UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Magnetic sump plug metal debris

Old 17-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Claude

Magnetic sump plug metal debris

Hi Guys,

Apologies for my lack of posting...

So, I changed the oil on my 1100 Monster Evo it has a full Ducati Service history. All ok but when I looked at the sump plug I was confronted by this;

I used another magnet to remove the debris which you can see here;

I've done about 30-40 miles since then so dropped the oil again and inspected the sump plug again;

Thoughts kind people?

@luddite

Last edited by Claude; 07-08-2018 at 05:46 AM..
Old 17-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Always a worry!
Could they be pieces of circlip?
Does the 1100 have a gauze strainer? If so have you checked it for any further evidence?
Old 17-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think every Ducati I've owned (12 to date) has been much the same, always some metal filings attached to the sump plug magnet. Granted mine have always been slightly older bikes. I just accept it as normal, never had any further problems to date ...
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Always a worry!
Does the 1100 have a gauze strainer? If so have you checked it for any further evidence?
There is a filter, I've not checked yet as I don't yet have an allen key big enough..

Old 17-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
I think every Ducati I've owned (12 to date) has been much the same, always some metal filings attached to the sump plug magnet. Granted mine have always been slightly older bikes. I just accept it as normal, never had any further problems to date ...
That's comforting
Old 17-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have been caught out without a big enough Allen key in the past.
Sometimes you can use a good fitting bolt head as an Allen key, either with two locknuts on the thread to engage in a socket, or just very carefully use mole grips on the bolt shaft.

Of course these days you can have the correct tool dropping through the letterbox tomorrow.
Old 17-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
As Zimbo says, the magnet will always show some "filings" to a greater or lesser degree, but the ring fragments are not normal. Have you kept them? Could you photograph them against a ruler so we can size them up? Can you work out the approximate diameter from these pieces? It could help to determine where they've come from.

I've been looking in the parts manual, and there are quite a few shims and, what they call, "snap rings" (number 7) in the gear box - I wonder if it could be one of those.

In view of what you've found already, Mr Gazza's advice to check the gauze filter is definitely worth taking. You'll need a 14mm allen socket and you'll also have to remove the exhaust link pipe. It's a hassle but, in the circumstances, worth the effort. When replacing it, tighten the filter itself and the plug to 42Nm. Make sure too that the washer goes back the right way round.

If you have kept the fragments, try showing them to your friendly Ducati mechanic - he might be able to identify the part from the remains.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
Claude

Didn’t keep the pieces no. Will grab an Allen key and take a look at the gauze.
Old 18-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Check the radius - should be able to work out the approximate size of the ring to get an idea of what it might be; circlip/snap ring, piston ring etc.

Never good to find anything more than a few small 'filings' on the magnet, here's what I found last year;

turned out to be a gearbox bearing.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Luddite

This is what the "snap ring" from the gearbox actually looks like:

To me, it looks similar in thickness and curve to what you found. If nobody has a better suggestion, it might be worth ordering one (they're only about 80p - part no. 067016145) then you can see if it's like what you found.
Old 18-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Nasher

Bike: M900
The debris looks far too small to be a section of snap ring to me.

Click on the original image, then when it appears in a new window click on it again which will magnify it. The scale against the sump plug and pattern on the kitchen roll show it to be very small.

It looks more like the debris from a stripped thread to me.

Nasher.
Old 18-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #12
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
It looks more like the debris from a stripped thread to me.
Thinking outside the (gear)box, Nasher!

As the pieces appear to be magnetic, any idea where they could come from? The usual suspect for a stripped thread is the sump plug hole, but that would be aluminium.

Claude, did the pieces feel solid and sturdy or could you bend or twist them easily? If solid, it sounds like a failed component but if bendy, then Nasher may be correct.
Old 18-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Thinking outside the (gear)box, Nasher!

As the pieces appear to be magnetic, any idea where they could come from? The usual suspect for a stripped thread is the sump plug hole, but that would be aluminium.

Claude, did the pieces feel solid and sturdy or could you bend or twist them easily? If solid, it sounds like a failed component but if bendy, then Nasher may be correct.
Can’t really remember to be honest. They were very small though that much is very true.

It’s got me really paranoid to the point I’m considering getting rid.
Old 19-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Can’t really remember to be honest. They were very small though that much is very true.

It’s got me really paranoid to the point I’m considering getting rid.
I can't offer any further technical advice beyond what has been said, but I understand your paranoia. I can get like that about issues I have with my bike, but when I look objectively at someone else's issue I can be more logical. From what you and others have said, and assuming the pieces are really small I would not get rid of the bike, I'd just change the oil again after a few hundred miles, and if nothing there treat it to another change after a 1000 miles, or something along those lines. If it did get worse or re-occur I couldn't sell it on without fixing it or informing the buyer.
Old 31-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #15
Luddite

Popped into Moto Rapido today and showed your pictures to Joe, one of their mechanics. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to identify the parts from the photos but, like Mr Gazza, he did suggest checking the gauze filter as he said that should have trapped more particles than the magnet.

He did say he didn't think it was one of the gearbox snap rings though, as he'd never heard of one failing in use.

Post up photos of anything you find and keep the bits for identification purposes.