpy in the heat. Crossing Stamford and stopping at lights, I could feel the heat wafting up from the engine.
The tunnel run was another case where the temperature was at near unbearable point, even the water cooled bikes were suffering.
You will notice a temperature rise in traffic on a normal day anyway, the cooler helps with this even when stopped, but soon stabilises things once on the move.

I find that my cooler blanking muff keeps things nice and cosy when air temps are in the lower teens.
I removed it half way to the Weekender in May this year, when it quite dramatically turned into a nice day and I noticed the warm waft coming up from the engine at some road works lights... Just a simple matter of ripping the Velcro off with one hand and stuffing it up my jacket...It's been off all Summer, possibly to go back on in a few weeks time?

Personally, I would keep the cooler and use a muff, but in more Northern climes you might get away without the cooler.
Bypass it and run a temperature gauge to see what happens... You can borrow mine if you like. It just goes in the oil filler hole.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #51
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I think the cooler can be removed without too many problems.
I have seen this discussed before, mostly by some of the guys in the US where the temperatures tend to be a bit hotter than here.
I could only find a couple of relevant threads though, there are more but I dont have time to trawl through them.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=60700.0
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=55884.0
Old 05-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #52
jerry
Old Git

if you remove and block cooler lines you need to remove deflector plate in oil filter too and if putting a cooler on a bike with no cooler you need to fit a deflector plate
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #53
Murray Mint

So it looks like the jury is out on removing the oil cooler. some interesting Dave G.

Thanks for the offer Mr Gazza but at the moment Ill pass.
Murray Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:58 AM   #54
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I found that fitting the DP oil cooler kit to my S4 reduced the average running temp by 10-15% which in my mind was worth doing. It looks like it is smaller than the one on the 900 too, so you'd probably be looking at a similar increase, possibly more.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote