UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Marco Simoncelli Foundation

Old 26-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Marco Simoncelli Foundation

Hi Folks

I’ve been contacted by Mirco Mirri, who is travelling round Europe on his Sic58 tribute Monster 1000ie. He will be in London/South East next Saturday (31st August) I’m still having some difficulty getting around after my crash in May but hope to meet him somewhere to say hello, maybe Bikeshed? but open to suggestions. If anyone else is up for this, please let me know and we’ll sort something out. I’m waiting for him to confirm his ferry details and will post again when i know more.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
It may be too far South of London but the Ducati Roadshow is visiting Whiteways Café at Bury Hill (North of Arundel) on the South Downs on the 31st August.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
It was nice to see a couple of Sic58 merch stands at Silverstone on Sunday. At least, I think it was nice and hopefully not just some chancers continuing to cash in on a much loved and missed character in the GP paddock!
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
slob

Marco’s Dad, Paolo, runs the Sic58 Moto3 team (Antonelli & Suzuki)
https://www.sic58squadracorse.it/en/

The Foundation is a charity set up in his name and memory
https://www.fondazionemarcosimoncelli.it/en/who-we-are
Old 27-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
slob

Whiteways sounds great but there’s no way I can get myself down there, since I’m still on crutches and wearing a back brace.

It sounds as though he’s set on heading for London anyway, he’s on a 7:45 ferry from Calais, so I’m going to plan on heading down to the Bikeshed for 10ish. If anyone fancies joining us for brunch, let me know and I’ll book a table to suit.

Unless there’s a significant number of members heading down to Whiteways, in which case I’ll try to divert him and put you in contact...

... I’m still trying to figure out how ULEZ deals with foreign registered vehicles, if anyone knows or has better google-fu than I do, let me know

Last edited by slob; 27-08-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Old 27-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
... I’m still trying to figure out how ULEZ deals with foreign registered vehicles, if anyone knows or has better google-fu than I do, let me know
Foreign vehicles are still subject to the charge although enforcing non-payment seems unlikely. This from https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...affect-me.html

"Non-UK registered vehicles will also need to pay the ULEZ charge to drive in the zone if they do not meet the emissions standards.
That said, the chances of them being caught for non compliance is extremely limited.
This is because gaining access to vehicle keeper information across the EU, in the case of law enforcement, is notoriously difficult."
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
BigOz

I'll head for the Bikeshed if the plan goes that way.
Old 27-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
slob

cool, I think it’s just outside the charging zone (as long as they don’t get lost/take a wrong turn) They’ll be, 2 bikes, coming up from Dover.
Old 27-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Doggy

Bike: M796
Sorry , I'm working or would have joined you as never been to the bike shed!
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
slob

We met Mirco and David, both really nice guys. Mirco Rode from Rovigo to Arras yesterday and the pair rode to London this morning, had brunch, went to see Tower Bridge and headed back towards Dover via Canterbury. After another overnight near Arras, Mirco will head back to Italy in the morning, that’ll be about 2000 miles in three days! all with a mission to honour his memory of SuperSic.

Old 31-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Moco1961

Impressive

Wow, that's dedication and a fantastic paint job, looks like a great place to meet up Rob. Those boys are putting in some impressive miles.

Good to see you out and about again, looks like the line dancing classes may still be on hold though.i am trying to figure if Oz's tee is an anagram or a brand!
Old 31-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
Flip

Bike: M900
I would so liked to have been there for that-the photos look great and an awesome ride.

I am (was?) a massive Marco fan back from his 250 days riding the Aprilia re-badged as a Gilera.

It's difficult to describe the 'Marco effect' exactly, no one can say he wasn't exciting to watch race. But from something he said in an interview was one of the reasons I decided to finally get off my ass and actually start racing instead of making excuses for not.

His passing it fraught with clichés but for me it was similar to when I heard the news of Kurt Cobaine or more recently Chester Bennington who were both massive influences musically at various points in my life. Obviously their deaths were very different but the holes left are similar.

Anway, I know they're personal things, not everyone is a fan etc. but while there's an 'inky' photo here's mine from a few years ago:

Last edited by Flip; 31-08-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #13
slob

Also a good meeting from a club point of view, Mirco is in the process of starting a Ducati Monster Veneto club, which opens up more social possibilities in Northern Italy and I now have contact with David near Arras. I’ve also been on contact with Ducati Performance Club VP, a little North of Paris as a result of this visit.

... and Mirco brought a handful of freebie tickets for the Sic58 museum in Coriano, which will be nice for a few members at WDW next year.
Old 31-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #14
BigOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
.i am trying to figure if Oz's tee is an anagram or a brand!
It's from the Youtube channel AvE, one of his many unique phrases.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
SteveG

Great paint job and yes, have to admire their dedication to Marco!

At the risk of turning the thread into an online version of the word game of Call My Bluff(yes, I am that old..) ....Spookily....Skookum... It’s apparently also a word for Monster..

A skookum is a variety of mountain giant or monster similar to the Sasquatch or Bigfoot.[2] In the surviving Chinuk-Wawa spoken in Grand Ronde, Oregon, this variant is pronounced differently—skoo-KOOM—but when used in English with this meaning, it is pronounced the same way as the "big and strong" meaning.”..(from the fountain of truth that is WickedPedia)..
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote