UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Forks & Upgrades?

Old 18-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #31
Wasta

Bike: M900
Having done a fork swap, the threads on here, I would go for the cartridge kit option or a revalve. The actual swap was easily done but I ended up having to source a whole new front end as the axle shaft needed to be a different size and the caliper mounts were different.

Also time gets eaten up with finding the parts and waiting for delivery. Mine is still not on the roads as I have no spare time at the moment as life gets in the way.

Listen to Flip, he speaks sense.

Whatever you choose to do post a thread about it.
Old 18-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #32
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasta View Post
Having done a fork swap, the threads on here, I would go for the cartridge kit option or a revalve. The actual swap was easily done but I ended up having to source a whole new front end as the axle shaft needed to be a different size and the caliper mounts were different.

Also time gets eaten up with finding the parts and waiting for delivery. Mine is still not on the roads as I have no spare time at the moment as life gets in the way.

Listen to Flip, he speaks sense.

Whatever you choose to do post a thread about it.
I hadn't really considered the possible (probable) complications of axels brakes etc needing replacement as an unintended complication & cost... Thanks for the real life experience, to me that counts for alot.

Yes I am happy to hear all opinions and follow advice from those who "have already been there & done that" - young Flip is certainly one of those.

I will certainly post a thread once things are decided with details of costs, problems & benifits. Might even include a pic or two!
Old 18-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #33
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Both should bolt straight in. 50/54mm tops and the same spindle size.
They may be over-sprung, since the water cooled bikes are a little heavier but I’m not sure.
Most likely the springs will be stiffer.

I have 916 forks in my M900 that I had previously resprung for my weight when in the 916 but in the Monster they were super stiff and needed re-springing again - this due to a 916 being some 15-20kg heavier than a Monster, although a water cooled monster may not be so much heavier than an air cooled as the SBK?

As for the fitting, I needed to bore the top yoke from 50 to 53mm and sleeve the bottom yoke from 54 to 53mm.

Also needed 916 spindle and bar risers to allow clearance for the adjusters under the handlebars (compensated for the rise by using flat bars), if using a mech speedo you may also need the drive unit and new wheel bearings if it's not already 25mm?.

They work very well, especially because I also fitted radial calipers at the same time for better braking.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #34
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

An update.

As some of you might remember I bought a Nitron rear RT1 shock at the end of summer '19 from Zimbo here on the forum . It needed a service and a spring so by the time that was sent off to Nitron & returned there was no hurry to fit it as I'm a summer softie rider! LOL. Then Covid of course arrived and as my little Suzuki Ts185ER was newly refurbed, the little riding I did last year was on that.

Finally I've just had it fitted. My first ride out with it was today and I am pleased to say that the difference is a revelation and well worth paying for. The bike simply sits properly on the road now and the overly stiff ride is totally gone. Now of course it may be in part due to this shock having the correct spring for my weight, and also it is properly set up with sag etc, but still this shock -as recommended by several here thanks Flip!- works for me.

I also had a slipper clutch fitted which was another (different) forum purchase. I really like the dry clutch sound, so having one of these with the half billet cover is a great bit of fun & bling. Now the unexpected bonus is my clutch is now as light as any I've ever had on any bike. My standard one was typical, doable but heavy and made in town stop start somewhat irksome. Those days are now well & truly over!

All the above was done together with new belts, pads & oil change. The bike really feels like it's brand new, which considering its 19 years old & coming up to 40K isn't too shabby. After not riding it for so long, the deep sound and the powerful engine were wonderful to enjoy again.

I know everyone says it, but I really can't imagine ever parting with this bike.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 16-05-2021 at 08:05 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #35
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Looking good Jez,glad you're out having some fun on the bike at last

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #36
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea, looking good! I even don't mind the tail chop The slipper clutch is one of my favorite mods, it's so much better and improves the riding experience in so many ways. Not cheap but well worth doing.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #37
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
Looking good Jez,glad you're out having some fun on the bike at last

Kimbo
Your shock was a major contribution to a great day and many more to come. Thanks again!
Old 17-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #38
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Yea, looking good! I even don't mind the tail chop The slipper clutch is one of my favorite mods, it's so much better and improves the riding experience in so many ways. Not cheap but well worth doing.
Thanks Darren.

From just one days ride, I agree its a top mod. Obviously cost is an issue, especially now for many people including me. Thats why I found a good used one! Still when you think of a slipper or a shiny and somewhat noisier exhaust -its comparatively very cheap. At the risk of being a heretic, having experienced both, I'd want a slipper over a Termi every time.