UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Could this be my answer to having a monster and going off road?

Old 06-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Kingfisher88

Could this be my answer to having a monster and going off road?

As some may know I loved my old monster and still love them despite having and orange off road think atm. Unfortunately due to finance and storage i cant have 2 bikes atm. I love going off road but love monsters too.
Came across this earlier, they called it a terra monster...
What are your thoughts? It's different I guess...

218401823-l
Old 06-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Cool AF. But probably a bit rubbish.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Darkness

Bike: M900
Take a look at the swingarm mount. If it hasn’t been strengthened you’ll be ripping the back end of the engine cases apart in no time off road.

If you like Monsters and off reading check out the Cagiva Elefants and Grand Canyons. Ducati L Twins in off road chassis with Dakar connections.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Kingfisher88

Ooh I'll have a look. To be fair I like the monster how they are but just saw this an thought it was interesting.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Better off with the scrambler desert sled
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It's interesting alright and works aesthetically. It'll probably make a fairly competent off roader too, but I think it would be pants on the road with knobblies and that tiny little front brake... Bit of a waste of a Monster really?

You need a bigger shed so you can start your collection...
Old 06-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
Kingfisher88

Definitely need a bigger shed..
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher88 View Post
As some may know I loved my old monster and still love them despite having and orange off road think atm. Unfortunately due to finance and storage i cant have 2 bikes atm. I love going off road but love monsters too.
Came across this earlier, they called it a terra monster...
What are your thoughts? It's different I guess...
That bike has been around for some time and I think it is a well executed attempt at an off road Monster but as Darkness suggests it would be very compromised if taken seriously off road but there clearly is a market for such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Better off with the scrambler desert sled
Completely agree with Albie on this and the 'Sled is the only model of the Scrambler range which is approved by Ducati to be used off road having a strengthened frame and revised swing arm mount.

In fact they appear so good- Henry Crew took one around the world covering 55,000 miles on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbWBFyMWec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
It's interesting alright and works aesthetically. It'll probably make a fairly competent off roader too, but I think it would be pants on the road with knobblies and that tiny little front brake... Bit of a waste of a Monster really?

You need a bigger shed so you can start your collection...
Personally I think if you just wanted it for going down some of the farm tracks (essentially just muddy pot holed roads) it'd be okay and it does work quite well - I think Ducati caught on to the idea of a lighter more manageable (to the Multistrada Enduro) off road bike with the 'Sled version of the Scrambler.

A handful of years ago I got into green laning on Suzuki's DRZ400 (bit too big for me really- as are the Orange bikes unfortunately) before getting a DR350 which was much more manageable and old school (skool) enough to suit the lanes I enjoyed most and was very surprised at the liberties you can get away with on the road with modern knobbly rubber. As for the tiny front brake- it probably isn't as tiny as it looks if you think the front wheel is either a 19 or even more off road suitable 21'' item plus a smaller diameter disc is less likely to get covered in mud, less likely to get damaged in a drop and is not over the top powerful on the road or slippery surfaces.

We do ALL need bigger sheds and garages though!!

Last edited by Flip; 08-09-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I like the way that Terra bike looks.

I don't like off roading on heavy bikes at all. Stopping a heavy bike on a slippery surface (because of the momentum) doesn't work regardless of the brakes. Picking up a 620 all day would be something I'd prefer to avoid. I really don't want 180kgs landing on top of me! I expect its even worse on an 800 Desert Sled (actually another 17kgs worse).

Still I'm like you in as much as I want my Monster & to go off road. My solution has been to get a cheap old Suzuki 2 stroke. Lightweight, simple & purpose built. Its almost ready for an MOT after a fair amount of easy work. Knobblies on the road are not too bad at typical speed of these bikes, though they do wear quickly.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 08-09-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #10
Darkness

Old 08-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea, Off roading on a 600cc+ heavyish roadbike is gonna be hard work when it starts slipping and sliding about ot falls over on you!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Never ridden one but they aren't too pretty are they!
Old 08-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I really wouldn't fancy hauling a RAID style 900 Elefant around anything but they did do the job BUT that was on sand and the racing style there is fast as possible for as long as possible. Not quite the ethos for the remaining green lanes in the UK.

The US Overland mostro conversion does look neat, more an off road bike than say the scrambler which is purely a very mildly dirt styled road bike. Interestingly they're probably very similar in ready to roll mass, just one is a bit lower and probably more manageable for that.

Reviews have been consistently good on these but they are a tad expensive. Did they ever do the DIY 'kit' for this conversion??
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
The return of the Elefant?

Scrambler 1100 Desert X concept

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #15
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I think, well for what was my style of riding off road, it's bloody difficult to beat a well set up 2T. I did a few years on various KTM's, mostly the 300 EXC which was just worked. Fluid to ride from low speed up and wickedly quick at the top end
I also did a season using a hopped up honda XR250,new suspension, bigger bore, re-cammed, flat slide and a bit of head work and while it did OK it was always hard work and I never really gelled with it. Cost quite a bit too when you totted up all the 'extras' to make it competitive.