UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Clutch Change Advice

Old 16-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Miky

Clutch Change Advice

Afternoon all

I have to change the clutch on my 750 and I was hoping I could get advice/opinions on a good aftermarket option. From what I've read when going for a OEM wet clutch aftermarket is the way.

Cheers
Old 16-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Miky

So shopping round my first quote was from the garage and that came to £179.68 inc UKMOC discount.
Old 16-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
On Evilbay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321924369654
Old 16-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Assuming you don’t need steel plates Newfren sell friction plates only. Ducati only sell full sets (steel and friction together) If you need both may as well go genuine. The main trouble is you can’t be sure what you need ‘til you’ve opened it up for a look.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Miky

That’s something I hadn’t considered. Thanks Slob
Old 16-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
slob

Don't forget you'll want tube of 3-Bond 1215 silicone sealant.
£15+ for a tube but excellent stuff (use sparingly)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Don't forget you'll want tube of 3-Bond 1215 silicone sealant.
£15+ for a tube but excellent stuff (use sparingly)
Or you could use a traditional gasket available from Exactfit - email first and you’ll get 10% off if you pay through PayPal.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F111640570221
Old 16-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miky View Post
Afternoon all

I have to change the clutch on my 750 and I was hoping I could get advice/opinions on a good aftermarket option. From what I've read when going for a OEM wet clutch aftermarket is the way.
Think differently ... get a used clutch assembly from a 696 which will be an APTC slipper, strip it and check it's good then remove the standard clutch and replace.
Many of the small case engines are made in quite modular families so things fit across a wide range if models. In this case the crank spline and gears should be the same.
You'll end up with a massively lighter clutch, not even adding an aftermarket slave made of unobtanium and hand filed by master craftsmen will give you a lighter action.
Oh and as a bonus you can stomp down the box without locking up the back wheel.

Or just get some aftermarket friction plates, assuming your steel plates are flat.
Old 16-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Think differently ... get a used clutch assembly from a 696 which will be an APTC slipper, strip it and check it's good then remove the standard clutch and replace.
Many of the small case engines are made in quite modular families so things fit across a wide range if models. In this case the crank spline and gears should be the same.
You'll end up with a massively lighter clutch, not even adding an aftermarket slave made of unobtanium and hand filed by master craftsmen will give you a lighter action.
Oh and as a bonus you can stomp down the box without locking up the back wheel.

Or just get some aftermarket friction plates, assuming your steel plates are flat.
Do these 696 clutches fit all Monsters, in particularly 900ie from 2002? This sound like a very good idea!
Old 16-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Assuming you don’t need steel plates Newfren sell friction plates only. Ducati only sell full sets (steel and friction together) If you need both may as well go genuine. The main trouble is you can’t be sure what you need ‘til you’ve opened it up for a look.
Never worked on a wet clutch Monster but I would doubt the steel plates need replacing - I have a 50,000 mile 20 year old 916 which still has the original steels in it - it is a dry clutch bike but I would have thought dry would put more strain on the steels than wet, certainly would get hotter anyway.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Do these 696 clutches fit all Monsters, in particularly 900ie from 2002? This sound like a very good idea!
The 750's have wet clutches so afraid not, not sure about the 748 clutches, mines based on the slim cased motor series and the bottom end clutch side cases fit the 750 series with mod spacers.... might be that the slipper my 748 has would fit a 900 but ... !!

Have to agree with DesmoDuke the metal plates are thick enough to manage some serious abuse and unless you've been amazingly brutal ought to last for a very long time. The oil bath plates last forever, I had a 750 that had 80K on the original clutch and it was fine. My 748R hasn't even done 8K so not sure how much the open slippers wear over a standard clutch but I'd guess more/faster but I'd assume the bulk of any wear would be on the friction plates.
And yes it does get hot when its being ummmmm ridden with spirit
Old 18-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
jerry
Old Git

My M750 wet cluctch is original and has done 37k miles still perfect
my S4 went through and original clutch in 15k new ally basket one with ducati plates has now done 20k and still good
Old 21-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #13
Miky

Whats everyone's opinion on this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272932311542

Im thinking the rust is simply surface and can be cleaned, but then the pessimist in me cant help but wonder why its covered in rust and what condition was the original bike in to have the clutch left like this
Old 21-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Nickj

It's just dark old oil, mostly the basket is alloy so won't rust.
You can see a bit of wear, the dark horizontal bands but it doesn't look too much.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
Miky

Appreciate the feedback - now to get some from the seller